Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Concert Etiquette

Old 04-22-02, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concert Etiquette

It seems like every time I go see a concert these days I'm next to the jag who insists on talking to his buddy the whole time? What is the deal with this? It can really ruin a show.

Why do you pay 20-40 bucks to see a band and then talk the whole time they play? Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Are you a concert talker?
Old 04-22-02, 12:38 PM
Suspended

The concerts I goto are way to loud to even hear anything but the band, let alone someone talking next to me so.
Old 04-22-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They only talk to ruin the tapers' bootlegs.

So, you might call them freedom-fighters or something. Fighting the scourge of bootlegging for the "man."

So, ok, neither would I.
Old 04-22-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Concert Etiquette

Originally posted by Danger1313
Are you a concert talker?
No, I'm not, and they bug the hell out of me actually. I've lived in Las Vegas for about 2 years, and the problem is even worse here as most concerts are populated by tourists who are on vacation and have been gambling and drinking all day. I went to see Wilco about a month ago, and the lead singer was so angry about the concert talkers that he stopped the show to yell at the crowd about it.
Old 04-22-02, 01:25 PM

This dude and his lady friend were right next to me and all they did was make inane comments through every song, even the quiet ones. I shot him a few looks and he started talking more. His comments were so stupid that I really couldn't tell if he was just a loud idiot or if he was doing it on purpose just to annoy me.

"Man, these songs they're playing are really obscure! I don't know why they're playing all these obscure songs!"

Because they're from the album that just came out, you dolt.

It seems no matter what concert I go to I manage to find these idiots. And I didn't want to give up my spot because the place was packed and from where I was I could actually see the stage.
Old 04-22-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
If you can hear people talking that loudly, then the house needs to turn up the sound. I'm getting sick of less than loud concerts. The outdoor venue here in Houston is the worst I have ever heard. If I sit on the lawn, I can have a normal volume conversation with someone. The concert is nothing more than background music. IT'S A ROCK CONCERT. It's supposed to be loud. If anyone has a problem with the volume, then they can bring earplugs, like I do to filter out some of the loudness. Besides, the venue could make a killing selling them.
Old 04-22-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most of the concerts I go to it would be impossible to have any kind of conversation while the music is playing, so never had much of a problem with it.

However, I went to see Tom Petty at Summerfest in Milwaukee last summer and Jackson Browne opened up for him. Now, I have been a Jackson Browne fan forever, since I was a little kid basically, and I was happy to find out after I bought the tickets I was not only getting Petty, but also Jackson in the mix.

So we arrive at the Marcus Amphitheater all pumped up and the place is still filling up when Jackson comes out on stage. He starts up and all this punk-a$$ teen behind me can do is put him down. Comments like "Man, who is this guy?" "This guy sucks." "Nobody wants to hear you, bring out Tom, man." kept flying from his mouth.

Finally I had enough and turned around to tell his kid, who couldn't have been older than 16 or 17 and was there with parents, to shut the hell up and have some respect for someone who has been touring and making music longer than he has even been alive. His parents told me I had no right to speak to him that way, but I told them that maybe if he wasn't ready to observe proper ettiquette at public performances, maybe they should go and take him to see Raffi or the Wiggles instead. That shut them up for a while.
Old 04-22-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the sad decline of public common courtesy you'll ever see. Of course, I'll take that over the pot smoking beer drinking people that sit next to me anyday. You ever try to clean yourself of pot smoke before going to work the next day? It ain't easy.
Old 04-23-02, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
ya'll are all wrong

What is at the top of the heap in concernt no no's???

DRUNK/HIGH MOTHERF#CKERS WHO TAKE OFF THEIR SHIRTS AND DRIP SWEAT FROM THEIR DIRTY LONG HAIR...THEN THEY SWING THEIR HAIR AND SPLASH YOU IN THE FACE!!!

THEN THEY WALK THROUGH THE CROWD AND RUB AGAINST YOU AND SQUEEGEE A LAYER OF THEIR SWEAT OFF ON YOUR SHIRT OR WORST YET....YOUR BARE ARM.

COMPARED TO THIS ALL OTHER TRANGRESSONS CAN BE OVERLOOKED....UNLESS OF COURSE SOME PUNK CAN'T HOLD HIS BEER/DRUGS AND VOMITS NEAR YOU THEN SLIPS IN IT LIKE A 2 YEAR OLD
Old 04-23-02, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo
ya'll are all wrong

What is at the top of the heap in concernt no no's???

DRUNK/HIGH MOTHERF#CKERS WHO TAKE OFF THEIR SHIRTS AND DRIP SWEAT FROM THEIR DIRTY LONG HAIR...THEN THEY SWING THEIR HAIR AND SPLASH YOU IN THE FACE!!!

THEN THEY WALK THROUGH THE CROWD AND RUB AGAINST YOU AND SQUEEGEE A LAYER OF THEIR SWEAT OFF ON YOUR SHIRT OR WORST YET....YOUR BARE ARM.

COMPARED TO THIS ALL OTHER TRANGRESSONS CAN BE OVERLOOKED....UNLESS OF COURSE SOME PUNK CAN'T HOLD HIS BEER/DRUGS AND VOMITS NEAR YOU THEN SLIPS IN IT LIKE A 2 YEAR OLD
Dude, I am so sorry. I'll be more careful next time.
Old 04-23-02, 08:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
While talkers definately annoy me, it's the tall late comers who come in and stand right in front of me, of course I move since I dont want to cause a scene but it just irks me when they know they can do this.