Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Future State of the XBOX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future State of the XBOX?

I just recently bought an XBOX and I've been excited by the graphics of many of the games, almost to the point where I won't by any PS2 games unless the graphics are just as good as the XBOX graphics (which is tough to do). Gameplay of course is important and for some of the XBOX games it is excellent. My concern now is that I don't want to get so excited with my XBOX and find out with all the overseas trouble that the XBOX will go the way of the Dreamcast and disappear. I don't want to invest money on upcoming games to find out that it's going under next year. Without bashing, what do you think the future state of the XBOX is?
Old 04-23-02, 11:53 AM

Well, there have been a lot of threads on this topic, and you are going to get a lot of opinions...

But I would say this: Don't worry about it. The X-Box has some nice games coming out for it, a nice-looking online strategy, and a decent user base. In fact, the X-Box launch looks really nice compared to the PS2 launch (game-wise). (I experienced both launches...) Enjoy the progressive-scan/DD 5.1 games, and don't worry about what the future will bring.
Old 04-23-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you'll be fine, as long as there is a north american market for the Xbox, the games and support will be there.
Old 04-23-02, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No need to panic. This is pre-E3, when gaming companies are quiet and things tend to look glum. I'm sure that Microsoft has plenty up their sleeves to announce at the event. Should be some exciting things coming.
Old 04-23-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Future State of the XBOX?

Originally posted by RUN-DvdMC
I just recently bought an XBOX and I've been excited by the graphics of many of the games, almost to the point where I won't by any PS2 games unless the graphics are just as good as the XBOX graphics (which is tough to do). Gameplay of course is important and for some of the XBOX games it is excellent. My concern now is that I don't want to get so excited with my XBOX and find out with all the overseas trouble that the XBOX will go the way of the Dreamcast and disappear. I don't want to invest money on upcoming games to find out that it's going under next year. Without bashing, what do you think the future state of the XBOX is?
you have a ps2 and xbox so you will have a huge library of games. the xbox will be around. they might get less exclusives, but i do believe they will survive.

why worry right now.

I feel the best combo is PS2 and GC. however the xbox is a nice system. it will not disappear.
Old 04-23-02, 01:16 PM

I really doubt the XBox will be going away. With Microsoft producing it, they're not quiters. Microsoft will take a huge loss before they will admit defeat. I know this is totally off the subject but look at the browser wars from years ago, Netscape vs Explorer. Everyone thought Explorer would not be able to take over the Netscape market, now who has the most users. Microsoft is good at pushing their products.
Old 04-23-02, 01:32 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Cyberock
I know this is totally off the subject but look at the browser wars from years ago, Netscape vs Explorer. Everyone thought Explorer would not be able to take over the Netscape market, now who has the most users. Microsoft is good at pushing their products.
In the case of the browser wars, I wouldn't call it "pushing". It was more like raming it down peoples throats.

I wouldn't worry, XBOX will be around for quite some time. MS's deep pockets and marketing machine will ensure it.
Old 04-23-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys are the best, thanks for making me feel more at ease. It's just scary because I really liked the Dreamcast and was heartbroken when it folded and I didn't want to go through that heartache again. I love my games too much!
Old 04-23-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wanted to echo the sentiments of all the replies here so far. Don't worry about it. I also wanted to agree with the original post concerning having both the Xbox and PS2. I bought my PS2 a year ago and enjoyed it a lot. GT3, GTA3, MGS2, FFX - all very, very fun. I bought the Xbox 2 months ago, and ever since I started playing it, it's really hard to go back to the PS2 and its (by comparison) poor graphics and jaggies. I play Xbox games almost exclusively now.
Old 04-23-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am one of those who is seemingly in the minority here but I think that the X-Box, still has a long tough road ahead it.

There are reports of the X-Box struggling in Japan. That is one market that Microsoft needs a major foothold in if they really want to succeed in the long run. I do admit that the X-Box's specs are impressive. But that alone may not be enough to carry the console.

It seems to me that what Microsoft has done ( and I know it's been said countless times before) is build a game console that would appeal to PC gamers. A few of the launch titles have started their life as PC games originally ( Obi Wan, Halo and Project Gotham Racing). What they really lack now is that one killer title and/or franchise that you can only play on X-Box. Many of the games that you can get on X-Box are available on PS2 and Gamecube. I have no idea what they are cooking up for E3 but if they don't hurry and release that "I have to play this or my life won't be complete" game ( I'm using a hyperbole of course) then the X-Box might not be the revolutionary console Bill Gates claimed it would be.

Alot of people have said "Microsoft won't let themselves fail". That's really not up to them. If the marketplace won't support the console there's not a lot they can do.

Bottom line; X-Box may be a great machine, but you still can't drive a car without gas. It all comes down to the games.

Just my opinoin

Robb
Old 04-23-02, 02:24 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This issue has been discussed in detail in this thread:
What does the future hold?