Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Suggest some good PC games (XP compatible)

JaxComet
04-19-02, 10:03 AM
I just got a bought a new PC and need some game suggestions...

(Dell 8200 w/Pentium 4 processor at 1.8 GHz, 256MB RDRAM)

stingo
04-19-02, 10:24 AM
I know that Everquest: Scars of Velious is listed on the compatibility list for XP (I'm upgrading to XP myself), but have not seen Everquest:Shadows of Luclin - which has higher memory requirements (512 MB). Having played EQ for about 2-3 years, I still enjoy it. Only thing is is that the game is a real time hog.

Liver&Onions
04-19-02, 10:38 AM
I just picked up Diablo 2, and I love it. Not sure if it works with XP though.

Groucho
04-19-02, 10:41 AM
If you are a fan of strategy games, then definitely check out Civilization 3 and Heroes of Might and Magic IV. Both are top-notch entries in established series.

stingo
04-19-02, 10:48 AM
This link to Microsoft's website (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/catalogshell/shell.asp?page=1&subid=22) should take you to the compatibility listings - for whatever that's worth.

~~ PAL ~~
04-19-02, 11:25 AM
The vast majority of windows based games should be XP compatible; even a fair number of old DOS games are XP compatible. All games produced within the last 2-3 years should be XP compatible.

I second the Diablo II suggestion. It's a great game if that's the type of game you are interested. But it might be worthwhile to spend a few extra bucks to get the Lord of Destruction expansion pack as well. You get better graphics and 2 additional classes to play with. Plus, most people on Battle.net only play LOD games now instead of original D2 games.

PAL

Groucho
04-19-02, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
It's a great game if that's the type of game you are interested. But it might be worthwhile to spend a few extra bucks to get the Lord of Destruction expansion pack as well.

I second this. I believe the best deal can be found by buying the "Battle Chest" which includes both (plus the first game, I believe).

JaxComet
04-19-02, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
The vast majority of windows based games should be XP compatible; even a fair number of old DOS games are XP compatible. All games produced within the last 2-3 years should be XP compatible.

I second the Diablo II suggestion. It's a great game if that's the type of game you are interested. But it might be worthwhile to spend a few extra bucks to get the Lord of Destruction expansion pack as well. You get better graphics and 2 additional classes to play with. Plus, most people on Battle.net only play LOD games now instead of original D2 games.

PAL

I guess this answers my question. So as long as I stick to fairly recent games I should be okay XP wise.....

Absolute Zero
04-19-02, 01:13 PM
Freedom Force
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Thrillhouse
04-19-02, 01:31 PM
If your in to sports (baseball)- High Heat Baseball 2003
OtherwiseI highly reccomend Max Payne

JaxComet
04-19-02, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ReDsOx5048
If your in to sports (baseball)- High Heat Baseball 2003
OtherwiseI highly reccomend Max Payne

I really liked Max Payne. I have it on XBOX.........

Thrillhouse
04-19-02, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by JaxComet

I really liked Max Payne. I have it on XBOX.........

Yeah it is sooo great! The only difference between the XBOX and PC version is that the PC has a create a level program. Oh yeah, and that sometimes people will release there pre-made levels. I think I would have rather played it with a controller though :D.

CCPrescott
04-19-02, 08:14 PM
The aforementioned Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast are among my current favorites. I'd also recommend Command & Conquer Renegade and Star Trek Bridge Commander. Both are pretty fun and offer a good bit of eye candy special effects.

Enjoy the new computer.

Chris

Gamewizard
04-19-02, 08:23 PM
If you like strategy and rpg games try Warlords battlecry II, it's not the best game graphically, but it's still a fun game.

I also reviewed it at the website in my sig

Jackskeleton
04-19-02, 08:25 PM
Jedi Knight
or

HALF LIFE
(it has so many damn mod's it is well worth it)