Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

From Hell-good blind purchase???

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-01-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

opinions?
Old 05-01-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
I liked it a lot, but you have to think of it as a straight-up horror movie, not a historically accurate recreation of the case.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi.../fromhell.html
Old 05-01-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks josh-thats why i posed the question out here.. i read your review of it this morning and it piqued my interest..sounds pretty damn good..im just curious what others thought of it
Old 05-01-02, 03:43 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Expecting a historically accurate flick is just batty. Regardless, like the man says, if you embrace it for what it is (and strives to be) ... you'll discover what may be the classiest slasher flick ever. Take a chance, you'll enjoy it.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3761
Old 05-01-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
The movie itself received mixed reviews. There wasn't really any consensus on it. At the very least, I'd say it was a competent horror/thriller.

As far as the historical accuracy goes, the movie is in a somewhat strange place. The source material, a graphic novel by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell, isn't really meant to be an accurate historical fiction. Even Moore himself has said the he doesn't think ****** was the Ripper, but he used that theory to tell a polemic involving magick and politics. Some of this gets lost in the movie, especially the magickal elements of the story, as much material had to be cut in order to have a managable running time. Not mention that the more esoteric elements would likely have turned off lots of people or, more likely, gone right over the tops of their heads. The movie was also structured as a conventional whodunnit, whereas the book is told from the point of view of the Ripper.

The DVD, though, has been getting rave reviews from The Digital Bits, DVD File, and DVD Shrine. I'll be adding it to my collection. Just be sure you pick up the two disc set, because it will apparently only be available for a limited time.
Old 05-01-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

of course only you can decide what you like. Here’s my take. Beautifully filmed, stylish visuals glued on to a particleboard of tedious dialog and emotionless, unconvincing performances. The story unfolds without tension or suspense. In From Hell the Hughes Brothers have crafted a boring slide show of disjointed vignettes that feature too many back-stories woven together without artistic skill and punctuated by one of the most heavy-handed scores this side of John Williams. Like a hot, cheap trophy date, From Hell engages the eyes but not the soul.
Old 05-01-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by audrey
of course only you can decide what you like. Here’s my take. Beautifully filmed, stylish visuals glued on to a particleboard of tedious dialog and emotionless, unconvincing performances. The story unfolds without tension or suspense. In From Hell the Hughes Brothers have crafted a boring slide show of disjointed vignettes that feature too many back-stories woven together without artistic skill and punctuated by one of the most heavy-handed scores this side of John Williams. Like a hot, cheap trophy date, From Hell engages the eyes but not the soul.
Agree with this review word for word.
Old 05-02-02, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the opinions..it seems everyone touched on the historical aspect being inaccurate..i dont normally look for historical accuracy in a horror movie anyway..heck Jack The Ripper uses a time machine In Time After Time yet a lot of people think that movie is great..anyway I think Ill be picking it up..if it sucks I can always E-Bay it
Old 05-02-02, 09:27 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
It is worth the blind purchase, IMO. This is a very solid thriller that won't disappoint.
Old 05-02-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you just didn't embrace the movie in the spirit in which it was intended.

To each their own.
Old 05-02-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wondering about the content of the 2nd disc? Does it have some deleted scenes, hopefully ones that expand on the magick aspect.
Old 05-02-02, 03:08 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Apocrypha
Wondering about the content of the 2nd disc? Does it have some deleted scenes, hopefully ones that expand on the magick aspect.
The deleted scenes are on Disc 1 and don't dwell on the mason stuff. From my previously cited review:

Disc 2: Here, there, everywhere a featurette. First, is an exploration of Ripper lore in "Six Degrees of Jack the Ripper" (30 mins) with gruesome crime scene images and expert interviews. In addition, at about 10 different points during the piece, viewers may click an icon for additional clips from a cheesy '70s documentary (ala "In Search Of ... ") effectively doubling the featurette's total duration. Second, is a visit with production designer Martin Childs who miraculously recreated Whitechapel in just three months (12 mins). Third, is a comparison to the graphic novel and its use as an aid in various aspects of production (10 mins). Next, is an ode to Abberline's drink of choice in "Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder" (10 mins) followed by a murder sites tour by Albert and Allen (8 mins). Finally, tasty Ms. Graham hosts "A View From Hell" featuring the typical HBO "Oohs 'n' Ahs." In this case they're warranted (15 mins). Theatrical trailer and a random reel for Unfaithful with Richard Gere. Motion video menus discover Jack fishing nasty implements from his surgical kit.

Last edited by G. Noel Gross; 05-02-02 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Apocrypha
There are 20 deleted scenes and an alternate ending on the first disc. They do not explore that aspect of the story. That was trimmed out in the scripting stage.

See my review at the link in my first post above for more details on the disc's supplements.
Old 05-02-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
I think you just didn't embrace the movie in the spirit in which it was intended.
What spirit was that? I'm a fan of the mystery, suspense, thriller, and horror genres. I found the movie boring. Perhaps you can elaborate on your point.
Old 05-02-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
It is worth the blind purchase, IMO. This is a very solid thriller that won't disappoint.
Generally, I just need one strong favorable opinion to buy, but this one sounds like a renter. I can always buy later.
Old 05-09-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What spirit was that? I'm a fan of the mystery, suspense, thriller, and horror genres. I found the movie boring. Perhaps you can elaborate on your point.
I guess I don't require a movie like this to "engage the soul", whatever that is supposed to mean.

The movie is smart, fun, and surprisingly literate. I enjoyed it greatly. If you found it boring, to each their own.
Old 05-09-02, 08:17 PM

Re: From Hell-good blind purchase???

Originally posted by Deke Rivers
opinions?
I thought it was a really good movie. The only downside was that it moved a little fast over some parts. I don't think you could truly understand some parts of the film if you don't know some of the basis of which story they're somewhat telling in the movie.

For anyone who digs the movie and wants to check out a great Ripper site go here

I'll be picking it up. And I'd suggest it to anyone who's interested in JTR or horror/slasher flicks. For a slasher flick, it's one of the better ones.
Old 05-10-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I missed this one theatrically, but I have an advance copy of the 2-disc LE, and it is excellent.

I liked the film, and it's mixture of fictional and real-life characters into a story that offered an interesting perspective on the Ripper murders. Sure, maybe Graham was too good looking to be a grubby street whore, but that's a small complaint.

A beautiful, in a dark way, looking film, to say the least.
Old 05-11-02, 09:30 AM

I thought the movie was decent, though not quite what I expected. I didn't think it was overly interesting at times, and because of that, I wasn't paying much attention to what was happening. I definitely want to see it again, especially now that I have read the graphic novel the movie was based on, so I will be picking up the LE.

On a side note, I highly recommend Alan Moore's graphic novel to anyone interested in the movie. I thought it was far better and did a wonderful job making the story interesting, something I think the movie failed to do. Also, as far as the historical aspect goes, Moore has included, at least in the edition I have, a 40-page appendix that delineates page-by-page exactly what is accurate and what he invented for story purposes.
Old 05-11-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks all, I am getting this with The Others on Tuesday.

DVD SMURF

I have been in a horror mood lately.
Old 05-11-02, 07:59 PM

Boring. I also had an advance copy and I am sorry I watched it for free. Rent at best but I cant imagine buying this DVD
Old 05-11-02, 08:21 PM
Banned

i heard that the extras on disk two are worth the $17 bucks its self... so this is one for buy..plus the single disk version will eb released shortly after and teh two disk wont be round... so i getting the this version..
Old 05-14-02, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Thanks all, I am getting this with The Others on Tuesday.

DVD SMURF

I have been in a horror mood lately.

Me three!!!! Also be getting Season five of X-Files and season one of Friends.
Old 05-14-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Thanks all, I am getting this with The Others on Tuesday.[/size]
I did the same dang thang!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 05-15-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts
RANDOM REVIEW THOUGHTS:

I was hoping for another "Sleepy Hollow" but for the most part it was just plain sleepy. It doesn't quite acheive anything in my opinion. It doesn't catch the edginess to be a good suspense flick; it plays too much "who dunnit" by constantly throwing suspects at you, but allows no clues to solve the mystery; and is not suspenseful enough to be a good horror flick (something we haven't seen in a long time).

The lead cast (Johnny Depp and Heather Graham) are outshined by their supporting cast (Robbie Coltrane is quickly becoming one of my favorite "never heard of" actors).

I think that it does suffer from too much condensing, but its based on a comic book, excuse me -- graphic novel, so what do you expect? The story actually is almost worthy of Oliver Stone in its convoluted conspiracy theories.

The sets and costumes are fantastic, often overshadowing the sometimes non-existant action of a scene.

The 20 or so deleted scenes don't offer any excuses. Many times you can watch the deleted scenes and piece the movie back together, but all of the scenes here were cut simply for pacing. They add nothing extra to the story and fill in no missing pieces.

Rented it, and will pick it up used for the extras on the second disc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.