Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What the HELL is up with Bob Mould?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-26-02, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Best Buy GC that I decided to buy some CD's with. I bought:

Lo-Fidelity All-Stars
Big Bad Love Soundtrack
Puddle of Mudd
Thursday
Patty Griffin

and Modulate- Bob Mould's new album.

This album is so horrible IMO it is totally unlistenable. He decided to go electronic I guess which, again-IMO, is the last place he should go. But besides that, the electronic music he uses to accompany his lyrics is COMPLETE GARBAGE! This kinda bums me out, because I hadn't gotten any of his stuff in awhile.

Anyways, does anybody know why he "chose this musical direction"?
Old 04-26-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read this is only a start. His next recording is supposed to be much more electronic sounding. I think I read this. Anyway, I don't have a problem with it because he's been doing the same style for so long... shake it up a bit. I haven't heard the new recording yet, though.
Old 04-27-02, 11:04 AM

I would be interested to hear what you have to say about it when you listen, because I have thought of myself as having a fairly wide variety of taste in music, but this was just amateurish sounding to me- but maybe it's just because it wasn't what I expected...hmmm.
Old 04-27-02, 01:40 PM
Banned

Oh God, I yearn for the days of Husker Du.
Old 04-29-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by monkey
Oh God, I yearn for the days of Husker Du.
And the glory days of SST records in general... Du, Black Flag,etc... Good stuff.

Haven't heard any Mould since he started that Sugar band... Sounds like I don't want to judging from this description of his new disc...
Old 04-29-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last time I saw Bob Mould was at the Metro in Chicago - probably about fall of 2000. Bob propped a little amplifier hooked to what I assumed was a sampler on the side of the stage, hit a button causing this wobbly electronic ticker sound and then strummed along to the beat. The crowd was completely flummoxed. No reaction. No clapping. Nothing. Almost complete disbelief. Bob made a snarky comment about how everyone better get used to this sound, because that's what the new album was going to be.

I didn't take his comment seriously at the time. But I suppose I should have. I didn't bother to get tickets to his recent Park West shows here in Chicago for fear of the whole show being this experimental electronica. (Plus I'm not exactly a fan of the nonexistent parking situation around the Park West.)

I haven't picked up the new Bob Mould album as of yet and actually, for the first time in a long time, I don't think I will.

We already have one bald, cancer-thin synth-artist of questionable sexuality. His name is Moby. And his new single ("We Are All Made of Stars") sucks all forms of ass. We don't need two Mobys.
Old 04-29-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm, as someone who has loved Husker Du since 1984, I dig the fact that Bob Mould would try and shake up his sound. I have no problems with this at all. Damn, if he put out albums as good as Moby then that would be incredible to hear. But, I haven't heard his new stuff... think I'll go download some to form a better opinion.
Old 04-30-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, I just listened to just about the whole recording (except for the last two songs). I don't think this is the "unlistenable" wretch I was expecting after all the complaints. The reviewer at allmusic.com gave it two stars and said that he also agrees it's cool that Mould tried to do something different (at least understands why he did), but that it's his worst recording. I'm not going to say this is great stuff, but there are a few really good songs. The first song "180 Rain" IS bad! Really bad. And some of the little electronic instrumentals aren't special. But the songs that rock and have little electronic flourishes don't sound too bad to me.
Old 04-30-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course he has no business whatsoever making electronic music. That's part of why I applaud him for ignoring expectations. The album might suck mightily (haven't heard it but I'm mildly curious), but he did exactly what he wanted. I wouldn't have it any other way. He's been through the ringer. He's paid more dues than most other artists. So if there's anyone who deserves to do exactly what he wants, it's Mould.

On the basis of Zen Arcade alone, I have no reason to be upset by Mould -- regardless of what he did before or after that record. It just so happens that Mould has been behind scads of excellent guitar-heavy records with lots of melody and noise. The fact that he has filled my soul and ears with a massive body of spectacular music does not entitle me to further pleasure from his work. He owes me nothing and he never owed me anything to begin with.

As someone who has been a rabid fan of plenty of groups and artists, I can understand frustration when a record doesn't live up to expectations. However, it boggles my mind when a fan feels as if their favorite artist somehow owes them something because the artist once made something that struck a nerve in a good way.
Old 05-01-02, 10:47 AM

WOW.

Excuse the *hell* out of me.

I honestly expect nothing out of Bob Mould, nor do I feel he owes me a damn thing. As a big Radiohead fan, I am all for a group or artist changing a "sound" if so desired. I was not aware of Bob Mould's attempt to change his "sound" and bought this album unawares.
Because it was shocking to me, I thought I would post here about it to a)see what others had thought about it, and b)to let others know that it is not the same sound from Bob Mould.

Honestly, tone down the high and mighty attitude please.
Old 05-01-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sorry if you took that personally, Bulletproof, because I wasn't addressing you. Had I addressed you directly, I would have quoted you, but I realize my tone could have been easily misinterpreted. For that I apologize. In that post, I was speaking for myself. You made your points clearly and you didn't strike me as someone who takes a bad record from a favorite artist as a personal insult. If it's bad, it's bad, and it always sucks to throw money away. But lately I've been hearing lots of "I've been wronged"-type comments from diehard fans who aren't pleased with something they hear by their favorite artists. This always irks me and I was merely venting. Placed within the context of negative comments about Mould's record, I'm sure my words come across as being a bit chest-beating. Apologies.

Spot the Husker Du song title above and win a... I don't know. Something.
Old 01-11-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
How are Bob Mould's shows? I'm trying to decide whether or not to drive to Austin to see him in March. He is with a full band and coming heavy with the guitars again, so it may be worth it. I picked up the Circle Of Friends today and I guess I will watch it to give me an idea of what the show should be like.

Also, he has a new album out in Feb. called District Line. Anyone heard anything about it?
Old 01-11-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, a 6 year bump.
Old 01-11-08, 12:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts
"Workbook" is is really amazing, and one of my favorite albums.
Old 01-11-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Wow, a 6 year bump.
I guess I just didn't think there was enough interest in him these days to start a new thread.

BTW, I listened to the live bonus disc that came with Sugar's "Besides" the other day and I had forgotten how awesome it is.
Old 01-11-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So that's who Bob Mould is. I've heard of him (over the past ten+ years) but until today I never knew he was in Husker Du.
Old 01-11-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
BTW, I listened to the live bonus disc that came with Sugar's "Besides" the other day and I had forgotten how awesome it is.
I agree! In fact, almost all of Sugar's stuff is great and Mould's first few solo albums are terrific too.

Also, even though Husker Du is (justifyably) legendary in certain circles, I think they are hugely underappreciated in general. They basically set the template for American post-punk, pop-punk and indie hard rock. I hear echoes of their sound in almost every guitar-based punk-rooted band these days. Anyone out there who doesn't own all of their albums from Metal Circus to Warehouse... do yourself a favor.

Also, check this out:

http://www.thenortonsrestaurant.com/
Old 01-11-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually sent a letter to Norton at his restaurant last year and got a nice reply from him.
Old 01-11-08, 01:49 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
For those really wanting to know what's uyp with Bob Mould, read his blog:

http://modulate.blogspot.com/

He updates it frequently, and it's not a typical showbiz sort of self-promotion; he actually comes across like a genuine human being. It's readable and entertaining.
Old 01-11-08, 02:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, the bumped thread is so old the album in question could practically be considered 'retro'.
Old 01-11-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love Bob's guitar-driven music but not the electronic stuff.
Old 01-11-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reading a reply that you posted almost 6 years ago is a little odd...
Old 01-11-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago

Reading a reply that you posted almost 6 years ago is a little odd...
No kidding, I read my two replies and it was like an out of body experience!

Husker Du was so fab in the 80's. My only complaint after all these years is how clunky the drums sound and the overall tinny sheen on most of the songs. Might be why I find a few of the cuts on Candy Apple Grey to at least sound better. Then again, this is someone who prefers Nirvana's production on Nevermind over their other recordings.
Old 01-12-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the coolest tidbits of info about Mould is that he was actually on the WCW booking committee for a brief time right before the company collapsed.
Old 01-12-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wewantflair
One of the coolest tidbits of info about Mould is that he was actually on the WCW booking committee for a brief time right before the company collapsed.
Yeah, he was on Meltzer's Wresling Observer Live radio show a few years ago (the one on Eyada) and it was funny to hear Bob going "Dave, I can't tell you what an honor it is to be on this show." and really kissing his ass. And Dave didn't know anything about his extensive indie music career. Bob was pretty knowledgable about wrestling! He's mentioned in a few of the wrestling biographies out there. I know he's mentioned in JJ Dillon's book.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.