Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

is TRANSFORMERS box set worth it?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-04-02, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pondering on if I should return my sealed TRANSFORMERS box set (got it 10% off at Best Buy) in order to get three of the recent Batman Animated DVDs, and simply pick up the Tranformers single discs down the line. Is that 4th disc really worth it? Please let me know before I succumb to temptation and break the seal on theat baby. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-04-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 4th disc isn't anything particularly riveting. Mostly notes on remastering process, a script, bumpers, and some stuff on Botcon. Although I would keep the set just for the cool case.

I have a feeling that if you're questioning it you probably don't need it. When watching the TV series you can't help but think how good the movie is in comparison (story and animation-wise), although the series is good for nostalgia and some occasionally unintentionally-humorous parts.

I'm enjoying the set but I can understand those who might not. Which Batman movies, out of curiosity?
Old 05-04-02, 09:12 PM

BATMAN - THE LEGEND BEGINS, RETURN OF THE JOKER UNCUT and SUBZERO.
Old 05-04-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would pass on Subzero and get Mask of the Phantasm instead, if you don't already have it. That is, if you decide to pick them up instead.
Old 05-05-02, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me, although the fourth disc is a weak attempt at extras, the box set is worth it.

It came down to either the box set or the three discs for the same price and I went with the box, just because it is much cooler than the individuals.
Old 05-05-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Agreed - the 4th disc is a waste. But if the price evens out, keep the box vs individuals.
Old 05-05-02, 12:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to DVD Reviews.
Old 05-06-02, 01:54 AM
Suspended

Of course - what the heck were people expecting when it comes to a nearly 18 year old series for kids? Extenive behind the scenes stuff? Although I would have like to see - oh, say some toy ads, what they had was fine.
Old 05-12-02, 07:22 AM

I actually liked the extras on the 4th disc. The description on the whole transfer process was interesting, and the comparisons between original broadcast and transfer is pretty neat-- they show clips from what looked to be every episode. The bumpers and intros were cool to watch, especially the Japanese versions. The Botcon videos showed how scary convention people can be...!
Old 05-14-02, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being that every time I watch it, I get hit with a bit of nostalgia - I'd definately recommend it. However, that's based off the fact tha I grew up on this and GI Joe. I believe they did a really good job with refreshing this for DVD and the 5.1 sound is a nice touch. I guess in the long run, your either a fan or not. If your not much of a fan, then you may opt for the individually packaged disc so you can save a few bucks.

I loved it and can't wait for season 2.
Old 05-16-02, 01:23 PM

i love this set as well... they did a good job with the transfer on to dvd..

i also cant wait for season two...
Old 05-17-02, 12:45 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

nice boxset.