Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever feel like kicking yourself for not going to a concert?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-23-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in May, I went to a small craphole of a club to go see Wesley Willis with a friend. They had posters everywhere for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, who were coming there a few days later.

Thought about going to check it out, but missed it. Now that I have heard some of their stuff, I really wish I could have gone and seen it. Since I live here in OK, there is no way in hell they will ever come back probably. Guess I'll have to go to Dallas to see them, next tour
Old 04-23-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No but I almost did in the fall of 91 while in college. A friend wanted me to go to a club to check out a band he liked that I had never heard of (Nirvana). It was right at the time "Nevermind" was released and it was a powerful performance that I will never forget. Luckily I decided to go, but if I had not I'm sure I would have kicked myself a few times over missing it
Old 04-23-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When Rush came around in 97 I thought "ah they will tour again"...then the stuff with Neil happened and I thought I would never get a chance to see Rush. Thank goodness I was wrong.
Old 04-23-02, 04:14 PM

Yes. I'm kicking myself for not going to Phish's last show(s) at Shoreline before the hiatus. I didn't really have anyone willing to go with me and didn't really feel up to going solo. (though I have done that before) Had I known this was going to be it, I would have definitely gone.
Old 04-23-02, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by larryw
Yes. I'm kicking myself for not going to Phish's last show(s) at Shoreline before the hiatus. I didn't really have anyone willing to go with me and didn't really feel up to going solo. (though I have done that before) Had I known this was going to be it, I would have definitely gone.
Not to rub it in, but I was third row center for those shows...one of the best weekends of my life.
Old 04-23-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Dubya
No but I almost did in the fall of 91 while in college. A friend wanted me to go to a club to check out a band he liked that I had never heard of (Nirvana). It was right at the time "Nevermind" was released and it was a powerful performance that I will never forget. Luckily I decided to go, but if I had not I'm sure I would have kicked myself a few times over missing it
I would've had to kick you if you missed that!!
Old 04-23-02, 04:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I kick myself for not having caught Pink Floyd during the Pulse tour. I just hope that one day they do another tour.
Old 04-23-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I worked at a small independent music shop a long, long time ago, my boss was probably the biggest deadhead around. He worked a deal where our store would be one of the exclusive outlets for Grateful Dead tickets for shows in Vermont. I worked the counter numerous weekends when these tickets went on sale. I could easily have pulled off a pair and gone to experience the Dead. But I was a snarky, smart-alec music shop clerk (we played Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" at full volume while selling the Dead tix, for example) who just took the band for granted and assumed they'd be touring and touring and touring for decades to come - or until Jerry kicked it.

Sadly, Jerry kicked it before our third round of shows were about to go on sale.

I will forever regret not seeing the Dead.
Old 04-23-02, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv

Not to rub it in, but I was third row center for those shows...one of the best weekends of my life.
That's awesome - I'm officially jealous. It was somewhat depressing when I found out they were going on hiatus and that the last 2 shows they played were less than an hour away.
Old 04-23-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just realized that Iced Earth played here last night... I didn't even know about it. I thought that they were done touring for Horrorshow after being the opener for Megadeth (which I also missed)

D'oh!
Old 04-23-02, 09:52 PM
Suspended

GNR & Metallica stadium tour

and....... Alice In Chains
Old 04-23-02, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Dubya
I noticed that you are in Texas. Was that the show at Trees where Cobain attacked the bodyguards at the front of the stage?

I've seen some of that on tape. Pretty wild show.
Old 04-23-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
BRMC actually just played in Dallas a week ago opening for Spiritualized. I thought I was going to get to see them again next week, but I just found out that they cancelled the Milwaukee and Minneapolis dates. Yes, I'll still get to see Spiritualized, but I'm pissed that BRMC cancelled. And for what? A british TV show that we won't even get to see. Real nice. Way to endear your fans.

I will probably be kicking myself for not going to the BRMC/Spiritualized show in Chicago the night before the Milwaukee show, but I really can't make it.
Old 04-23-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
GNR & Metallica stadium tour

and....... Alice In Chains
I saw GNR & Metallica in DC. If you were going to see GNR, believe me, you didn't miss much. This was at the height of Axl's bingeing.

-Steve
Old 04-23-02, 11:25 PM

I used to bounce in a nightclub and was good friends with the DJ. He had turned me onto U2 and during the Joshua Tree tour he had 2 back stage passes to their show about 300 miles away. Well turns out he couldn't go, so he tells me I can have them if I can find someone else to go with me. He was giving me first shot at them but if I couldn't use both of them he would pass them on to someone who could. The concert was the next day so I tried to round up another person but all I got was "Sorry, can't get off from work", "I don't like U2", "That's too long of a drive", "Sorry, too short of a notice" etc. Was totally unable to round anyone up so he gave them to his cousin! Arggghhh!
Old 04-23-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my parents were total Deadheads, and were always asking me to come with them to see the Dead. I just kept passing,and passing...

I regret it so much now...
Old 04-24-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nine Inch Nails w/ Marilyn Manson. October 31, 1995, Houston Texas.
Old 04-24-02, 06:42 AM

U2's Elevation Tour. I love the DVD though. It makes me wish that I had somehow come up with the $$$ to go to the show. I did get to go to a Tori Amos show instead though. It was a good show... but nowhere near what the Elevation Tour DVD shows! I will NOT miss the next U2 tour!
Old 04-24-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the Grateful Dead in Chicago, summer of 91
Yes up in Wisconsin that same summer
Old 04-24-02, 02:05 PM

My all-time worst mistake was leaving La Semana Alegre in San Antonio, TX one night so that I didn't miss curfew in April, 1990 (well, I was only 15) -

...missing the start of Stevie Ray Vaughan's last-ever area show by about 10 minutes. I would've gotten in trouble if I had only known, but as it was, I thought, 'c'mon, he's from Texas, he'll play here again within a year...'
Old 04-24-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Pink Floyd "Animals" tour - circa 1977
Soldier Field, Chicago

The concert was on Father's Day. Being the good teenaged son that I was, I passed on tickets (even though ALL of my friends went) because I figured it would be wrong to go to a concert on Father's Day.

When we saw a blurb on the local news about it my dad wanted to know why I hadn't gone. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
Old 04-24-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always wished I could have seen Smashing Pumpkins before they split.
Old 04-24-02, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
While I"ve been to several memorable concerts, I'll always be pissed at myself that I skipped Phish at Big Cypress to see the epic 8 hour set live. Bootlegs are good, but I've got a sinking feeling that they do it no justice.
Old 04-24-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a chance to see No Doubt at a small bar in College Station once. This was back when they had just released their first album. I bought their album when it first came out and really wanted to go, but I didn't because my gf at the time "didn't feel like it." I've always regretted not going.
Old 04-24-02, 05:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus

The big one I regret is not seeing Nine Inch Nails tour with David Bowie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.