Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jimi Hendrix or Doors DVDs?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-29-02, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the best quality discs (audio and video) for any of the several out there by these two great artists from the sixties? The original recordings of couse are not the best fidelity by today's standards, but they deserve proper treatment.
Thanks.
Old 04-29-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have JH live at the Isle of Wight 1970
it is a smoking set
the video on this Image release is about what you would expect and the sound is Dolby Digital Surround

It is some of my favorite live Jimi and I am pleased to have it.
Old 04-29-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For The Doors there's really only one you need to bother with IMHO... That is The Doors Collection (Collector's Edition) issued by Universal... Click for cover scan.

I can't offer too much in the way of Hendrix but I do own the Fillmore East - Band Of Gypsys disc Click click and it's decent... It's basically a film about that period with footage from the Fillmore gig, and others, spliced in... It also contains complete performance clips that were recorded at the Fillmore but the quality is pretty rough.
Old 04-29-02, 07:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, dillweed! Since this is a thread about music-related DVDs, I'm moving it to the Music Forum.
Old 04-29-02, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the early responses Apocrypha and Johnny Zhivago.

I would like this thread restored to the DVD Talk forum, where it belongs. My question was concerning DVDs, not specifically music. Static Cling, please check your email.

Thank you.
Old 04-30-02, 02:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dillweed
My question was concerning DVDs, not specifically music.
If a similar thread was to remain legitimately in the DVDTalk main forum, its purpose would need far more clearly to be stated by the threadstarter, IMO.

The thorny problem was discussed some time ago in Feedback and elsewhere - although I would not be altogether surprised if this was missed by members new and old; lurkers and posters alike.
Originally posted by RandyC
Here is our take..I think.

DVDs/Movies that are movies, even those based on musical groups or starring a band or musician, are still movies and should remain in the Movie or DVD forums. As long as the thread's focus is the DVD or the film. Examples of these would include Pink Floyd's The Wall; Head; and Help.

Recordings of concerts should go to the Music Forum, and this includes threads that are focused on the DVD aspects of a concert. Examples of these would include Roger Water's In the Flesh DVD and the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD.

And I am sure there are some that will still fall in between and it will be a judgement call.
And, posted by Blade a little before Geoff made some title changes:
Originally posted by Blade
Unlike these other forums, however, the Music forum is also addressing DVD Audio releases, so we decided to put all music related DVDs in there.

We are currently debating a change in this, but it's going to require some input from Geoff (as he'd have to change some forum titles and move forums to different groups).
Although "quality" was mentioned in the first post, content was not per se: the replies so far move one's understanding along somewhat. I'm not planning on moving anything but see my first sentence for a possible compromise....

Benedict

Last edited by benedict; 04-30-02 at 02:55 PM.