Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - 4/26

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-27-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick Cave & Tha Bad Seeds played the Chicago Theater on 4/26/02, and it was a show well worth waiting for. This tour was postponed because of the 9/11 attacks; the tour shirt still retains the original dates. All I can say is wow. I do believe that Nick is a god. His voice was in top form and his energy was high. Starting off with songs from No More Shall We Part, he then moved on to Red Right Hand. Also played were Mercy Seat, Papa Won't Leave You Henry (fantastic!), The Curse of MillHaven, and even Stagger Lee, with Blixa doing some seemingly effortless screaming toward the end and from what I've read online, blowing his amp in the process. Warren Ellis played his weeping violin like a sorceror coaxing demons from string and wood, though during MillHaven I though he was buried too much.

At one point, a fight broke out on the main floor, out of my sight but clearly heard by the entire auditorium. And this while Nick was playing a solo piano song. To his credit, he kept on going and paid them no heed. For the first encore, The Curse of Millhaven was brought out, Nick stating that "Here's a song we usually fu*k up and never get all the way through, or at least me." And after he said this, someone came out with cue cards and stood on stage. Though he only glanced at them from time to time, I thought it was funny. Perhaps a little self-parody, that sense of realism that is Nick Cave. After a few more songs, they left the stage and the house lights came up. We all pounded and cheered and brought them out for one more time, the final song being Stagger Lee. Though I have more shows lined up in the next few weeks to see, having seen Siouxsie & The Banshees and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds within one week, I could live not seeing another show all year, though Shane MacGowan is coming and The Pogues are right up there with Siouxsie and Nick in my world. All I need is for Tom Waits to come around.