Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Moby's Area: 2 Festival tour announced

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-02-02, 08:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Found this on NME: Moby, David Bowie, Avalanches, Busta Rhymes and others yet to be announced.

The Tour List:

Bristow Nissan Pavilion (July 28)
Camden Tweeter Center (30)
Holmdel PNC Bank Arts Center (31)
Wantagh Jones Beach Amphitheater (August 2)
Mansfield Tweeter Center (3)
Toronto Molson Amphitheater (5)
Clarkston DTE Energy Music Center (6)
Tinley Park Tweeter Center (8)
Denver Pepsi Center (10)
Irvine Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (13)
Mountain View Shoreline Amphitheater (14)
George The Gorge (16)
Old 05-02-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Bowie were to dip into his classic back-catalog, this might be worth the price of admission. But since this is a sample-happy electronica, nu music sort of event, no doubt we'll be "treated" (and I do use that word loosely) to one of Bowie's more recent experimental sound collages. I've seen the man live three times and I've yet to see him perform "Scary Monsters."

And yes, I am bitter.

Since Moby live is essentially the same as watching the littlest Hare Krishna publicly spazz out at his keyboard (you mean I paid $40 for something I could have seen at the airport for free?) and since the Avalanches are almost entirely sample pastiche, not to mention the fact that Busta-Rhymes perpetually stoned Alf-alfa schtick is beyond tired - I think I'll just take a big pass on this one.

Mega-tours in this age of corporate radio just aren't what they used to be, are they?

As far as I'm concerned the dominance of Clear Channel (and Ticketmaster) is the first real sign of the apocalypse.
Old 05-02-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by grunter

since the Avalanches are almost entirely sample pastiche
I've never seen them perform, but from what I've read, for their non-DJ shows they put together a live band. Not sure how well they translate their sample-based record, though. Anyway, I doubt it'll just be them spinning records or something like that.

I'll have to see who the rest of the acts are, but from the posted list I believe that last year's tour was more attractive to me (not that I was able to go, mind you). I mean, anything with the Roots is worth the ticket price - the rest of the bands are just icing.
Old 05-02-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm attracted to part of this list. I've seen Bowie twice (last time was 12 years ago) and he played all his hits both times. For me it would be interesting to see him do his new stuff even though I have no clue what it sounds like! But at least Moby has tried to get some interesting bands (except for Busta).

I was kind of ticked last year that New Order only toured on the west coast and I couldn't see them here in Atlanta. I'm curious what other acts he'll have this year.