DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

A Simple Plan?

Old 04-19-02, 10:06 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Simple Plan?

Is this movie worth a sight unseen purchase? I remember seeing it upon its release, and liking it, but I totally forgot about it. What I'm wondering is if the film is good, and has any re-watchability?

I like just about everything mr. Raimi's directed (even For Love of the Game and Quick and the Dead).

How is the DVD? Thanks!
Old 04-19-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been a while since I've seen it. But I really want to watch it again. I thought it was great and as well as I can remember, the DVD was had pretty good video/audio. I'd recommend buying it. I guess I'll have to buy it pretty soon.
Old 04-20-02, 12:29 PM

An excellent movie..

Just wondering, did this title recently go through a price-reduction?

I had always wanted to buy it, but couldn't find it for any less than Cdn$29.99, plus most places never seemed to have any in stock.

I was at my local Future Shop the other day and saw that they suddenly had a whole bunch of them, priced at Cdn$23.99!
Old 04-20-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes!!! It is definitely worth as an unseen purchase. This is a very good film, you will not be disappointed. I gave it 10/10. You have Billy Bob and Paxton being brothers what else can you ask for.

You can pick it up from CH as a fulfillment.
Old 04-21-02, 06:26 AM

I think it's an excellent story of a simple plan gone awry. And the snow covered landscape is gorgeous. No extras though.
I picked it up recently when Best Buy had it for $11.99.
Old 04-21-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i really enjoyed the movie...can't really say much about the DVDs though. I saw it at a friend's place a while back.
Old 04-22-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I REALLY like this film -- saw it theatrically, as well as twice so far on DVD. They did a wonderful job of translating Scott Smith's novel to screen. Definitely worth having.
Old 04-22-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's one of my 51 perfect 10s, so of course it's worth buying!!

Yeah, it's an extremely well made picture with phenomenal performances all around, especially IMHO the heartbreaking one by Billy Bob Thorton.

I got the DVD sight unseen (as are the majority of mine) about a year and a half ago through CH (one of my very first accounts - ah memories ), and I've watched it with different people about 5 times. (This is a ton of viewings for me - honestly... I can only name 4 or 5 films I've seen this many times - Fight Club, Bound, American Beauty, American History X, and... actually, that's probably it).

Definitely give it a go!
Old 04-23-02, 05:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I keep hoping they'll do an SE of this one so I keep holding off on buying it. I haven't even heard of a rumor of such a thing though
Old 04-23-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Overrated film. Essentially a retread of material that Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton had already done together a few years earlier in One False Move.

Not bad, though. Watchable. Worth a purchase if you're a Sam Raimi fan.
Old 04-23-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Overrated film. Essentially a retread of material that Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton had already done together a few years earlier in One False Move.

Not bad, though. Watchable. Worth a purchase if you're a Sam Raimi fan.
A found it much better done than One False Move, which was a good flick, but didn't have the emotional core found A Simple Plan.
Old 04-24-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
FWIW, Ebert gave it 4 stars. I haven't seen it though. Just picked it up yesterday and plan on watching it soon.
Old 04-24-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Geoff H
An excellent movie..

Just wondering, did this title recently go through a price-reduction?

I had always wanted to buy it, but couldn't find it for any less than Cdn$29.99, plus most places never seemed to have any in stock.

I was at my local Future Shop the other day and saw that they suddenly had a whole bunch of them, priced at Cdn$23.99!
Picked it up at BB yesterday for $14.99.
Old 04-24-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On a similar note, I've been waiting for the John Cusack movie "Money For Nothing" to get released. Anyone heard anything? Probably not as good as ASP though from what I'm reading.
Old 04-25-02, 09:46 PM

This was an awsome book. Do yourself a favor, if you liked the movie read the book. The book was much more exciting than the movie.
Old 04-26-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by JadeTiger
This was an awsome book. Do yourself a favor, if you liked the movie read the book. The book was much more exciting than the movie.
You really think so? I didn't see much difference between them. The book was obviously written with the express purpose of selling the movie rights.

In fact, if I remember correctly the movie rights were snatched up before the finished book was even published.
Old 04-26-02, 07:14 PM

Simple plan is a major piece of work which slipped by Joe
Six Pack but was one he'd've liked. I saw it in a totally empty
cinema (apart from me) which was like a private viewing.

Great movie and great performances, particularly from Bridget
Fonda and Billy Bob.
Old 04-27-02, 09:51 AM

To Josh Z

I do agree that the book and the film are both well done, and that the movie was very close to the book.

I was riveted by the book, I couldn't put it down.

I was excited to see the movie.
When I did see the movie I just about fell asleep through it.
It is hard to explain since the book and the movie were so close to one another. The body of work, I felt translated better to written word than to film. I guess the book had more action, excitement in my head than on film.
Old 04-27-02, 09:38 PM

I'm going to go against the popular view here.

I started reading the book just before the movie's release and found the book very tense and gripping .. so I stopped reading about half-way through so as not to spoil the movie for me by giving away any surprises. The movie was .. under-whelming. It just did not grip me in the same way as the book had .. even verging on the boring for me.

Billy Bob Thornton is as great as ever .. but Bill Paxton has never impressed me as an actor.

Sooo .. my view is .. if you can get it for $10 and you are someone who likes owning everything he sees, then buy it sight unseen .. otherwise, rent it first.
Old 04-28-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by John-In-VA
I think it's an excellent story of a simple plan gone awry. And the snow covered landscape is gorgeous. No extras though.
I picked it up recently when Best Buy had it for $11.99.
I picked up on sale at BB too! Excellent film.

If you want to see three back-to-back- to- back excellent "snow covered landscape" films, all made about the same time, watch Affliction and Fargo along with A simple Plan.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 04-28-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the movie!
Old 04-29-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a seriously depressing movie....my opinion. If you can deal with that part...you might like it. Great story, scenary, etc. Definatley worth a rental.

Interesting side note: The movie was filmed in Delano, MN where there was supposed to be snow and where I now live. Unfortunately there was no snow to speak of. All of the snow you see in the town scenes is fake. The scenes shown in the countryside needed to be filmed in western Wisconsin - which fortunatley had snow.