Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok, people. I'm disappointed you weren't more insistent about System of a Down

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-24-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally broke down and bought "Toxicity" this past weekend. It's been one of those titles I've been meaning to try because I do love the radio single "Chop Suey!" And since Spin named it Best Album of last year, I figured - what the hell? - I might as well give it a shot.

I was fully prepared for some average, middle-of-the-road, angst-y slab of nu-metal. You know somewhere along the lines of the better Staind or Papa Roach tracks (however few those are). That generic crud that gets overplayed day-in and day-out on your local "alterna-station."

But . . . damn!

I popped "Toxicity" into my disc player yesterday afternoon and haven't been able to stop listening to it since. This is the album Metallica wishes it could make on its best day - heavy as all hell, but still tuneful and lyrically and melodically sophisticated. The eastern influences aren't of the subtle-as-a-cold-pickaxe-to-the-forehead type like say, I dunno - that recent OASIS single.

Had I known it was this good before now, I might have actually paid full retail to get it earlier. And this from someone who doesn't automatically gravitate to "metal." (Although to call System of a Down just "metal" from the sound of "Toxicity" would be a disservice, I think.)

If an album of this caliber pops up again, I expect the Music forum regulars to pipe up much, much louder next time. I don't want to be late experiencing tunes this good ever again - so I'm counting on you to steer me towards works of this nature.

This means you.

(Although no amount of steerage, however insistent, will get me to listen to Dream Theater or Marillion ever again. *eeee, shudder* )

Last edited by grunter; 04-24-02 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-24-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you might want to try Fantomas. They aren't melodic though. If you like System of a Down's start stop and screaming type tracks then you might like Fantomas. They did a whole album of movie themes such as The Godfather and The Omen. Check em' out if you get a chance. The lead singer of this band is Mike Patton from Faith No More.

Toxicity is an excellent album by the way.
Old 04-24-02, 07:05 PM
Suspended

I dig em, and they are great live also
Old 04-24-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, I plugged this band many of times on this board.
Old 04-24-02, 08:37 PM
Retired

Yep, System of a Down are great. Be sure to pick up their self-titled first album as well. It's pretty much just as good as Toxicity.
Old 04-24-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Their first cd is great too. It is a bit more edgy though, not as much melodic stuff. I got into them before their first cd came out and have enjoyed them ever since.
Old 04-24-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got into them after the first south park album came out.
Old 04-24-02, 08:54 PM

did you get the re-issue that came out yesterday? it comes with a FREE DVD.
Old 04-24-02, 11:02 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

i would like SOAD a lot better if the lead singer didn't sound like an autistic orangutan
Old 04-24-02, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by enthused
i would like SOAD a lot better if the lead singer didn't sound like an autistic orangutan
I love his voice, I guess to each his own.
Old 04-25-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MJKTool

Me too! One of my favorite albums for awhile.
Old 04-25-02, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

good CD, great live!
Old 04-25-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

he's a bit preachy with some of his lyrics, and that usually kills a band for me. these guys have a great sound though and both of their albums still get a high rotation in my cd tray.

fantomas are good too, although mr. bungle is still my favorite mike patton project. the first bungle album is an f'in classic. his newest stuff with tomahawk is pretty good too.
Old 04-25-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
I find his voice a bit disturbing/creepy
Old 04-25-02, 03:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
For heavy as hell try the new Immortal CD.
Old 04-28-02, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not everyone piped in about this album, because it's pretty much lumped into all the other neogrunge metal garbage that is out there. I've only heard what is on the radio and it doesn't suckee that much, but this sound is played out in my mind. Of course, I haven't heard the whole album so my comments might not be fair. But there are other things I'm more interested in.
Old 04-28-02, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by enthused
Yeah, everytime I hear them on the radio(which is about every 5 minutes) I just laugh at the singers voice.
Old 04-28-02, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by AutumnNights
What's on the dvd ?
Toxicity (video)
Prison Song (live)
Chop Suey (live)
Bounce (live)
Old 04-28-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes SOAD is great....I've been listening to both of their albums constantly since I d/l them. His voice is great - very cool. If only I could do that screaming/growl thing!

And the "Preachyness" is what I like best about them.

If a band doesn't have a message, then what's the point. If you don't have ideas about something and beleive in them and want to share them, then I don't want to hear it. If the band doesn't have a point, then I'd rather they didn't even have a lead singer, just music.
Old 04-28-02, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by ziggy
If only I could do that screaming/growl thing!
You would actually want to sound like that.

If a band doesn't have a message, then what's the point.
Entertainment. Isn't that the main purpose of music anyway.
Old 04-29-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i noticed that there are four versions. regular, explicit, regular with dvd, explicit with dvd.
Old 04-29-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Ok, people. I'm disappointed you weren't more insistent about System of a Down

Originally posted by grunter

This is the album Metallica wishes it could make on its best day - heavy as all hell, but still tuneful and lyrically and melodically sophisticated.
You have to be kidding. I understand that you are a SOAD fan, but Metallica is a far superior band. They have music thats much heavier (The Thing That Should Not Be, which is what I'm listening to now), music that is still tuneful (Master Of Puppets) and music that it Lyrically sophisticated (One, For Whom The Bell Tolls).

I also disagree with SOAD being lyrically sophisticated. They may have catchy lyrics, (maybe thats what you mean I'm not sure), but they lack a message with their lyrics which makes them much more powerful IMO.

Toxicity, despite the rave reviews, is nothing compared to Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All. Maybe if you compare Toxicity to Re-Load you have an argument, but saying that System of a Down is what Metallica wishs it could be on its best day, I don't think so.

BTW, this is just my opinion

Oh yeah and Trout, Immortal slays \m/

Last edited by Goat3001; 04-29-02 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-29-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Ok, people. I'm disappointed you weren't more insistent about System of a Down

Originally posted by Goat3001

Toxicity, despite the rave reviews, is nothing compared to Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All. Maybe if you compare Toxicity to Re-Load you have an argument, but saying that System of a Down is what Metallica wishs it could be on its best day, I don't think so.

BTW, this is just my opinion

Oh yeah and Trout, Immortal slays \m/
[hijack]What has happened to Metallica though? The albums you mention are all from the 80s. Has Metallica done anything superior compared to Toxicity since ...and Justice for All?[/hijack]
Old 04-29-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ok, people. I'm disappointed you weren't more insistent about System of a Down

Originally posted by J-Dubya

[hijack]What has happened to Metallica though? The albums you mention are all from the 80s. Has Metallica done anything superior compared to Toxicity since ...and Justice for All?[/hijack]
Well IMO, The Black Album and Load were superior. Also Grunter said that SOAD is better than "Metallica's Best Day". Of course Metallica's best day was in the 80's with those albums I mentioned before. They did slip with their later releases (or sell out but thats another thread), but that wasn't there "best day"
Old 04-29-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

after reading the lyrics, there are no bad words, so why is there an explicit version

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.