Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"Spiderman" soundtrack: the band Curve gets screwed

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-24-02, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Being a huge Curve fan, I'm beyond disgusted that after 6 months of using their song "Head Above Water" in the "Spiderman" previews/coming attractions, the song is NOT included on the soundtrack. I mainly upset because this would be great exposure for this under appreciated band. Everyone has heard the song on the preview, but most don't even know who it was. Curve did not know even know whether or not it would be on the album as of a few weeks ago based on their official website. Take a look at who is. And just look at the last song/group. For F*** sake!!

Track Listings 1. Theme From Spider Man
2. Hero - Chad Kroeger (feat. Josey Scott)
3. What We're All About - Sum 41
4. Learn To Crawl - Black Lab
5. Somebody Else - Bleu
6. Bug Bites - Alien Ant Farm
7. Blind - Default
8. Bother - Corey Taylor
9. Shelter - Greenwheel
10. When It Started - The Strokes
11. Hate To Say I Told You So - The Hives
12. Invisible Man - Theory Of A Dead Man
13. Undercover - Pete Yorn
14. My Nutmeg Phantasy - Macy Gray (feat. Angie Stone and Mos Def)(Tom Morello Mix)
15. I - IV - V - Injected
16. She Was My Girl - Jerry Cantrell
17. Main Titles - Danny Elfman
18. Farewell - Danny Elfman
19. Theme from Spiderman - Aerosmith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auctions
Old 04-24-02, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the most part - does the music in the trailers even usually make it on the soundtrack? I remember when Cruel Intentions was out and I wanted to know what a song was in the trailer. I bought the CD and it wasn't on there (it was 6 underground by Sneaker Pimps). I don't think 6 Underground was used in the movie (just the trailer), which may be the case with your song.

They use ES Prometheus's Pompeii in just about every trailer also and it is not on the soundtrack. Luckily, I have their cd.
Old 04-24-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally posted by Eternia
For the most part - does the music in the trailers even usually make it on the soundtrack? I remember when Cruel Intentions was out and I wanted to know what a song was in the trailer. I bought the CD and it wasn't on there (it was 6 underground by Sneaker Pimps). I don't think 6 Underground was used in the movie (just the trailer), which may be the case with your song.

They use ES Prometheus's Pompeii in just about every trailer also and it is not on the soundtrack. Luckily, I have their cd.
I completely forgot about the Sneaker Pimps song being used in the "Cruel Intentions" preview. Great tune btw. I think the main difference there was, that song was already a fairly popular modern rock tune. It had been out a while (possibly a year). Curve are a fairly obscure British band. That were royally screwed over by their record label and I was hoping this would help them out. It would have been great exposure for them. Even they thought the song might have a good chance getting on the soundtrack. Another blow for them. But you're right, most songs in previews don't appear on the soundtrack. Even some songs that appear in movies dont' make it on the album. Then you have songs on soundtracks that aren't even in the movie either (like Depeche Mode's "Dirt" in "Resident Evil").
Old 04-24-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Daytripper....I'm a huge Curve fan too! Glad to know you are as well. Rather sh*tty that they are not included on the soundtrack. Well, what can you expect from people who chose to have Aerosmith sing the title song. Yuck.
Old 04-24-02, 08:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is nothing new.

The soundtrack of the trailer is chosen by the marketing people who cut the trailer together. It usually has nothing to do with the actual music of the film. If you like a song played in a trailer, don't go to the movie or buy the soundtrack expecting to hear that song. Nine times out of ten you'll be disappointed.
Old 04-24-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

going off on a tangent here...

i just heard Hero by Chad Kroeger (feat. Josey Scott). Am i the only one that thinks this song sounds a little like Seal's Kiss From A Rose?
Old 04-24-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eternia

The CI soundtrack is still among my alltime favorites along with the beach though (for song soundtracks as opposed to scores).
Old 04-24-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper

I completely forgot about the Sneaker Pimps song being used in the "Cruel Intentions" preview. Great tune btw. I think the main difference there was, that song was already a fairly popular modern rock tune. It had been out a while (possibly a year). Curve are a fairly obscure British band. That were royally screwed over by their record label and I was hoping this would help them out. It would have been great exposure for them. Even they thought the song might have a good chance getting on the soundtrack. Another blow for them. But you're right, most songs in previews don't appear on the soundtrack. Even some songs that appear in movies dont' make it on the album. Then you have songs on soundtracks that aren't even in the movie either (like Depeche Mode's "Dirt" in "Resident Evil").
I agree that it would have been great exposure. It does suck that songs that are heavily used in the trailers are not on the soundtrack. Like I said, many times that has happened to me. I don't recall the song you are talking about, everytime I see the Spider-Man trailers I usually hear the Pompeii song. I will listen for this song also - maybe I actually heard it already in it and probably like it since I have enjoyed all the music I have heard in the Spider-Man trailers.

Maybe someone will come up with the concept to release a compliation of trailer songs - I would buy it!
Old 04-24-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Count me in as a Curve fan too. As far as film music goes though, I am sick and tired of films having soundtracks and not SCORES! John Williams anyone?