Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MTVx is gone!

Old 05-01-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MTVx is gone!

I can't believe this. MTV decided to replace MTVx with those new MTV Jams and Hits channels. This is completely stupid, do we really need 4 pop/rap stations? I mean god, MTV2 used to be cool when they played real music, but now they are just as bad as mtv. The ONLY reason I kept my digital cable was because of MTVx. This move basically kills any chance of real rock/metal bands videos being played on tv at all.

Anyone else gonna miss this station?
Old 05-01-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't understand why there was ever a need for a MTV Jams channel when there's already a VH1 Soul channel owned by the same damn company (with the same playlist)!
MTV2 now also plays about 60% rap/R&B!

I already miss MTVX
Old 05-01-02, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Damn this really pisses me off! God forbid MTV play any kind of fcking rock ever!! That channel was so awesome, I would just leave it on all day sometimes. So how many damn hip hop, rap, r&b, pop bullshyit channels are there now.
Old 05-02-02, 12:35 AM
Retired

That sucks. That was the only music channel I liked as I only listen to rock and despise hip hop, R&B, rap etc.
Old 05-02-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BS
Old 05-02-02, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, I never saw MTVx.

It seems MTV can't help but ruin a good thing. The Osbournes is the first thing I've watched and enjoyed on MTV in a long, long time.

Let's see, originally, it was videos. And life was good.

Then came that mediocre game show, Remote Control. Cheesy, but it still dealt with music and videos. MTV is still ok.

At some point, someone thought that Yo! MTV Raps playing 24/7 was a good thing.... at the height of heavy metal glam rock. Hmmm... ok. At least it's still music.

MTV becomes inconsistent over the next few years. Some things are really really good (120 minutes), some things good, but have dubious ties to music (Beavis and Butthead), some things good, but don't need to be on MTV (first few seasons of Real World), and some things just pathetic (Singled Out).

Around 1994, the bottom falls out. Music goes away completely, and MTV is a lifestyle channel. When they do show videos, it's typically either very early in the morning, or it's just clips on something like TRL. MTV sucks. This situation has yet to be resolved. Too much "entertainment", not enough videos.

So they started MTV2. To focus on the "M" that's been missing from MTV. Cool. I can finally watch videos again. For about two days, I think. Quickly, this channel has degenerated into showing the most esoteric videos on the face of the planet. Hey, I like the occaisional strange video, but I can't remember the last time I turned it on and saw something I recognised. In a sense, I feel like I'm watching cartoon network. All this wonderful back catalog to choose from, and they play this crap? Whatever.

Sadly, I'm finding myself watching more and more VH1. At least their shows are actually about music.
Old 05-02-02, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish MTV2 was more esoteric. When I turn over to that station it's usually as crappy as all the other music channels. I didn't know MTVx was changing. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me because the hard rock they were playing was as bad as the horrendous R&B that is always on some channel. Last night I channel surfed 5 music channels.

VH1 Soul Duh. Soul.
Classic VH1 B52's "Love Shack" seen a million times
MTVx Cheesy rap
MTV2 Cheesy R&B
Much Music More incredibly bad rap

Okay, I'm not against rap or R&B (I'd prefer something funky
instead), but why does it seem EVERY time I watch these channels that is what is playing? It's weird to me. Is this music really THAT popular?
Old 05-02-02, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MTV wants to kill rock and roll, why else would they make Andrew W.K. a buzzclip.
Old 05-02-02, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering about that. MTV seems to be hell bent on replacing music with hip-hop and pop.
Old 05-02-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MTV's about making money - pure and simple. They were never really "about the music".

Boy-bands and cheesy rap/R&B is easy and cheap to produce and even easier to promote. Hence their fast proliferation in MTV scheduling.

Until pop and rap stop raking in the dough - which will probably be never since Soundscan inflates and skews the popularity of these releases beyond all measure - MTV will never play rock again.

Ironic don't you think? When "The Osbournes" a sitcom about one of heavy-metal rock's biggest icons is the most popular program EVER in the history of the channel, yet the channel itself no longer plays that genre or style of music.

Makes you think.

(Of course, you'd need decent rock to play anyway. And Tool, by itself, just ain't cuttin' it.)
Old 05-02-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by grunter
Ironic don't you think? When "The Osbournes" a sitcom about one of heavy-metal rock's biggest icons is the most popular program EVER in the history of the channel, yet the channel itself no longer plays that genre or style

I thought that was funny too. I guess the change is coming right in time though because next week is the last episode of the osbournes.

I've noticed over the past year that MTV has been playing more actual videos than they were a few years ago, but they are still just the same 10 videos from TRL over and over and over again.

I think MTVx was probably their last chance at keeping any viewers over the age of 15 on their network. Ohwell, I guess it's back to downloading DivX videos .
Old 05-02-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu

I've noticed over the past year that MTV has been playing more actual videos than they were a few years ago, but they are still just the same 10 videos from TRL over and over and over again.
The hot rumor as of late -- TRL is getting canned.
Old 05-02-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Yancey

The hot rumor as of late -- TRL is getting canned.

Really? I always thought TRL was one of their most popular shows. That would be crazy, but I did notice that it's a half hour shorter than it used to be.
Old 05-02-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu

Really? I always thought TRL was one of their most popular shows. That would be crazy, but I did notice that it's a half hour shorter than it used to be.
They always changed how long it was. Sometimes it would be 2 hours long, sometimes and hour and a half, sometimes an hour.

I haven't heard about it getting canceled, although anytime these days I have flipped to it it seems as if some other annoying MTV VJ was hosting or a celebrity guest instead of Carson Daly.
Old 05-03-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
What I didn't understand, was how could MTVx get away without showing any commercials? How did they pay the bills?
Old 05-05-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone has started a petition to try and get MTV X reinstated. It wasn't me, so comments about the content or message aren't going to get to the author through this thread.

Even though it probably won't make a difference, I signed the petition, and encourage anyone else who enjoyed MTV X to do so too. If there is a remote chance they could bring it back, this could push the decision in our favor. Here is the link:

http://www.petitiononline.com/3825/petition.html

We'll keep our fingers crossed...