Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

cel shading trend

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-02, 01:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cel shading trend

it seems that game companies are starting to think that it's cool to cel shade their games but everybody i know doesn't like it at all. wonder why they continue to do it? for games like jet set radio it fits but others it's a terrible idea.
Old 05-02-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can it make it better for Jet Set and other s a terrible idea? I think the cell shaded Zelda is an amazing idea...it'll be like playing a cartoon! But that new game XIII, a cell shaded first-person shooter, now that is not a good idea IMO. I thikn Cell shading is good, but it can be overused.
Old 05-02-02, 02:37 PM

Cel-shading is good for the anime Japanese games. It tries to retain the animation look in a 3D world. Sadly, Western companies can't pull it off well since they don't have a real purpose like the Japanese do. To them, it's only a business fad. Just look at XIII.
Old 05-02-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVD Lamer
Cel-shading is good for the anime Japanese games. It tries to retain the animation look in a 3D world. Sadly, Western companies can't pull it off well since they don't have a real purpose like the Japanese do. To them, it's only a business fad. Just look at XIII.
Isn't XIII based on a comic? Perhaps that's why they decided on cel shading...to make it look more like the source material.
Old 05-02-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem I have with cel shading is it makes everything look too "flat". Almost like 2-D characters that have been inserted into a 3-D game.

The new Robotech game is going to be cel shaded. As are Dragon's Lair and Superman for PS2. And from what I've seen they all have that "flat" look in the screen shots. What they will look like when played is another story though. I imagine cel shading will look better if game developers work with it more. But for now I'd prefer the "traditional" 3-D rendered characters.

Robb
Old 05-02-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i like cel shading. why? b/c i don't like traditional paste the texture onto polygons. for example, what's the point of having clothes texture on but it has no depth (real surface texture)? or a stone floor texture on the ground, but it's smooth as glass... it's fake so at least cel shading tries to have an artistic bent to the whole thing.

besides, cel shading is happening in like 5 games out of 500...

i think computer graphics have come a long way, but it still has a long way to go.

---

basically, it seems like the computer graphics people are trying to recreate reality w/ the traditional methods. since it's not working, might as well make it look fake, imo.
Old 05-02-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
it looks nice one some. but others it just flat out sucks. look at House of the dead III
Old 05-02-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
it looks nice one some. but others it just flat out sucks. look at House of the dead III
Look at my post in the HotD3 thread.
Old 05-02-02, 11:27 PM

I can't wait till they come out with cel shaded Pac Man
Old 05-03-02, 12:03 AM

For XIII, only the characters are cel-shaded to give the "comic look." The world itself is still looks like a 3D FPS. It looks like **** because the cel-shading isn't pulled off correctly. Cel-shading is still a new technique for companies to master. Many Japanese companies are trying it out but still looks wierd. But not crappy like XIII is. Even though many Japanese companies haven't master it yet, they still blend the cel-shading in with the 3d world better than Ubisoft is doing.
Old 05-04-02, 09:20 PM

Cel-Shading looks terrible and is just an excuse because they can't create good graphics.
Cel-Shading looks like the old kids toy "Colorforms" where you peel off the flat plastic people and items and stick them on a background.

Cel-Shading equals Colorforms fun.

Last edited by WOWZY; 05-04-02 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-04-02, 09:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by WOWZY
Cel-Shading looks terrible and is just an excuse because they can't create good graphics.
Cel-Shading looks like the old kids toy "Colorforms" where you peel off the flat plastic people and items and stick them on a background.

Cel-Shading equals Colorforms fun.
Gimmie a break! I'm sure Sega could have made equally awesome graphics with Jet Set Radio, they chose a very stylized look on purpose, not because they can't program beautiful graphics.