Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever go to a Jimmy Buffett concert?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-22-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is coming here to Orange County Oct. 3 & 5 and I was wondering if its worth the 30 dollar ticket price. I have a friend who has seen him multiple times in Ohio and swears its the greatest time. Anybody else?

I'm a fan in the 'greatest hits' sort of way. I enjoy the music but wouldn't consider myself a 'Parrothead'.

Here is some info from the local paper:
April 19, 2002

By BEN WENER
The Orange County Register

Parrotheads, your excuse to party like you still live in a frat house is on the way.

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band will return Oct. 3 and 5 to Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine, giving fans a reason to throw swap-meet-size parking-lot bashes the likes of which you've never dreamed. Tickets, $29.75-$67.75, go on sale at 10 a.m. Monday.

And if you just can't get enough Buffett, the Margaritaville mainstay also will headline Sept. 28 at Coors Amphitheatre in Chula Vista. Those tickets, $30-$75, go on sale at 10 a.m. Saturday.
Old 04-22-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've been three times and each time he put on a great show. It really is a party atmosphere. There's lots of tailgating going on. The music's great. He is quite the entertainer (and businessman, for that matter).

If you want to get a feel for the music part of the show, I believe he broadcasts all of his shows over the net at Margaritaville.com.

A word of advice, though: unless you want to pay through the roof for your ticket, you'd best buy them as soon as you can. His shows have a tendency to sell out rather quickly.

A good resource for all things Buffett is the Church of Buffett, Orthodox. I missed out on tickets one year, posted a message on their boards and, lo and behold, some guy e-mailed me the date when the venue was going to release more tickets.
Old 04-22-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't that the guy that lives on the beach... and sings about it... a lot?
Old 04-23-02, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a Buffett fan (should say that right off the bat). I was dating a girl 10 years ago who took me to one of his concerts at an outdoor shed. Horrible. Simply one of the worst concert experiences of my life. I was so bored of the music and the whole cheesy attitude that I just rolled back and fell asleep on our blanket (people were walking by and exclaiming how drunk I must be... actually, the exact opposite).

If you really love his music I would think you'd have fun. I just don't get for one second his music. "Cheeseburger in Paradise"?
Ick.

3 months ago I was vacationing in Maui and the guy in the condo next to us played Buffett's hits over and over and over and over
from his balcony for all to hear... all day long. After a full day of this I finally had to crank up my Bob Marley to counter a bit.
Old 04-23-02, 11:32 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Never been to a concert, but I did have a margarita at his bar in Key West.
Old 04-23-02, 05:08 PM

Depends on your level of discretionary income. I'm definitely not a "parrothead", even "greatest hits fan" is probably stretching it, but I guess I enjoyed the one concert I saw maybe eight years ago. He's a good showman, the music's fine. The audience is half the fun -- great people-watching, and they're definitely there to have fun. Of course, one person's "great people-watching" is another person's "cheesy," so take that with a grain of salt. Be prepared for lots of drunk 39-year-olds, which can either be fun or depressing.

If you're going to go with a bunch of people, it might be fun. I don't think it's an "essential" concert experience if you're worried that $30 is too much. If you're going by yourself, my guess is that if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't go.
Old 04-23-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by atlantamoi
I'm not a Buffett fan (should say that right off the bat). I was dating a girl 10 years ago who took me to one of his concerts at an outdoor shed. Horrible. Simply one of the worst concert experiences of my life. I was so bored of the music and the whole cheesy attitude that I just rolled back and fell asleep on our blanket (people were walking by and exclaiming how drunk I must be... actually, the exact opposite).

I'm also not a Buffett fan in the slightest. My experience was pretty close to this one, except that I didn't have the good sense to fall asleep. Instead, I sat there...half-incredulous and half-bored the entire time.
Old 04-24-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, thanks for the responses. I've got to get my wife to listen to a couple of his CDs before we decide to go. She is a country music fan, so I thought maybe Jimmy could satisfy her country music needs a little without driving me over the edge.
Old 04-24-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I toured his airplane a few years ago.

Old 04-24-02, 12:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by atlantamoi

If you really love his music I would think you'd have fun. I just don't get for one second his music. "Cheeseburger in Paradise"?
Ick.
Same here. Fortunately, I've never had the misfortune of getting drug to one of his concerts.
Old 04-24-02, 01:59 PM

I think it's a great time. The tailgating and people-watching is simply unmatched by any other act around (unless you've been to other concerts where people drive up next to you in a U-Haul, then bring out a full bar with generator, table and chairs, and rental DJ sound system along with 100 pounds of sand... I won't even go into the topless girls on trampolines in Camden, NJ last year.)

If you want to go this year, buy tickets the morning the show goes on sale. Only 2 of his shows for the year so far aren't completely sold out. As with other big draws (Dave Matthews, etc), the eBay hordes have decided to speculate on Buffett tickets.