Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is that really 311?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is that really 311?

Old 04-19-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that really 311?

I just saw their video for "Amber". Great song, but just not what I would expect from them.

I haven't listed to them in a while. Have they changed their style, or is it just for this one song?
Old 04-19-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they've been puffing on the bong a little too much and have mellowed out.

I saw them about 5 years ago at the Austin Music Hall and they rocked the hell out of that place.

They're still making good music though, just some of it doesn't have that hard edge to it.
Old 04-19-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BigDave
They're still making good music though, just some of it doesn't have that hard edge to it.
I agree. However, it was that hard edge that I think made them one of the more unique bands out there at the time (93-95) and would have been what seperated them from everyone when the chips were down. To this day, grassroots is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

IT seems to me that they ahve forgotten where they came from.
Old 04-19-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you guys are 311 fans you should be listening to 24-7 Spyz. 311 is pretty much a direct copy of them.

I liked the first couple of albums by 311 like Music, Grassroots and 311. Transistor was a bis dissapointment and I haven't bought anything from them since. I will keep an eye out for this new song though, sounds interesting.
Old 04-24-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

311 have always had a softer side to them, from Music on... so i think this is just their natural progression... while Trasistor wasn't there best record, From Chaos is a rocking album that really kicks some major ass, check it out...

MATT

that's the thing that sets 311 apart, they can pull off both the hard hitting songs and the softer ones and do them both with great skill and omaha stylee
Old 04-24-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I personally think that song is among the worst attempts at reggae I've ever heard. Right up there with Shaggy.