Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ground Breaking CD Case Opening News For Those Who Don't Know Yet...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-30-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

How to open your brand new CD pack without getting pissed.

Ya'll know how much that stupid security sticker is to remove from your favorite CD case is right? Even MTV has promo featuring this frustrating situation. This is TRULY frustating when you're in the parking lot of the music store and you're trying to load your new disc into your car player.

Well here's how to open the can 'o' whup ass on it!

It takes only a few moves and you don't need a razor blade or TNT to do it.

1. Take the shrinkwrapped cd case over to a hard sharp edge...any computer desk will do but if you're in your car use some sort of hidden edge. Place the edge of the case on the edge and run it back and forth thus scoring the edge of the wrap.

2. Take wrap off. No blades, keys, or fingernails needed.

3. Here's the cool part. DON'T CUT THE STUPID STICKER at the top of the case. Simply place the case flat on the table or simply hold it in front of you and UNLATCH the bottom of the case with no security sticker and flip the case over like a clamshell with the sticker becoming the "hinge" and with heavenly ease pull the security sticker off both halves while still open.

4. Place the 2 cd case pieces back together!!!

DONE! NO ANGER NO PAIN!!!!

I saw this hot chick at the WHEREHOUSE in TORRANCE do this and it took her less than 30 seconds to do this move.

Try it and you'll wanna give me lap dance for telling you! Actually, I'll take one just for your clicking the post....
Old 04-30-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know about this method, but it's honestly faster for me to do it the old fashioned way.
Old 04-30-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Aghama
I know about this method, but it's honestly faster for me to do it the old fashioned way.

You know, I knew the first post would be someone saying that

Some people take all the fun out of posting
Old 04-30-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny, that's how i always open new cds.
the main caveat, though, is that it's really easy to break the hinge tab when i'm overly eager to load it into the cd deck.
Old 04-30-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I worked in retail for several years and was asked by several customers to open their new CDs. Most of them would gasp after watching me unhinge the front from the base. "You you you just broke -- oh... weird. I never thought about that."
Old 04-30-02, 01:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Pikul
I worked in retail for several years and was asked by several customers to open their new CDs. Most of them would gasp after watching me unhinge the front from the base. "You you you just broke -- oh... weird. I never thought about that."
I learned that trick from the old Blockbuster Musics. Since you could listen to any CD they had, they would open the CD like that so they wouldn't break the sticker on the top.
Old 04-30-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

old news....i've been doing it that way for years

good post though for those that never knew of this method
Old 04-30-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ooooh duh!
Old 04-30-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
30 seconds? Real slow!

I used this 'trick' all the time at the music store and could easily do it in 5-8 seconds.

We had to open CDs all the time for store, often in excess of 50-100 per day so you learn to get good at these sort of things. It used to always amaze customers too.

I've even grabbed CDs out of customers' hands while they were fumbling with the damn thing and said, "Allow me."

Total chick magnetism.
Old 04-30-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DTSC
30 seconds? Real slow!

I used this 'trick' all the time at the music store and could easily do it in 5-8 seconds.

We had to open CDs all the time for store, often in excess of 50-100 per day so you learn to get good at these sort of things. It used to always amaze customers too.

I've even grabbed CDs out of customers' hands while they were fumbling with the damn thing and said, "Allow me."

Total chick magnetism.
She probably did it quicker but I didn't have my stopwatch out.
Old 04-30-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by TaTTooD

good post though for those that never knew of this method
That's what I was hoping for and the title says that...but leave it to smartasses to post first...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-30-02 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-30-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giantrobo

That's what I was hoping for and the title says that...but leave it to smartasses to post first...
Hey now, I wasn't being a smartass, I was just giving my honest, heartfelt opinion. Minus the heartfelt.
Old 04-30-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is so simple, I can't believe I never thought of this. Thanks for the post.
Old 04-30-02, 06:18 PM
Suspended

I dont get it
Old 04-30-02, 06:23 PM

Based on your comments, I'm amazed at how many people ask record store clerks to open their CD cases for them. I mean, it's not like it's rocket science; it's akin to asking the cashier at McDonald's to open my Big Mac package. You might not get the sticker off cleanly, but it is not hard to open CD packaging. This is going to sound mean, but are your customers really that clueless?

Having said all that, I've never seen this method, and as someone who's really finicky about getting the sticker completely off, I'm looking forward to opening my next new CD this way.
Old 04-30-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Aghama

Hey now, I wasn't being a smartass, I was just giving my honest, heartfelt opinion. Minus the heartfelt.

Old 04-30-02, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by SAShepherd
Based on your comments, I'm amazed at how many people ask record store clerks to open their CD cases for them. I mean, it's not like it's rocket science; it's akin to asking the cashier at McDonald's to open my Big Mac package. You might not get the sticker off cleanly, but it is not hard to open CD packaging. This is going to sound mean, but are your customers really that clueless?

Having said all that, I've never seen this method, and as someone who's really finicky about getting the sticker completely off, I'm looking forward to opening my next new CD this way.

Yeah I know what you mean.....

Actually, I've NEVER had a clerk ask me if I needed the case opened. This girl offered and when I saw how easy and logical it was it blew me away.

Unlike some of the VETERANS above I had never seen this method.

And yes, I want that sticker all the way off.
Old 04-30-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by SAShepherd
This is going to sound mean, but are your customers really that clueless?
Nah, they're probably just lazy. They also probably think they're entitled to have someone open it for them, considering how much they have to pay for them these days.

BTW, Giantrobo, I would NOT call that sticker on the top "stupid." I think it's really helpful to have that so you can see what discs are there without having to flip through all of them to see the front covers. This comes in handy when you can tell with a quick glance that there are 50 freakin' copies of N'SNYC's latest so no time is wasted going through every one just to see if one you're looking for close to that part alphabetically didn't get misplaced.
Old 05-01-02, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Drexl

Nah, they're probably just lazy. They also probably think they're entitled to have someone open it for them, considering how much they have to pay for them these days.

BTW, Giantrobo, I would NOT call that sticker on the top "stupid." I think it's really helpful to have that so you can see what discs are there without having to flip through all of them to see the front covers. This comes in handy when you can tell with a quick glance that there are 50 freakin' copies of N'SNYC's latest so no time is wasted going through every one just to see if one you're looking for close to that part alphabetically didn't get misplaced.
yeah I understand...in fact, they're do their job just fine. But I think the average non-shoplifting cunsumer has more trouble getting these off.
Old 05-01-02, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i've also been opening CDs like this for years & been using the stickers, frm. CDs & DVDs (folded in on themselves) as bookmarks. The big question is: Has anyone ever wasted their $$$ on those CD shrinkwrap openers?
Old 05-01-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've been doing this for a few years now, although i would use either a knife and slice quickly but carefully along the slit between the cover holder and the cd holder, or use a lighter to quickly burn a dime size hole so i could rip the plastic off.

i basicly figured it out on my own when i went through a brief 5 finger discount stage. it was my belief to seperate the cd from all packaging as quickly as possible as soon as i left the store.

i could also unlock those long plastic holders so much fast than employees could using the key. but then i guess they were reusable when they were done with it. hehe.