Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats the secret to scoring good seats for a concert?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-24-02, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get rush tickets in Va Beach when they go on sale MAy 4th what sthe best way to get in the 1st ten rows?????????
Old 04-24-02, 08:33 AM

sometimes bands will have pre-sale for the tickets. usually you got to be part of a fan club or on the mailing list or something. you could check on Rush's site. If there is no pre-sale, you could try buying online the second they go on sale, but there is a chance ticketmaster server being really slow, and that could push your seats way back. or you can go camp out where ever they sell tickets by you
Old 04-24-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I landed 10th row seats to Rush just by going through ticketmaster's website the moment they went on sale. Pre-sales are the best, I've scored 2nd row to Kiss and 3rd row to the Chili Peppers/Foo Fighters show. Sometimes bands release great seats in the days leading up to the show (often the day of the event so I've heard).
Old 04-24-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that, and it also helps to know someone who knows someone on the inside of Ticketmaster
Old 04-24-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I think TicketBastard has changed how the tickets are pulled up online. In the old days, the first in got the best seats. That is not how it is anymore. It is random. For Rush this past Saturday, the tickets I pulled up 30 seconds after they went on sale were the worst I pulled during the whole hour ordeal. Fifteen minutes after they went on sale, we pulled up Orchestra level tickets, just a few feet from the stage. Figure that one out.

I know they do it to keep scalpers from getting in early and getting all of the good stuff but it is eally silly that they do it this way. First in should get the best seats, regardless of scalpers. True fans who are willing to get up early and wait in line or online should be rewarded. And it does not slow down scalping. Instead of the old-school "professional" scalpers, you have regular folks doing the same thing, only it's on eBay, not thru a store. I've done it myself. If I lock in 2 sets of good seats, I will keep one and sell the others to pay for my tickets.
Old 04-24-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get on the line with a CSR at ticketmaster 5 or 10 minutes before the on sale time. Ask about a bunch of other shows just to keep them busy and when the time comes ask for tickets to the show you want.
Old 04-24-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by e_hartnett
Get on the line with a CSR at ticketmaster 5 or 10 minutes before the on sale time. Ask about a bunch of other shows just to keep them busy and when the time comes ask for tickets to the show you want.
I've done this before as well. Works like a charm...
Old 04-24-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Work in radio.
Old 04-24-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The best seats I ever had for concerts were tickets I bought the day of the show. On three seperate occasions I was within the first 15 rows in the center. This was for Allman Brothers, Santana and Steve Miller.
Old 04-24-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Work in radio.

Bastards. Radio stations get many of the good tickets anyway. It's all part of the TicketBastard/SFX/Clear Channel/record label conspiracy that is ruining music.
Old 04-24-02, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
I think TicketBastard has changed how the tickets are pulled up online. In the old days, the first in got the best seats. That is not how it is anymore. It is random. For Rush this past Saturday, the tickets I pulled up 30 seconds after they went on sale were the worst I pulled during the whole hour ordeal. Fifteen minutes after they went on sale, we pulled up Orchestra level tickets, just a few feet from the stage. Figure that one out.
That's because everybody locks up tickets on-line as soon as the go on sale. I think everyone has 5 minutes to make a decision. I would expect probably half of on-line purchases let their tickets go.

- Matt
Old 04-24-02, 03:38 PM

If you're brave enough, buy a single ticket. Sometimes you can get the first few rows well after tickets go on sale.

- Matt
Old 04-24-02, 03:41 PM

Is there any advantage whatsoever in standing in line?

I know for a few local clubs I can get nearly all fees waived in doing do, but otherwise...

- Matt
Old 04-24-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Standing in line is good becaue you are guaranteed to get tickets if there are any left, as opposed to buying online, where you may or may not be able to lock onto tickets, depending on how busy the website is.

Also, the randomness has nothing to do with people locking and then letting tickets go. I tried for the tickets 2 days later and was still pulling up better seats than when they first went on sale.
Old 04-24-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
The only times that I've been able to get good seats at big concerts were when I got the tickets for free from "connections".

Everytime I've paid money for tickets, I've gotten mediocre to bad seats.

But now a-days I don't even bother with "big" concerts anymore. Most bands that I like play in small enough venues where if it isn't generel admission, every seat is good.
Old 04-24-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
that, and it also helps to know someone who knows someone on the inside of Ticketmaster
Bingo.
Old 04-24-02, 05:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus

If advanced tickets are a part of the deal, join the band's fan club.
Old 04-24-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I scored 3rd row Rush seats in Scranton by using Ticketmaster. The internet presale started two days before the public sale at Tickmaster outlets. Some things that I've learned about getting good Tickmaster seats:

1.) Super fast internet connection

2.) Have multiple computers

3.) Bring page that is going to sell tickets up and keep hitting "refresh" till you see the tickets go on sale.
Old 04-24-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Whats the secret to scoring good seats for a concert?

Originally posted by blaineo
I want to get rush tickets in Va Beach when they go on sale MAy 4th what sthe best way to get in the 1st ten rows?????????
Blaineo, you need to sign up at: www.rush.com My guess you have to be a member to get advanced ticket information, they did not do this for the first round of concerts. They don't have the advance ticket sales tab turned on yet, but they will soon.

Last edited by Lateralus; 04-24-02 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-24-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
IF the show is sold out, go to the venue on the day of and wait for the concert promoters and ticket agencies to release killer seats.

YOU MAY miss part or all of the opening band...BIG DEAL...and you may have to sit alone from your buddies because it's easier to get good individuals than getting good multiples...but again, big deal.

I don't mind sitting alone and taking in the whole show.
Old 04-25-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring page that is going to sell tickets up and keep hitting "refresh" till you see the tickets go on sale.

You are only allowed to do this so many times. Eventually, Ticketmaster will lock you out and you will get a message that you have violated their terms of use. You are locked out for about 5 minutes.
Old 04-25-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cdollaz
Bring page that is going to sell tickets up and keep hitting "refresh" till you see the tickets go on sale.

You are only allowed to do this so many times. Eventually, Ticketmaster will lock you out and you will get a message that you have violated their terms of use. You are locked out for about 5 minutes.
I must have hit "refresh" 50 times, and i did not get a message. But I did have two PC's available for use so even if it did happen I could have used the second PC.