Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nick Cave recommendations?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-25-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I was just wondering if any Nick Cave fans could recommend their favorite album. I have Murder Ballads and No More Shall We Part and really like those, so if there's a similar album which you like, let me know. Or really any other "essential" album. I'd like to pick up something else and would rather not be disappointed.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let Love In is my favorite. There are some rather noisy moments, though it also has a handful of quiet weepers. If you're feeling adventurous, the first Bad Seeds' album, From Her to Eternity, is also quite spectacular. After those, I'd go with The Boatman's Call. That one's very spare and solemn throughout.
Old 04-25-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
The Boatman's Call
Old 04-25-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a superfan & only have a few albums, but I'll echo Pikul. Let Love In is definitely my favorite. The Boatman's Call is very good. From Her To Eternity I bought for the title track which I love, but I don't really remember how good the rest is... & I have to say that I HATED Murder Ballads.
Old 04-25-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boatman's Call
From Her to Eternity
Let Love In
Tender Prey

Also, if you get the import "Best of", int contains an EXCELLENT 9-track live concert captured at the Royal Albert Hall.

If you can handle the more frenetic side of the Bad Seeds, I would also highly recommend The Birthday Party (Cave's band prior to the Bad Seeds).

He is a must-see live performer. Hope you get the chance to see him on his current tour. Highly recommended!
Old 04-25-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I personally like the Birthday Party much more than Cave on his own. All of their records are great.

If you check out Cave live, do it on this tour. A wonderful band called Calla are supporting them. They are very very good.
Old 04-25-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not a Nick Cave fan... but am I missing something?

The only real contact I have had with his music was at Lolapolooza and it just absolutely sucked live. But it could have been that he just didn't fit in well with the rest of the groups.
Old 04-25-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Bad Seeds don't strike me as the type of band you'd want to see outside in the middle of the day. Chances are pretty good that you saw them roughly 20 minutes after they had rolled out of bed.
Old 04-25-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, I saw Nick Cave on that Lollapalooza tour as well and it was a stunning show (yeah, in the day was strange). Maybe they didn't fit in because they are BETTER Ya know, the one thing I like about some of the Lollapaloozas I attended was that there was a lot of variety.

I'm hoping to catch Nick Cave in two weeks here in Atlanta. It's the one show I have wanted to see over the past year (his tour was delayed after 9-11).

I really like "Let Love In" as well. The song "Loverman" is pretty much a summation of what I love best about him.
Old 04-25-02, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by atlantamoi

I'm hoping to catch Nick Cave in two weeks here in Atlanta. It's the one show I have wanted to see over the past year (his tour was delayed after 9-11).
Calla are opening at that show. I hope you like them. They've become friends of mine. For the most part they are great live, although I've seen a couple of clunker shows. Their last record was put out by Young God Records, Michael Gira's (of the Swans) label.
Old 04-25-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Yancey... I like the Swans a lot... if Calla is similar at all then I'll enjoy them. I work weird hours and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to Nick Cave, but I'm hoping.
Old 04-25-02, 08:30 PM

Murder Ballads is my absolute favorite. After that, I highly recommend Henry's Dream, then Tender Prey and Let Love In. I'll be at the Chicago Theatre tomorrow for the show! Siouxsie & The Banshees and Nick Cave all in one week. I'm in heaven.
Old 04-25-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the Swans a lot... if Calla is similar at all then I'll enjoy them.
The only resemblance sound-wise -- I think -- is in the more guitar-based parts of Soundtracks for the Blind. There's that lurch too. Overall, Calla definitely aren't as pummeling or confrontational.
Old 04-26-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Actually, I saw Nick Cave on that Lollapalooza tour as well and it was a stunning show (yeah, in the day was strange). Maybe they didn't fit in because they are BETTER Ya know, the one thing I like about some of the Lollapaloozas I attended was that there was a lot of variety.
If you saw the show in Atlanta, that's the one I was talking about. Like I said, I had never heard any of his music. I thought the set sucked... but that's just my uniformed opinion.

Oh, and I completely agree that the variety at Lollapalooza was cool.
Old 04-27-02, 10:03 AM

The best Nick Cave albums are "Murder Ballads" and "Henry's Dream"
Old 04-27-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the set sucked... but that's just my uniformed opinion.
Bah! You were there for it, right? So your opinion was definitely informed.
Old 04-27-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I first noticed Nick cave on the "Until the End of the World" soundtrack. At one point I had Murder Ballads, Henry's Dream, Let Love In, The Boatmans Call and Your Funeral My Trial.

Now I only have MB, HD and LLI. I just never listened to the others because, nothing kept me wanting to listen to them.
Old 04-27-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately almost every single NC album has been mentioned. I guess I'll just add them all up and see which got the most recommendations. I'll probably pick up Let Love In and the Boatmen's Call.

Also unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see the current tour. He was in Chicago last night, but I had something else going on and couldn't go. Did anyone else see it?
Old 04-27-02, 11:15 PM

I saw Nick last night in Chicago. Awesome show!!!! I'll post separately about it.
Old 04-28-02, 10:18 PM

Definitely check out "Henry's Dream" - overall his best album. "Live Seeds" is a nice "best of" collection of live tracks, but this was recorded prior to the release of "Let Love In" or his most recent works. Some of the live tracks are more powerful/better than the studio cuts.
Old 04-28-02, 10:21 PM

"The Boatman's Call" and "No More Shall We Part" are much more mellow albums than Nick Cave's older ones. Personally I like his older albums (more energy/intensity). They are all good though, depends on what you're in the mood for.