Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is with the people in online gaming? (swearing content))

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-28-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean, I installed Soldier of Fortune 2, but I will never buy the game. The game in itself is great, but I only play multiplayer and have you tried to play a game of that? I mean damn, is it a rule that you have to be on ritalin to play those? First of all, everyone has names like 'I_Hate_arabs' or 'IM_BIN_LADEN' to the usual 'L33td00d019"/%?' and then when you get to playing, half your team kills the other half before you have a chance to move. Then once you start playing, you get votes going left and right for whatever reason and all the text you see flashing on the screen are lines like 'I owns j00' to 'You jew, Im going to kill you' to 'You f***ing n00b, go play barneys`greatest adventure' ... etc...

I mean I know games are aimed at kids, damn, is it a rule that every person under the age of 20 has to be a racist biggot who's vocabulary consists of the words n00b, f**k and jew? As much as I like playing multiplayer games like this, how can people put up with it? It just makes me glad I have a credit card and can pay to play games that are supervised and people like those kids will get suspended or banned.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to see why games are blamed for the violence out there. I think it's not because of the games themselves, but it's because they log on and see the kind of people who play, it's a real eye opener towards the decadence facing society.

That was my rant for today...
Old 04-28-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For that reason, I don;t play mulitplayer. I have diablo 2 and I do play it on Battle.net but I prefer to lock the game to myself and potentially anyone I know who is playign at that time. Most people playing games online, and I stress most, not all are idiot. plain and simple.
Old 04-28-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
For that reason, I don;t play mulitplayer. I have diablo 2 and I do play it on Battle.net but I prefer to lock the game to myself and potentially anyone I know who is playign at that time. Most people playing games online, and I stress most, not all are idiot. plain and simple.
Same reason here I don't care one bit for online gaming. But to each his own, I guess
Old 04-28-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love online play, but I too have noticed this drastic downward spiral.

Luckily, with most games, you can typically find a good server frequented by the same folks, all who are older and mature.

JKII has been great so far. Mostly no talk during game, just teams reading eachother's actions, and when its over, plenty of "good games" all around.

Renegade has also been fairly good, although there are some servers where it is nothing but immaturity. I usually switch and go to a better one then, as the game is no fun with immature idiots.
Old 04-28-02, 06:48 PM
Retired

Originally posted by WildcatLH

Same reason here I don't care one bit for online gaming. But to each his own, I guess

Same here. I don't like most of the people I've encountered. There either geeks, rude, or quit when you're winning. Add to that my general perference for single player genre's like platformers, and I have no interest in online gaming.
Old 04-28-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is what worries me about the SOCOM multiplayer game for PS2. Its going to have a built in headset and chat as part of the game. My fear is that there are enough 13 year olds with foul mouths and bad attitudes in the world to ruin the gaming experience half of the time.

At least with halflife and counterstrike servers, really troublesome people, or people with biggoted or foul language would be kicked, but so far i don't see the sony online gaming structure to include babysitters or moderators.

(A little off topic, but oh well)
Old 04-28-02, 09:17 PM

I really hate it when people quit as soon as they feel they are losing. Really takes away from the game.
Old 04-28-02, 11:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Odd... I've been playing a fair share of SOF2 Multiplayer, and I haven't encountered anyone like that. There were a few on MOH:AA now and then, but none so far on SOF2. I will talk smack once in a while, but I never use foul language. Mainly just rip on people for bunny-hopping, being grenade-whores, or camping.
Old 04-28-02, 11:47 PM
wiz

Re: What is with the people in online gaming? (swearing content))

Originally posted by Feneant
I mean, I installed Soldier of Fortune 2, but I will never buy the game. The game in itself is great, but I only play multiplayer and have you tried to play a game of that?
I'd like to know what other multiplayer games you play that are not like this? There's not one really, unless it's RPG and that's not like SoF2. I used to be a big online gaming fan back in the day, but I just get tired of all the talk nowadays, so I just play multiplayer every now and then if I have finished all of the SP games in my collection.

However, you have to remember that this is the MP test of the game and that when the full version comes out and people run dedicated servers, they will turn voting off, and also keep a closer look on the type of people that are there. Personally I don't look at what people name themselves in games, and if they talk I normally ignore them as well.

I am not sure what you mean by your team kills half the other team before you get to move. I mean are you playing the infiltration mode where you have to get the briefcase? If you are then you start off where your whole team starts and it's even for you all. If you're playing FFA, kill anybody, and if you're playing TDM then even if your teammate kills somebody, they will spawn back again and you can go after them too. I guess I'm just a bit confused that you say you can't stand multiplayer, but that's all you play and you won't even play the SoF2 SP game (which should be good). Kinda odd to me...
Old 04-29-02, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played Everquest for a year, and a little bit of Dark Age of Camelot, and have experienced nothing but nice people. But I guess for a game that relies on other people's help for you to advance it goes with the territory. For first person shooter type games, I do run into those "angry" people, but when you constantly kill them in the game, they eventually just quit .
Old 04-29-02, 05:45 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Didn't Half-life have a mod (I think it was called Llama mod or something like that) where you could make every idiot's messages into gibberish (like Llama sounds)?
Old 04-29-02, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I play alot of games but for some reason I have no desire to play online. Maybe I'm missing out but it's just not something that really matters to me.....
Old 04-29-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The anonymity of the Internet makes this possible.

There is no repercussion for bad behavior.
Old 04-29-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
I really hate it when people quit as soon as they feel they are losing. Really takes away from the game.

This is what killed my NKL 2K1 playing on the dreamcast - even in a close game, people would just quit because they were losing. When I was getting smoked, I kept playing - you don't get better if you only play people you can clearly beat.
Old 04-29-02, 09:05 AM
dgc

The new update of Half Life - TFC now allows you to mute on screen text of individual players as well as their voice comm.

Public servers can be fun. Want a good online gaming experience, play on an organized server with moderators.

If you like to play team fortress classic I would recommend you check out this site:

www.area51live.com

Organized TFC with emphasis on fun.

dgc a.k.a. [TBC]BipolarDisorder
Old 04-29-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Same here. I don't like most of the people I've encountered. There either geeks, rude, or quit when you're winning. Add to that my general perference for single player genre's like platformers, and I have no interest in online gaming.
There is nothing wrong with geeks. I mean, who posts on an internet message board besides geeks? Admit it, that's right....easy now...
Old 04-29-02, 09:56 AM

I guess I've been fairly lucky with this sort of problem. Usually when I play CS the main problem I see is cheating - it's become so bad that I just don't play that often anymore.

Most of my time over the last few months has been spent on a handful of Castle Wolfenstein servers. And of course there are times immature people come to the game and bring all kinds of garbage with them, but they don't usually last very long and are often kicked or just plain TK'd until they just give up.

Unless people can provide private servers all the time, there will always be those one or two bad apples that enter the game. I just ignore them or kick them
Old 04-29-02, 12:03 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Liver&Onions

There is nothing wrong with geeks. I mean, who posts on an internet message board besides geeks?
Speak for yourself.
Old 04-29-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody swears in the games I play, at least not for long. Of course it's not PC gaming online, it's online role-playing and we have GMs who monitor for such adult content. I'd hate to play anything where all you hear is cursing and a/s/l all the time. Heck, we don't even get chat lingo much, except when someone new is learning to play and they usually get out of the habit rather quickly.

~Scheherazade
Old 04-29-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wiz, I play Everquest or other MMORPG's depending on the time of the year. In there people are all very nice and not swearing, at 22 I'm among the youngest member in the guild I joined.

As for what I meant, I play infiltration as I like the skulking and stuff, going slowly, hiding, etc... but anyways, each time a round start, you have a couple who throw grenades all over the place or those who think it's funny to empty your M60 clip in your teammates...

The only way to find nice people is in games you pay to play... which saddens me, but what do you want, at least people there are normal.
Old 04-29-02, 01:38 PM

Yeah this is why I don't game online as much as I used to. Back in the day I used to be an avid Starcrafter and Quake 3er. But then people when people started cheating, hacking, or quitting while losing and it became no fun. It isn't really the swearing that bothers me though, its the racism and anti-jew/anti-muslim stuff. Some people have no respect for others, I'm not even jewish or muslim but stuff like that cuts deep even if its not targeted at me. Its hard to keep ignoring that kind of talk so I just stopped playing.

The dvdtalk starcraft we had awhile back was a lot of fun though! Seeing how people have found nice people and that immature people can now get kicked and banned from the games is encouraging though, I might try to pick it up again. Hopefully when console's go online there will be some sort of rule enforcement or GM for online roleplaying games, otherwise it'll end up the same way as pc multiplayer.
Old 04-29-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well when it comes to people who call themselves stupid names.

Just OWN there arses by beating them down and then whenever they try to talk shyte just say "STFU, look at the score" that should be enough to show them whats up. :-p

the answer is always OWNAGE!
Old 04-29-02, 02:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Well when it comes to people who call themselves stupid names.

Just OWN there arses by beating them down and then whenever they try to talk shyte just say "STFU, look at the score" that should be enough to show them whats up. :-p

the answer is always OWNAGE!
Oh, man, do I hate that word.

But yes, the best way to beat them is to beat them.
Old 04-30-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thats why public servers suck.......
Old 04-30-02, 02:03 PM

Re: What is with the people in online gaming? (swearing content))

Originally posted by Feneant
... is it a rule that every person under the age of 20 has to be a racist biggot who's vocabulary consists of the words n00b, f**k and jew? ...
how are these terms racist? also why would swearing get you so mad? its trash talking, every competitive game always has trash talking...its not liek this started last week or anything, been around for decades.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.