Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MTV Icon: Aerosmith

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-26-02, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize if this has been talked about, but I did a search and didn't see anything....

I finally had a chance to watch my tape of the show. Unlike all the Spiderman fans ripping on the choice of Aerosmith for the soundtrack, I actually love the band. Without Aerosmith I probably would have never gotten into music at all. And it was my Grandma who gave me my first Aerosmith album (way to go Grandma!).

Anyway, I thought it was typical MTV fare and David Spade's roast was absolutely horrendous. What did everyone think about the acts?

Train's performance was dull. Not much departure from the original. It didn't excite me at all.

Papa Roach was ok, but it goes to show as much as I like some of the new metal/rap-metal acts, it stills pays to be able to sing instead of yell.

Kid Rock's performance was great! I'm not a Kid Rock fan for the most part, but the fact that he grew up loving this music is obvious when he is performing it. Kudos to Mr. Anderson.

Shakira's performance of Dude Looks Like a Lady was very good too. Her voice enhanced some parts lyrics and who can complain about her shaking her a$s at you.

Finally, Pink's rendition of Janie's Got a Gun was another good one. I don't know if Aerosmith was an influence on some of these younger performers, but they certainly put some emotion into the acts.

Also, I though Metallica was going to cry , and why was Jenifer Aniston there? I know she will draw viewers, but I don't think her presence added much.

Mods feel free to move this if you want since it was a TV show, but I thought it would be better placed here.
Old 04-26-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Train, the video remake by Sum41, and Papa Roach..... Zzzzzz

Pink did a great job with Janie. I think she can be a rocker if she wanted to give up the dance stuff. Her latest album is rockier than her first so maybe she's already leaning this way.

Shakira... how can you not get the hot when she sang the "do me do me" part? She was raised listening to hard rock, so I'm sure she's a genuine fan.

Kid Rock proved once again that by putting himself in the rap genre, he's really pigeonholing himself. Given a chance to show it off, the guy really can sing and put on a great performance.

Hiroshima never saw a bomb bigger than Spade's roast.

Last edited by GuessWho; 04-27-02 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-27-02, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shakira was awesome, so was Rock.

I couldn't stand up after Shakiras part.