Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Steer Clear of Charlie Sheen's "Good Advice"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-28-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This film isn't really big enough to warrant a full review, but in case anyone was wondering about it, I'll recommend staying away from Charlie Sheen's upcoming Artisan release, "Good Advice."

Coming out May 21, "Good Advice" stars Sheen taking over the advice column of his ex-girlfriend, played by Denise Richards. The column takes off, grabbing national headlines, and along the way Sheen falls for the newspaper's editor, played by Angie Harmon. Jon Lovitz also stars as Sheen's best friend, the plastic surgeon.

The film proclaims itself as a "hilarious" romantic comedy, but the fact is I had more fun reading Artisan's press release, which referred (somewhat obnoxiously) to Richards and Harmon as "Hollywood hotties."

Sheen's performance is the same dull monotone-voice no-emotion character he's been playing for the past decade or so and Richards plays the stereotypical bubblehead "valley girl" routine we've seen recycled in hundreds of films. Angie Harmon, who's actually a pretty good actress, has her talents wasted in favor of gratuitous cleavage shots.

The film is rated R for language and "sexual situations," but the naughtiest body part shown in this film is Sheen's nipples. Not funny, not romantic, and not sexual enough for what it claims, "Good Advice" is a bland, uninspired film so blatant in its desire to provide a quick source of income for its primary "stars" that it borders on the obscene.

Video is average, containing some pretty good photography, and the sound gets the job done. It's not exactly an action movie, so the soundtrack (available in Dolby 2.0 and Digital 5.1) contains mostly dialogue and and short stints of background music. The DVD contains no extras save trailers and an audio commentary that I had no interest in listening to. Oh, it's also subtitled in Spanish if that catches your fancy. Olé.

Final thoughts: Martin, it's time to slap some more sense into your son.

-Brian

Last edited by BJacks; 04-28-02 at 09:59 PM.