Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

For Tom Waits Fans

Old 04-25-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Tom Waits Fans

May 7th marks the release date of not one, but two Tom Waits albums: Alice andBlood Money. From what I heard on the Amazon site Alice seems a little more laid-back and ballad oriented, whereas Blood Money is the more aggresive package. Both albums still have his trademark psycho-cabaret sound, but man oh man, what a feast for the ears.
Old 04-25-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just found out the other day by cruising CD Now that he was in fact releasing two albums at the same time. Tres cool.
Old 05-07-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The albums arrive tomorrow amongst predictably rave reviews, and Tom is on Letterman Wednesday nite. DO NOT miss it, as his TV appearances kick rather uniform booty--he wowed them on Letterman last time with his "Chocolate Jesus" number and tales of Testamints.
Old 05-07-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
Tom is on Letterman Wednesday nite

Thanks for the info Jepthah.
Old 05-07-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both are concept albums and both pretty good too.

ALICE is about the sexual escapades of Alice In Wonderland author Lewis Carroll.

BLOOD MONEY was to be called RED DRUM or something but it's from an 18th century play I believe.

Anyhow, both albums are the kind that flip open (no jewel cases) and they both have nice glossy booklets with complete lyrics and photos of Tom Waits.

I know that Best Buy has them both for $12.99 but that probably won't last more than a week or so.
Old 05-07-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BLOOD MONEY needs to grow on me, but I'm already confident enough to say that ALICE is among Tom's best work. Wow.

And BLOOD MONEY is music from the third Robert Wilson-Tom Waits collaboration, a musical called "Woyzeck," based on a classic German conceptual theatrical piece. I am excited about this because it is rumored that unlike the other two musicals (ALICE and THE BLACK RIDER) it will tour America, and I want very much to see it.
Old 09-05-20, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: For Tom Waits Fans

The TCM channel is running an End of Summer tour for the next 4 days with several concert & music related films - including Big Time, the rarely seen 1988 Tom Waits concert film at 12:15 pm est on Monday, Sept 7th!
Old 09-07-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts
Re: For Tom Waits Fans

I figured at some point Criterion would release Big Time... It seems like a perfect title for them to handle.