Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are You Interested in Online Console Gaming?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are You Interested in Online Console Gaming?
Yes
43.94%
No
37.88%
Maybe
18.18%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-02, 09:19 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the next-gen systems likely going online in the next year, I thought it was a good time to pose this question.

Personally it doesn't really interest me. I can't afford broadband, and I imagine lag will still be a problem with dial-up, just as it was with the Dreamcast. Plus quitters and cheaters are major problems. Additionally, with the exception of sports games and fighters, I usually spend most of my gaming time playing single player genres like platformers and action RPGs. When playing multiplayer I want to be playing against my friends in the same room. It's just not the same playing with random people over the Internet IMO. It's basically just like playing a smarter computer opponet without the in room trash talking and what not.
Old 04-22-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
My biggest problem with broadband is that the TV where I play video games is nowhere near my cable modem. Do they really expect me to route ethernet cable up the stairs and through 3 rooms just so I can play online? That's nuts.

Maybe one of the next-next gen consoles will support 80211.b? Then I'd get excited about online gaming.
Old 04-22-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have broadband and I will be one of the first to do this. I can then play with my current friends from the comfort of my home, but I can make new friends also.
Old 04-22-02, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by joeblow69
My biggest problem with broadband is that the TV where I play video games is nowhere near my cable modem. Do they really expect me to route ethernet cable up the stairs and through 3 rooms just so I can play online? That's nuts.

Maybe one of the next-next gen consoles will support 80211.b? Then I'd get excited about online gaming.
I have heard that Linksys is working on just such an adapter that would plug into the ethernet port on the X-Box...
Old 04-22-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you know someone will come up with something. Not just for the xbox either. Since there are more PS2's sold you know they will make one for it also. I am not sure about the cubes online play, haven't heard about it yet, but I hope they drop the price at E3.
Old 04-22-02, 09:35 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

For me, Broadband is worth the cost for the internet browsing speed alone, so online PC and console gaming is just an extra.

Despite the massive lag, NFL2K1 was incredibly fun on the Dreamcast. I remember teaming up with my 2 roomates in college to kick the crap out of anyone online, not to mention the trash talking.

I'm drooling over the thought of a minimal lag, broadband only NFL Fever 2003 game. I can't wait to get 3 friends to come over and team up against other online opponents. UC and GR will be a blast. The PS2 Socom game also looks very entertaining.

Anyway, I am ready and waiting for the XBox and PS2 to go online.
Old 04-23-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joeblow69

You read my mind, I have this same problem. My cable modem is waaayyyyy over on the other side of the house from my TV. I was actually planning to buy a super long ethernet cable when FFXI comes out.....but I don't even know if they sell them that long or if it'll affect the bandwidth

I'm sorta interested in online games, I guess I'm a casual online gamer. The only online game I recently played was starcraft and I'll probably pick up warcraft 3. I guess to me it depends on the types of games, I like to play rpg's and adventure type games like mario and zelda, and I like the way those play offline. But there are some games that are cool for online play like starcraft. I guess I prefer playing online games on my PC for some reason, but who knows....
Old 04-23-02, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
not interested at all right now. I have broadband so that is no longer an issue for me.

Maybe a game that interests me will really get me interested. for now however i will not buy a game that i need to play online. It better be a great game without the online component for me to spend my money.
Old 04-23-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gcribbs, what about gran turismo 4?
Old 04-23-02, 07:37 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by s}{ammer
GT4 sounds great. The 2 year wait is not.
Old 04-23-02, 08:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I voted "Maybe." I enjoy online PC games, but I'm not too thrilled about online gaming with a console. I guess the kinds of console games I play aren't all that conductive to online play. Now, perhaps somebody will come out with something that makes me stand up and take notice, but for the time being I'll keep my online play on the PC.
Old 04-23-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I lost my broadband when we moved into a house, so no online gaming for me period.

I'm a little hesitant about online console gaming anyway. I basically just played FPS and Starcraft online when I had broadband, and to me a computer is just better suited for online gaming than a console.

I guess it depends on if I get broadband anytime soon.
Old 04-23-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by s}{ammer
not sure. I do like racing games. I have played those games in arcades against other people and it can be fun.

I hope I get a look at E3 to see what it looks like and how the online feature works. Maybe is all i can say for now.
Old 04-23-02, 01:44 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Right now my favorite PC based online game is Half Life - Team Fortress Classic. I have a PC in my dedicated HT which is where my xbox resides, so I already have my broadband connection where I need it.

I'm already playing Halo online. Can't wait for Unreal.
Old 04-23-02, 02:11 PM

I'm looking forward to everquest for the ps2. I never played it on PC, but I did play asheron's call on PC for some time. Great game. Plus I'm graduating from school soon, so it will enable me to find a job that will allow me to play online rpg's as much as possible.
Old 04-23-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never enjoyed anything less than online gaming. Its just not for me.
Old 04-23-02, 07:16 PM

let me just say HALO ONLINE. this is the most fun i have had ever playing an online fps. the lag is barely noticeable, most of the time there is none. plus there is nothing like playing on a 32 inch TV with surround sound, truly incredible, i will be looking forward to more online games.
Old 07-18-02, 10:57 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Online gaming is drawing nearer, so I thought it would be a good time to bump this up.

My stance hasn't changed, I still have no interest in online gaming, but I'll summarize it again anyway.

Mainly I'm not big on multiplayer games in the first place, prefering platformers, RPGs and other single player games.

When I do play multiplayer, and want to play with my friends in the same room not random internet people. And know playing with my friends on a team against other people over the internet doesn't interest me either.

In my experience with online gaming on the DC, the quality of people playing is similar to the quality of people posting on the boards at sites like Gamers.com, IGN and Gamespot. In otherwords 90% geeks and losers.

Lastly, cheaters and people that quit when losing ruin the experience for me.
Old 07-18-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if you guys remember or not, But I was on the Xband Network for the SNES. I was playing Super Mario Kart, MK2, Super Street Fighter 2, Doom, and lots of other games with players all over the usa via phone lines. Quite possibly the most addicting experience I ever had. So I say HELL YES I want online console gaming!
Old 07-18-02, 11:18 AM
Shawn

I have heard that Linksys is working on just such an adapter that would plug into the ethernet port on the X-Box...
Anyone have anymore info on that?
Old 07-18-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Lastly, cheaters and people that quit when losing ruin the experience for me.
yep I tried warcraft 3 once online to see what happened. the guy rushed some units at me then quit when I beat them

so in around 15 minutes I was playing a game against no one

sure I won but where was the fun in that.

I figure most people if they knew they were going to lose would just move on especially if the game still had some time left before you would be totally defeated.

I guess for some it can be great fun. I was impressed in the lack of lag time while playing however.
Old 07-18-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw

You read my mind, I have this same problem. My cable modem is waaayyyyy over on the other side of the house from my TV. I was actually planning to buy a super long ethernet cable when FFXI comes out.....but I don't even know if they sell them that long or if it'll affect the bandwidth
You might want to go check out the new PowerLine adapter from Linksys. It's not quite as good as wireless, but if you have an outlet near your xbox (which you should to be able to plug it in ), you can get an ethernet connection.
Old 07-18-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now the original Super Mario Kart is something I would definitely be interested in for online play. I've never lost to my friends, and I'd like to see how I match up against other top gamers.
Old 07-18-02, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Lampei

You might want to go check out the new PowerLine adapter from Linksys. It's not quite as good as wireless, but if you have an outlet near your xbox (which you should to be able to plug it in ), you can get an ethernet connection.
The cheapest solution for him is probably to buy a Linksys router and buy cable online (I think you can get 100' for like 15 bucks if you look around) and just run it to his game system.

Of course, the easiest way, but costly, is to get a wireless router and a bridge.
Old 07-18-02, 01:34 PM
Shawn

The way I'll probably do it, because I dont want to have to spend any more money, is just unhook my cable modem and take it downstairs whenever I want to play Xbox Live. I know it's gonna be a hassle, so it's not for everyone, but I don't have enough money to buy a router or anything. Plus, I'm just a casual gamer, so I won't be using it that much anyway.