Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscountDVD -- Still The Best?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-29-02, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I haven't ordered online since last summer (it's a college thing), and I'm getting back into my summer order schedule again. I'm planning on ordering about an equal amount of pre-orders and catalog titles, and last summer, it seemed like DeepDiscountDVD was the best online vendor for my purposes; they got me my discs relatively speedy, had for the most part the best prices online and free shipping. I know that DDD didn't have the BEST deals for EVERY disc, but for the most part, I funneled my business into their company because of the amount of money I was able to save while still buying a large amount of discs (100+ over last summer).

My question is, has DDD sustained this level of good business over the past year, and if not, who should I start looking to as an alternate source for well-priced DVDs with good service online? Thanks in advance for any comments on their status!
Old 04-29-02, 11:18 AM

I'm an extremely satisfied DDD customer. I just completed a 3 DVD order last week. Also, I just ordered another disc on Saturday and it was shipped this morning. I haven't yet had any problems which required me to contact their CS department, but from what I've read in the forum, most people have had a great experience dealing with them as well.

In terms of price, if you're willing to wait the extra couple of days (and really, it's usually only a couple of days more than priority mail would be in my experience) and thus get the free shipping, I've found all but one or two titles on my wishlist are available at the lowest price (including shipping when comparing to other stores) online.

Of course, that's just my experience. The only thing that compares pricewise is either Columbia House (if you follow the guidance of DVD Talk!) or discount B&M stores like BJs/Costco/Sam's Club warehouses, Walmart/Target/K-Mart and the like. The warehouses are great for boxed sets especially; I know my nearby BJs is selling the Godfather Collection for about $10 less than the lowest price online store.

But I digress. In conclusion, DDD is great and you should definately use it again.
Old 04-29-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: DeepDiscountDVD -- Still The Best?

Originally posted by Moogz

My question is, has DDD sustained this level of good business over the past year
I believe the general consensus is, yes. They are the only e-tailer I deal with unless there is an extraordinary sale somewhere, which is extremely rare.
Old 04-29-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
DDD has always done right by me.

Class act all the way.
Old 04-29-02, 10:05 PM

DDD
Old 04-30-02, 07:06 AM

The best.
Old 04-30-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I've been using them instead of amazon for DVDs for a while now and haven't had a problem. The only "hitch" is if you use the free shipping it is a week-10 days because it's not priority, so if you're one of these people that get all crazy if you don't get the DVD the day after you order it, watch out. But I haven't got any complaints about them, good guys so far to me.
Old 04-30-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also am very satisfied with me. The only complaint I had was I had to cancel my card I had put one large order on, all pre streets, and they cancelled the entire damn order when one DVD got refused by my bank and before I could call them with my new card number. That angered me greatly, because I felt like it wasted my time, and there was no reason to cancel my entire order when only one DVD got declined. I would have felt better if they had contacted me first, but oh well. That was a one time deal and other than that one incident, I have been a satisfied customer.
Old 04-30-02, 06:13 PM

I also am very satisfied with me. The only complaint I had was I had to cancel my card I had put one large order on, all pre streets, and they cancelled the entire damn order when one DVD got refused by my bank and before I could call them with my new card number. That angered me greatly, because I felt like it wasted my time, and there was no reason to cancel my entire order when only one DVD got declined. I would have felt better if they had contacted me first, but oh well. That was a one time deal and other than that one incident, I have been a satisfied customer.
Huh? Banks don't approve DVDs. Sounds like your (one) order was over the limit. Don't blame DDD for that.

If they had contacted you before they cancelled the order, that would have be nice--but it is above and beyond what I would expect or demand (especially with the prices they offer).
Old 04-30-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh? Banks don't approve DVDs. Sounds like your (one) order was over the limit. Don't blame DDD for that.
I think you don't understand. I had a ton of pre orders on that order, not all coming out in the same week. So the DVD they tried putting on that card would not be over any limit...and even if they did try to charge the entire order all at once, it would have gone thru, before I had to cancel that card, as I do have a limit high enough.

There were DVDs on the order not coming out for a while that they could have left on the order and let me apply my new card once I got it. Hell, it wasn't like they were going to try charging half the order that week. If that's above and beyond normal service, I guess amazon.com is above and beyond all the time because they will give people 45 days to apply a new card to their order if one gets declined for whatever reason.

But I am not complaining, just saying that's the extent of problems I had with them, but it wasn't their fault, really, just unexpected. I didn't realize they cancelled an entire order if one charge for one DVD didn't go thru on a card. Not a major problem, just inconvenient, and hardly a mark against them.
Old 05-01-02, 08:13 AM
Cool New Member

I just placed my first set of orders from DDD and I am very impressed. I preordered Hitchhiker's Guide and received it on the release day taking standard shipping. I ordered a total of 4 movies including 2 multidisc sets and I received all of them within 1 week of placing the order. Based on this and the fact that the prices overall were cheaper than elsewhere (one of the titles was a whole .75 more than one other place) I would order from them again (in fact I have ::Smile:.
Old 05-01-02, 11:30 AM

Is there something wrong with DDD's website? The cart remains empty even after click the "BUY NOW" button on an item. I've been encountering this problem since yesterday.

Okay, at least I finally located an error message, it's at the very bottom of the page, which require some scrolling:

Error Diagnostic Information

An error occurred while evaluating the expression:

theNowPrice = dvdItem.nowPrice * 0.01

Error near line 480, column 11.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot convert to number.

Please, check the ColdFusion manual for the allowed conversions between data types

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFSET), occupying document position (480:5) to (480:49) in the template file /u02/web/deepdvd/cart.cfm.

Date/Time: Wed May 1 12:52:31 2002
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; Hotbar 3.0)
Remote Address: 151.202.81.84
HTTP Referrer: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/cart.cfm

Last edited by Turin Turambar; 05-01-02 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-01-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Nothing wrong with the website here, I just placed an order for two items. Perhaps it was only with the specific movie you were ordering.
Old 05-01-02, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by Turin Turambar
theNowPrice = dvdItem.nowPrice * 0.01
Error near line 480, column 11.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cannot convert to number.
RevLiver is probably right about it being limited to that title. That error indicates that dvdItem.nowPrice is probably NULL and so the statement errors since it can't multiply NULL * 0.01...

Anyway, has anyone been able to verify that DDD is involved in the ld phone charges in the "calling card scam" thread?
Old 05-01-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had alot of problems with them back in December on some orders and had one recent order take 20 days to get to me but I still order from them since they are the cheapest with free shipping and sometimes you receive a pre-order way before the release date but then again they can ship before the release date but it can take almost 3 weeks to get to you.
Old 05-01-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by hitmenow.com

Anyway, has anyone been able to verify that DDD is involved in the ld phone charges in the "calling card scam" thread?
To avoid confusion, let's keep the "credit card scam" discussion confined to the existing thread that's dedicated to it. Hint: the answer to your question is in there.

Thanks.

-stevevt
Old 05-02-02, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by stevevt
To avoid confusion, let's keep the "credit card scam" discussion confined to the existing thread that's dedicated to it. Hint: the answer to your question is in there.
You're right, sorry. I did see the answer there, and props to DDD for stepping up to the plate.
Old 05-02-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still the best. There were 4 charges on my last CC statement, all for DVD. So far this month, the only 2 charges on my CC are for DDD, and I'm about ready to order a couple more from them. They pretty much get my online DVD business exclusively now.

Monday, I ordered Jerry Maguire SE from them. It was $20.77 at the time. I got a shipping notice Tuesday, and they only charged me $19.37. Now that's service.
Old 05-04-02, 10:35 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

so far not bad for me.
Old 05-11-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They’re the best. They get 99% of my business. Other 1% is region 2, 3, 4 stuff.
Old 05-14-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use DDD for nearly almost all my R1 purchases. (dvdplanet and bestprices get the nod occasionally for stuff not found at DDD). For R2, I've found Bensons World to be very good. As for other regions I don't have much experience, but the above stores listed kind of keep me occupied.
Old 05-15-02, 12:33 PM
Cool New Member

here's a slightly related question...
does anyone know why DDD pre-order DVDs are cheaper the day before or day of release (i.e., the monday or tuesday)? There's a few times I was gonna order from other (cheaper) etailers but then I checked DDD the night before the release and DDD lowered the price. It seems with every DVD I've checked lately they've done that. So I guess DDD is almost always the cheapest even if it's not listed like that weeks before? Anyone else notice that or am I just nuts?
Old 05-15-02, 01:38 PM

I'm very impressed by DDD. I had a bit of a false-start with them, but everything since has been great. The upgraded shipping costs are pretty reasonable, and the prices are good. Plus, I got an e-mail that my Memento LE had shipped yesterday, a full week before the street date.
Old 05-15-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I'm getting a little leery of the "free" shipping. My Jerry Maguire SE was shipped April 29 and here it is May 15 and no sign of it. When I first started ordering from them I'd get stuff usually within a week and a half of hte shipping, but the last few have taken 2-3 weeks to get to me. That's so long I almost forgot I ordered anything at all!
Old 05-16-02, 01:06 PM

I've had the same problem with DDD, where two orders took over 4 weeks to arrive. It's not that much cheaper, and certainly not worth the aggravation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.