Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Guitar_God's commentary review #1: Evil Dead (w/Bruce Campbell)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-25-02, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if commentary reviews have been done before at DVDTalk.com so I just decided to give it a try here.

For those who do listen to DVD commentaries like I do quite often, I just thought it be cool to do commentary reviews. What commentary reviews are if you watch a movie with the commentary on, just write down a few notes of what you find th most interesting things that the director/producer/actor/etc says on the commentary.

For example, I'll start off with mine right here. This commentary is from the "Evil Dead: Book of the Dead" Edition DVD. The commentary track features Bruce Campbell himself.

This is how a commentary review would look like, these are the most interesting things that Bruce Campbell says on the commentary:

· The original title of the film was "Book of the Dead". A man by the name of Irvin Shapiro forced Sam Raimi to change the title because he thought the title was too graphic for the audience[li]
·The swamp was shot in Briton, Michigan. Sam shot the scene as he was being pushed on a raft by Bruce himself
· The old cabin really was in the the middle of nowhere in Knoxville, Tennessee. It actually existed but the cabin burned down a few years after the film was shot
· When they first found the cabin, it had a bit of 4 inches of cow crap on the floor, it had stray cats running around and it didn't have a basement. The film crew had to build the basement themselves
· The evil voice "Join Us" was Sam Raimi's voice
· The scene where Ash is in the basement, the water dripping from the pipes was not water, it was actually caro syrup
· The actors in the film didn't get paid much since it's a low budget film, each actor only got paid a 100 bucks a week
· The scene where the group listens to the 4 track reel to reel, it was originally supposed to have them smoke pot as they listen the evil speech. Bruce never smoked pot before so him and Sam had to do the scene all over the again
· The scene where the evil spirit says an evil chant from the ground, that chant means "Sam and Rob were the hitchiker's in the road" in English
· The scene where Linda takes off her shirt in the cabin, at first she refused to do that scene but then Sam and Bruce had to get her real drunk first. She then accepted to the do the scene while she was intoxicated
· The camera that break through windows is called the "Ram O Cam" which is tied to 2 X 4's with ropes
· To get different hairstyles in the film, Bruce used caro syrup 'cause they didn't have any real hair gel
· The scene where Ash is alone in the basement being splattered with blood, that scene was a tribute to a 3 Stooges episode
· The scene where the camera runs toward Bruce at the very last scene in the movie, Bruce WOULD NOT give out the secret whether it was a motorcycle or not. It was meant to be a secret that he wouldn't give away

Don't worry, I'm not giving out the entire commentary of everything he says. This is just a summary review.

Bruce Campbell was a lot of fun to listen to on this commentary track and he was a cool guy to listen to. As always, B.C. has a great sense of humor. This is probably one of the best commentaries I've heard in a long time.

Look for another commentary review later this week.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 04-25-02 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-28-02, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Campbell does say it was filmed "in the middle of nowhere". I kind of take offense to that statement, because it was filmed here in my hometown of Morristown (about 40 miles from Knoxville, TN). While Morristown is a somewhat small town, I wouldn't call it the middle of nowhere. I mean, we have a population of about 70,000, and we do have a mall (although I admit it wasn't built yet during the filmimg of the movie).

Yes, the cabin was burnt down several years after the movie was filmed (by some idiot kids I expect that had nothing better to do). I have recently been out to the site of the cabin (which is right next to a residential neiborhood BTW), and all that remains is the rock chimney and fireplace.
Old 04-28-02, 05:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Please post the same subject in only one forum. And DVD reviews do belong in the DVD Reviews Forum.