Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Old 04-23-02, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I just picked up YHF today. The material is somewhat similar to summerteeth, but there is more atmosphere and play with song structure, and a somewhat darker tone. They integrate a lot of "radio-like" electronica and feedback into almost every song, which works most of the time in an original way I've never quite heard before. I'll be curious to see if this is the one that takes Wilco over the top.
Old 04-23-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
I've been looking around today, but very record store near me says that this hasn't come out yet...

I'm so angry right now.
Old 04-23-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like it alot. It's not much of a shock to me anymore, though, since this has been out over the internet since last year. I love the artwork on the cover, though. Sam Jones did a good job.

experimentation works well for Wilco. Jay Farrar, on the other hand, well......

filmzombie-- you didn't already have the tracks downloaded off the internet?

Other otters--I won two free tickets to the NPR program World Café featuring Wilco on Monday, April 29th in NYC. Too bad I can't go. I'm in the middle of finals and no way I could afford those plane tickets. Still.....
Old 04-24-02, 07:10 PM

Yeah, I knew they were streaming stuff off their website, but I wanted the actual CD just to have the CD, etc.. Although I like Wilco a lot more than farrar/son volt, it would be awesome to see a UT reunion - for a tour and actual new album(s).
Old 04-24-02, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by filmzombie
Yeah, I knew they were streaming stuff off their website, but I wanted the actual CD just to have the CD, etc.. Although I like Wilco a lot more than farrar/son volt, it would be awesome to see a UT reunion - for a tour and actual new album(s).
I love Uncle Tupelo. However, I really don't want a reunion at all. Tweedy has moved so far beyond what UT did, and I don't want to see him jump backward, when Wilco's leaps forward have been so exciting and successful. Also, Tweedy was a second fiddle in UT. He could never go back to that role, and if he didn't, it wouldn't really be UT.
Old 04-25-02, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Penny Lane
Other otters--I won two free tickets to the NPR program World Café featuring Wilco on Monday, April 29th in NYC. Too bad I can't go. I'm in the middle of finals and no way I could afford those plane tickets. Still.....
Want to part with them? I could go, I'm in NYC.
Old 04-25-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After both Maxim and FHM gave these guys a strong review, I downloaded some tracks to check them out. Definately a decent group. I'm considering purchasing the actual CD.
Old 04-25-02, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Thunderball
Maxim and FHM gave these guys a strong review
Both bastions of strong critical theory...
Old 04-25-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by Yancey

heh.

Old 04-25-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, well, th ose are the only two mags I really read anymore, and since they both were praising them, it piqued my curiousity
Old 04-25-02, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball

Ah, well, th ose are the only two mags I really read anymore, and since they both were praising them, it piqued my curiousity
Oh, I understand. I'm not criticising, I just had no idea that they had any sort of weight. They turned you onto a great record, so that's pretty sweet, in my mind.
Old 04-25-02, 12:19 PM

My brother knows I'm a big Wilco fan, and he actually called me the day he got the new Maxim to let me know that they were praising YHF. He said that based on the review, he might actually check it out as well. I don't put much stock in Maxim's reviews either, but as long as they're praising legitimately great music, I'm not gonna complain.
Old 04-25-02, 05:08 PM

Want to part with them? I could go, I'm in NYC.
I wish I could, dear, but there's no way. The tickets were non-transferable so I just had to write them back and let them know I couldn't take the tickets.

Thunderball-- good thing. I think you should buy a few cds.

Gdrlv-- I agree with you about no UT reunion. I think Wilco are much better off without that a$$hole Jay Farrar. Jeff's a better songwriter, anyway, nowadays.
Old 04-25-02, 05:16 PM

Jeff's a better songwriter, anyway, nowadays.
Penny, you have quite the gift for understatement.

I think Tweedy is one one of the most important songwriters alive today...

I would say though that with UT's early stuff, Farrar was clearly better than Tweedy. His growth in the decade plus from No Depression to YHF is staggering.
Old 04-25-02, 05:24 PM

I wish I could, dear, but there's no way. The tickets were non-transferable so I just had to write them back and let them know I couldn't take the tickets.
Thanks anyway.

I'm going to see them tonight. I might be able to get in to the NPR show on Monday if their publicist would just return my phonecalls. Grr...
Old 04-25-02, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv

Penny, you have quite the gift for understatement.

I think Tweedy is one one of the most important songwriters alive today...

I would say though that with UT's early stuff, Farrar was clearly better than Tweedy. His growth in the decade plus from No Depression to YHF is staggering.
I agree with you on all accounts.

On that last one, I agree especially. Farrar was the thorn in Tweedy's side, the DEVIL OF OPPRESSION. THE KEEPER DOWN OF ALL THINGS TWEEDY. I just took my African American lit final a few hours ago. Still wound up.
Old 04-25-02, 07:35 PM

So I know us die-hard fans have already had the CD for a while or have already heard it when it was streamed over their web site, but I was curious to see how people think this one rates compared to their previous albums and which track is people's favorites.

Now I know it can be hard to make that judgement as when I first heard Summerteeth, I didn't like it much. But now it is my favorite of their CDs by far. Who knows, I really like YHF, but it is behind Summerteeth right now. Maybe it will someday surpass it. Wilco songs always seem to be the kind that reward you for listening to them more than once. That's a great thing about Wilco and one of the reasons they are my favorite band.

Oh, and for the record, my favorite song is "Jesus, Etc." although "I'm The Man Who Loves You" (which I didn't like upon hearing it cold live last year) is quickly moving up.

I cannot wait for the documentary Sam Jones is working on. Been watching some clips on the web site and the live performance plus the stuff with Tweedy and his kid at the beginning is sweet on the CD.
Old 04-25-02, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by badger1997
So I know us die-hard fans have already had the CD for a while or have already heard it when it was streamed over their web site, but I was curious to see how people think this one rates compared to their previous albums and which track is people's favorites.
I've known the songs for quite a while now...through their website and from the live shows I've downloaded (which I highly recommend...great quality and great performances). Between Being There, Summerteeth and YHF, it's hard to pick a favorite. They're 3 of the best records released in the past 10 years...if not longer. I do think that Tweedy becomes a better songwriter with each passing album, and I also think that Wilco benefits from all the experimentation that they do. YHF will probably eventually become my favorite Wilco record, but right now, I'm still more familiar with Summerteeth.

As for favorite tracks, "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" is one of the best songs that Tweedy's ever written. So many layers, yet it somehow suceeds in sounding minimal. Just a beautiful tune. I also really like "Pot Kettle Black" and "Jesus, Etc.", but to tell the truth, I could name any song on the disc as one of my favorites. I don't think it has a single clunker and each tune fills a vital role over the course of the album.

Honestly, I can't say enough good things about the disc, and I get more impressed with each listen.
Old 04-26-02, 12:20 AM

Gdrlv, you're a good person my friend. Your liking of Wilco and your sig shows you have great musical tastes.
Old 04-26-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After all the hype that had been swelling around this record for months and Rolling Stone's review I decieded to pick this up (never being a Wilco fan, but always wanting to get Summer Teeth) and I have to say it is a great cd...
Old 04-26-02, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Gdrlv

As for favorite tracks, "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" is one of the best songs that Tweedy's ever written. So many layers, yet it somehow suceeds in sounding minimal. Just a beautiful tune.
I think you summed it up pretty well. This is probably my favorite, too. Did they do it live at Las Vegas? They did in Atlanta last September, opened the show with it, and it was awesome!

The lyrics to "Reservations" are the most poetic, in my opinion. But I really think Wilco benefit alot by the musical experimentation and short wave radio mixes they incorporated into the songs.

As far as the favorite album of theirs, I love them all. I am tempted to say Being There is still my favorite, but then I remember others that I really like. Not sure I can pick a favorite.
Old 04-26-02, 10:16 AM

So I saw them last night. The show was okay. I was feeling kind of pissy, which certainly colored my reception of them. They played for about two and a half hours, but the crowd was awful. 90% male, 90% fratboy. Poor reception to the new songs. During "Radio Cure" everyone talked through it (or at least the guys behind me). They did play "Roses Bloom Again," which I hadn't seen them play before. I think my favorite aspect of the show is how much Jeff Tweedy has clearly been listening to Glenn Branca & Sonic Youth. Some really nice noise parts that I know most of the crowd would detest if it weren't Wilco playing them. So that's kind of gratifying, for the band to make people sit through something they would typically hate.

I've seen them three times now with the new lineup and each time I've seen them it's become more apparent to me that Glenn Kotche is easily the most talented person in the band. He is absolutely phenomenal. I've always been a big fan of his work with Jim O'Rourke, but Tweedy's songwriting compliments him well. He gets to play with the offbeats and his crazy fills, but he's still tethered down to a structure. It's an excellent balance.

As for my thoughts on YHF, check out neumu.com Monday for my review.
Old 04-26-02, 10:40 AM

As for my thoughts on YHF, check out neumu.com Monday for my review.
You mean we don't get an exclusive sneak preview?
Old 04-26-02, 10:58 AM

You mean we don't get an exclusive sneak preview?
I think you can probably wait until Monday. Three more sleepless nights won't push you over the edge. If you like I can post it in this thread, but I suspect that you really don't care (and why should you?).
Old 04-26-02, 11:05 AM

I think you summed it up pretty well. This is probably my favorite, too. Did they do it live at Las Vegas? They did in Atlanta last September, opened the show with it, and it was awesome!
Penny - It was the second song of the set in Vegas. I wished they would have opened with it though. I've got a few live shows on CD, and they open with it on one of them. I think it makes a great, powerful opener.

Yancey - The crowd in NY sounds like it was even worse than the crowd in Vegas, which was actually a pretty nice mix of indie kids, alt-country fans and the dreaded fratboy. I agree that Tweedy's obviously been listening to noise rock as of late. I think that may actually be turning some of their fratboy fanbase away from them. The refreshing thing to see is that Tweedy doesn't really care. Wilco does not behave like a major label band, and that's one of the things I love about them. I agree with your opinion of Kotche. He's one of the few drummers I've spent substantial portions of a show watching. The other that immediately comes to mind is Stanton Moore.

Badger - Hell, I try. Sounds like our tastes are probably pretty similar. Just wish I could locate some people in Vegas that share my tastes now...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.