Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

some heavy to kinda heavy bands

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-01-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a few bands to check out if you haven't heard of them, and if you have then please share some similar bands.

rap metal:

(Hed) PE: self titled. only good rap metal, not radio friendly (well their second album is) this is what rap metal should sound like, not just a rock band with a dj. actually i think rap punk might be more appropriate.

rock:

Inncubus: self titled. their first full length cd is actually catchy and heavy at times. like a hard rockin 311. not anything like their last 2 or 3 albums.

metal:

Soulfly: self titled and Primative. max rocks. can't wait for the new album "3", on 6/25. should appeal to fans of soad, slipknot and of course, sepultura. if you like it also check out NAILBOMB's Point Blank.

Industrial:

BiLe: Teknowhore. best example of metal industrial ever.

16volt: Letdowncrush and Supercoolnothing. what nin should of been. if you like nin then definitely check out letdowncrush, it is 100 times better. Supercoolnothing is more of the same just alittle leaner and heavier.

C-Tec: Darker. darkbeat, electro industrial. one of my favorite bands and my favorite album to fall asleep too. if you like it but also want something that is faster try Cubanate's Interference album. (C-tec is a Front 242 and Cubanate side project.)

that's it for now. if you want me to suggest a track to download from any band post.
Old 05-01-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't like much of that new-fangled new metal (starting to feel too old at 26...just sad). If you want some hard, creative and absolutely essential music, look no further than And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead's new disc "Source Tags and Codes". It's a great respite from what passes for metal and punk nowadays and one of the best albums I've heard this year (not to mention one of the greatest band names ever).

(Although, to be fair, Incubus is way better than the Limp Bizkit's, Linkin Park's, and Disturbed's of the world...)
Old 05-01-02, 05:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I always like the original Incubus better. Raging 80's Floridian Death Metal...classic old school.
Old 05-01-02, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
TYPE O NEGATIVE is TRUELY heavy music. The lead singer's voice is SCARY. But they rock!
Old 05-01-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another plug for Thrice.

I don't know how to describe their music. Sort of punk -- a combo of melodic and hardcore -- they have some of that emo-screaming influence too. I didn't do them justice. They are an awesome band.
Old 05-01-02, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
TYPE O NEGATIVE is TRUELY heavy music. The lead singer's voice is SCARY. But they rock!
Type O Negative are great. There is a Nosferatu DVD which has their music playing throughout as the soundtrack.

Other harder bands I have enjoyed:
Godflesh
Fudgetunnel
Filthy Christians
Old 05-01-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've heard a few people mention And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead before so i checked them out again. it's not something i can get into atm. and unless i'm missing something (only downloaded 2 songs) heavy is not something i would link to them.

thrice, haven't heard them, yet.

type o negative can be decent. they usually have a good song or two on each album. i think they walk a thin line or what is gothic cool and what is corny, and i think they teeter into the latter more often. although i have heard their first two album, i base my opinion on Bloody Kisses. haven't heard much after that except for My girlfriends girlfriend, good song.

godflesh i have heard is no more.

fudgetunnel, while i only listened to one album and didn't care for it, the band NAILBOMB i mentioned is a side project of max from sepultura and alex from fudgetunnel.
Old 05-01-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good stuff here below. It's all hardcore/metal with emo-ish lyrics. From Autumn To Ashes is one of my new favorite bands.

From Autumn To Ashes - Take Her To The Music Store
Hope Conspiracy - No Love Goes Unpunished
Poison The Well - Grain Of Salt
Shai Hulud - My Heart Bleeds The Darkest Blood

PS - Another for Thrice. Metal/punk with sung/screamed vocals. Awesome lyrics! I've been listening to this non-stop for a couple months now. Their older stuff is no good IMHO.

Last edited by Nosebleed; 05-01-02 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-01-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Nosebleed

PS - Another for Thrice. Metal/punk with sung/screamed vocals. Awesome lyrics! I've been listening to this non-stop for a couple months now. Their older stuff is no good IMHO.
Really? I prefer their first album (Identity Crisis). It has a lot more energy. Both are great albums though.

Last edited by DodgingCars; 05-01-02 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-01-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DodgingCars

Really? I prefer their first album (Identity Crisis). It has a lot more energy. Both a great albums though.
Well I haven't given it too many listens but I prefer the newer one for it's darker sound and darker lyrics. I love the screaming too.

I forget if we've had this discussion but have you heard the new Finch album "What It Is To Burn"?
Old 05-01-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Nosebleed

Well I haven't given it too many listens but I prefer the newer one for it's darker sound and darker lyrics. I love the screaming too.

I forget if we've had this discussion but have you heard the new Finch album "What It Is To Burn"?
Yeah, Illusion of Safery definately has a darker sound and lyrics. Their first album lyrics deals a lot with his faith (he's a Christian), while the 2nd album has some songs about his faith too (though its usually in a different light) and he uses a lot more metaphors in his writing, so the message isn't always so clear. I heard their first album first though so, that's probably one of the reasons I prefer it.

Yeah, I downloaded What is It to Burn. It's pretty good. I haven't listened to it too many times though
Old 05-01-02, 02:53 PM

Celtic Frost.
Old 05-01-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

dumb statement, but i think sOAD is the hardest stuff ive heard.
Old 05-01-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
never heard any death metal or hardcore punk?
Old 05-01-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

industrial:

Acumen Nation

they have a new album coming out soon...their 4th wasnt really good at all, but the 1st 3 are really good.

More Human Heart *check out Ventilator, Revelations per Minute, F*** Yer Brains Out

Territory=Universe *any song on this disc is good (my favs are Djentrify and Queener

Transmissions from Eville *check out F.W.M., Chameleon Skin, Gun Lover, Noarmsnolegs
Old 05-01-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
If you have the means, download some Emperor songs. That will change your answer to this question pretty fast
Old 05-01-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TaTTooD
industrial:

Acumen Nation

they have a new album coming out soon...their 4th wasnt really good at all, but the 1st 3 are really good.

More Human Heart *check out Ventilator, Revelations per Minute, F*** Yer Brains Out

Territory=Universe *any song on this disc is good (my favs are Djentrify and Queener

Transmissions from Eville *check out F.W.M., Chameleon Skin, Gun Lover, Noarmsnolegs

Acumen is good stuff. strike 4 did kinda blow from what i heard so i never got it. haven't picked up their live album either. but from what i have heard from other people, their new album, Fifth Column, is gonna rock.
Old 05-01-02, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Goat3001

If you have the means, download some Emperor songs. That will change your answer to this question pretty fast

Oh so true. My personal fave (and the song that got me into Emperor): Ye Entrancemperium. Good Lord, that thing is fast

Another death metal band I've been listening to quite a bit lately is Opeth. I only wish I had discovered them sooner. They're one of the few bands whose cds sound just as fresh on the 100th listen as on the first (especially Blackwater Park)

Last edited by edclem; 05-01-02 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-01-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gsuscryst

Acumen is good stuff. strike 4 did kinda blow from what i heard so i never got it. haven't picked up their live album either. but from what i have heard from other people, their new album, Fifth Column, is gonna rock.

yeah...i guess they had no money when they made strike 4 so there is no electronics in the entire cd...its almost sounds all acoustic

i'm really looking forward to this new album as well.....i read they're going to tour with sister machine gun, but they usually play a bunch of times in chicago anyways cause theyre from here
Old 05-02-02, 02:33 AM

My current list of harder edged favorites:

C-Tec
Clutch
The Cult
Deftones
Download
Downset
Faith No More
Front 242
Front Line Assembly
Fudge Tunnel
Helmet
Jane's Addiction
Kill Switch...Klick
Klute
Leæther Strip
Ministry
Nine Inch Nails
Nitzer Ebb
A Perfect Circle
Pigface
Primus
Project Pitchfork
Puya
Razed in Black
Rosetta Stone
The Sisters of Mercy
Skinny Puppy
Skold
Soulfly
Spahn Ranch
Tool
Vomito Negro
The Wake

While some of these bands might not be the heaviest, they are all heavier than the norm in one way or another.

Last edited by gilbertr76; 05-02-02 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-02-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

gilbertr76......no KMFDM?
Old 05-02-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Three new/semi new bands i listen to are.

Mudvayne - pretty technical musicians here for as hard of music as they play.

Flaw - new band with a singer who has an awesome voice. Some good stuff will come from these guys, produced by the same guy who produces TooL

Darwin's Waiting Room - a new rap hardcore band out of south florida. Fun music with two singers and a lot of energy live.
Old 05-02-02, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by TaTTooD
gilbertr76......no KMFDM?
Nope...

Something turned me off to KMFDM a long time ago, but of course I don't even remember what it was now. I no longer have the time or $$$ to worry about increasing my music collection, so I have no intentions to re-explore their catalog. In other words, I don't think my wife or kids would appreciate me getting into any more heavy bands than I already am into.

BTW, even though I am a Depeche Mode fan, that's not the reason I was turned off by KMFDM.
Old 05-02-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gilbertr76

Nope...

Something turned me off to KMFDM a long time ago, but of course I don't even remember what it was now. I no longer have the time or $$$ to worry about increasing my music collection, so I have no intentions to re-explore their catalog. In other words, I don't think my wife or kids would appreciate me getting into any more heavy bands than I already am into.

BTW, even though I am a Depeche Mode fan, that's not the reason I was turned off by KMFDM.
for some reason i have always bought KMFDM cds, but i really don't like them that much. i've kinda grown into liking most of their stuff.

i don't know when you stop listening to them but if you never heard Nihl you should. i think KMFDM has always done thier best work when raymond watts (PIG) is around.

and if you like Skold, KMFDM is pretty much sascha and tim skold now. starting with adios, MDFMK, and now back to KMFDM with Attak, which i haven't heard. i want en esch . En esch is with gunthar doing their own band, Slick Idiot.
Old 05-02-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mudvayne- there dig song was kinda catchy so i checked out the album and couldn't find even one song besides dig that i even remotely liked.

Clutch- i'm not really a fan of the music too much, but i really enjoy the lyrics. have you heard of ScissorFight? they remind me of clutch alot. however like i said, i'm not a big clutch fan so, you might hear them and think i'm on crack. but i'd still say to check them out anyway. i likem alot. they have 3 albums i think, but so far i only have, Mantrapping for sport and profit.

Fear Factory- i don't anyone mentioned them. they are very good but alot of songs for the same pattern of shout, sing, shout sing etc that alot of their songs sound similar.

Junkie XL- imho, a better prodigy. if you liked Fat of the land, you should definitely like Junkie XL's saturday teenage kick cd.

now, if you take Junkie XL and Fear Factory and throw in a little rhys fulber of Front Line Assembly you get, Fear Factory's Remanufacture, which is a remix album of Demanufacture done by Junkie XL and Rhys. easily my favorite cd ever. it is a perfect blend of heavy metal, big beat and electronics.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.