Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Marilyn Manson?

Old 04-24-02, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marilyn Manson?

who here is a marilyn fan?
Old 04-24-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Marilyn Manson?

Originally posted by Day Lahs
who here is a marilyn fan?
Hoo-boy, am I going to lose credibility here.

I've seen him 7 times in concert. Not necessarily for the music (which live tends to be a sludgy, tuneless white ball of noise), but rather for the Grand Guignol, Alice Cooper-at-his-height type theatrics.

I first caught Manson by accident as one of the opening acts for NIN. After that, I saw nearly every show that was near me simply because I knew he'd put on an entertaining set.

It's sort of the same reason I try not to miss Rob Zombie in concert. The visuals, the stage props, the completely over-the-top pyrotechnics, the giant killer robots - it's like live WWF wrestling without all the mullets and fake body-slams.

You know - stuff you wouldn't ever see at say a Creed concert.
Old 04-25-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a huge manson fan and have seen them live before. I don't know what else to say hehe.
Old 04-25-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He is hit and miss with me, sometimes I dig him, sometimes I don't really care.
Old 04-25-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd say the same thing to Manson's face that I'm saying to all of you: I think he's brilliant, and at the same time, I don't like his music at all. Somebody in rock should do (HAS to do) what Manson does, and they don't--so he fills a huge vacuum others are too chickenhearted to touch. It's the music world's loss.
Old 04-25-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like his stuff... when Rasputina sings it. I have to admit I've never really tried giving him a chance, but the songs they cover/work with him on are pretty keen.

~Scheherazade
Old 04-25-02, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
He's alright at best. Some of his stuff is good to listen to some of his stuff isn't. He's nothing special even though he obviously trys really hard to be.
Old 04-25-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Goat3001
Some of his stuff is good to listen to some of his stuff isn't.

i agree with this....i like some and dont like other stuf....i did see him live once though and it was a damn good show

i also completely agree with what grunter said about rob zombie...he puts on one amazing show
Old 04-25-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seen them live once.

I have all their albums too...
One of my fav albums of all time is Antichrist Superstar.

I'm hoping a new album comes out pretty soon, but really haven't heard much. He and Trent Reznor need to get back together and create Antichrist 2 or something.
Old 04-25-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Marilyn Manson?

Originally posted by grunter
I've seen him 7 times in concert. Not necessarily for the music (which live tends to be a sludgy, tuneless white ball of noise), but rather for the Grand Guignol, Alice Cooper-at-his-height type theatrics.
Having seen both in concert, I find Manson to be quite inferior. I enjoyed the show, but as hard as he tries, he's no Alice Cooper.

It's sort of the same reason I try not to miss Rob Zombie in concert. The visuals, the stage props, the completely over-the-top pyrotechnics, the giant killer robots - it's like live WWF wrestling without all the mullets and fake body-slams.
While Rob Zombie does in fact rule, there's nothing "fake" about a body slam. Mullets, on the other hand, have no place in a civilized society.

das
Old 04-25-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Zodo
Seen them live once.

I have all their albums too...
One of my fav albums of all time is Antichrist Superstar.

I'm hoping a new album comes out pretty soon, but really haven't heard much. He and Trent Reznor need to get back together and create Antichrist 2 or something.

No such luck getting back with Trent in the Studio (as far as I have heard anyway) but the new album is called "THe Golden age of Grotesque." It's somewhat thirties with manson taking on the form of some kind of burlesque character.

They just finished a reverse trilogy (holy wood, mechanical animals, ACS) and they said that now that they are finished with that chapter, they would like to try something else. As far as I have heard, the new album is going to be much more electric.
Old 04-26-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Marilyn Manson?

Originally posted by das Monkey

Having seen both in concert, I find Manson to be quite inferior. I enjoyed the show, but as hard as he tries, he's no Alice Cooper.

das: Which tour did you see Manson on? I know his more recent larger arena shows haven't been quite as "theatrical" or elaborate as his earlier tours. The tour that really impressed me as far as stagecraft and the one that I think most closely resembles a Cooper show (in his heyday) was the "Anti-Christ Superstar" tour. It was like a demented Broadway musical staged with circus side-show freaks. The stage began dressed as a gothic cathedral and by mid-way through the show it had been transformed into hideously destroyed parody of its original look - with crucified angels floating around the stage and a convincing "Phantom of the Opera" like shift into a decrepit shamble of a chathedral. The snowstorm effect in the middle of the show and the now-ubiquitous (for Manson at least) rising "nazi" platform with Manson on the top screaming "Hate is Love. Love is hate" went well beyond the "DOPE SHOW" lights and eight-legged spider-freak regalia of his more recent tours.

Too bad there's not a video documentary of that tour - that I know of.

Incidentally has anyone heard that Adema song that's being (over) played on the radio? Something about the fuzzy sound of the guitar and that high-pitched keening counter-melody just screams Manson to me. I almost wish Manson would go a bit more mainstream with his sound - and this Adema tune is what I would imagine (in an ideal world) his sound evolving into. Like others above have mentioned, presentation wise and "stirring sh*t up" wise, the man's brilliant, but his music stays just a little too atonal and conventionally sludgy to really influence the minds of more mainstream youth.

(Of course, that being said "Disposable Teens" and "The Beautiful People" were tremendous singles.)
Old 04-30-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grunter:

The closest thing I've seen to a video of the Anti-Christ tour is a video called "Dead to the World". It concert footage of various songs off the Anti-Christ album with odd stuff in between songs...like christian protesters outside the concert, and some rather freaky stuff as well....

Overall I'd recommend it...can read more reviews on Amazon or other places I'm sure....
Old 05-02-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Manson's done some great songs, particularly "The Beautiful People", one of the best hard rock singles in a long time. I saw him live once, opening for Nine Inch Nails and the Jim Rose Circus. I'd heard his stuff before, but 90% of the crowd hadn't. The stage was decorated with gigantic lollypops and candy canes. It was the day Jeffrey Dahmer was killed in prison, and he did a tribute to him, saying that today we freaks "had lost one of our own." About 25 minutes into their set, he began removing his clothes and was forcibly removed from the stage by arena security. A memorable show to say the least. He almost managed to "out-freak" the Jim Rose Circus.

That said, I think Manson's managed to turn himself into a joke pretty quickly. I think he's one of the more talented shock meisters music's seen in a while, so hopefully he manages to save himself from complete irrelevance. For a laugh, read this story
Old 05-02-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Question: If Manson didn't have that outrageous anti-christ image, do you think he'd be as big as he is today?
Old 05-02-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't think i would consider myself a manson fan, but i think the entire Portrait Of An American Family album is great. i could care less about his act or persona really. i like all his popular songs that are on mtv. beautiful people, disposable teens, fight song, anti christ super star, irresponsible hate anthem, and 1996.
thought the mechanical animals album sucked bigtime.

i saw manson live in 94 heh. it was at the TLA in philly.
Old 05-03-02, 07:07 PM

the stuff with a more electronic influence like Antichrist I like best.
The theme he did to Resident Evil is awesome.

--kev
Old 05-03-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gsuscryst
thought the mechanical animals album sucked bigtime.
It's funny you mention that as a casual fan because most "Hardcore fans" (ie Goth poser not exactly that hardcore) people consider it crappy, but it has been hailed as one of his best from critics from a musical and lyrical standpoint. I'm one of the few intelligent big time manson fans and I consider it a great album.

I would say Holy Wood, though is a great album, is probably his weakest (not including SLC.)