Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Waters Plays Beirut [& compilation news]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Roger Waters Plays Beirut [& compilation news]

Old 04-18-02, 04:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rogers Waters Plays Beirut [& compilation news]

We've not had a Floyd-related thread for.... well .... days!

I read this today on Usenet:
Former PINK FLOYD songwriter ROGER WATERS played a show in BEIRUT last
night (April 17), despite the current tensions in Palestine bringing the threat of renewed conflict between Israel and Lebanon ever closer.

While this week has seen Beirut regularly buzzed by Israeli warplanes, an estimated 6000-strong crowd turned out to see Waters play the show *a rare incursion into Lebanon by a major western artist.

The concert * the first in the Middle East to use surround sound * gave an ecstatic crowd a comprehensive run through of Waters' greatest hits.

Opening with a medley from "The Wall" the set-list included material from "Animals", "Dark Side of the Moon", "The Final Cut", "Wish You Were Here", as well as songs from solo albums "Radio K.A.O.S.", "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking" and "Amused to Death".

However, the biggest cheer was reserved for "Perfect Sense Part 1"¹, and the lines: "The Jews killed the Arabs and the Arabs killed the hostages, and that is the news. Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?" With a reference to the current Israeli/Palestinian tension, the song was played out against a big-screen panorama featuring images of Nazareth.

Many assumed the Beirut stop-off would be scrapped because of current political instability. But, speaking at a press conference earlier in the year, Waters said cancelling was not an option: "The chances of me being run over by a car
are much bigger than getting killed in a bomb explosion," he said.
Noelle Baz of Buzz Productions, the company which managed the show at the Beirut International Exhibition and Leisure Centre, said: "They said that if commercial flights stopped, they wouldn't come. But until that happens it's OK."

Last year's summer music festival at Baalbek * Lebanon's equivalent of Glastonbury staged amid 3000-year old temples * drew a crowd of 9,000 for a performance by Sting.

Red Hot Chili Peppers pulled out of a planned show in the Middle East recently because of the tension in the region.
Then, on slipping over to his eponymous web-site, I found that there is an anthology out!
Columbia Records is releasing "Flickering Flame - The Solo Years, Volume 1," the first-ever overview of the solo musical career of rock legend and Pink Floyd founder Roger Waters. Personally supervised by Waters, "Flickering Flame - The Solo Years, Volume 1" has been assembled from the original master recordings by Pink Floyd/Roger Waters producer James Guthrie.
The selections for "Flickering Flame - The Solo Years, Volume 1" are culled from all of Water's solo albums -- "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" (1984), "Radio K.A.O.S. (1987), "Amused To Death" (1992), and "In The Flesh - Live" (2000) -- "Flickering Flame - The Solo Years, Volume 1" brings together for the first time: two hard-to-find Waters' rarities ("Towers of Faith" from the 1987 "When the Wind Blows" soundtrack and the never-before released demo for "Lost Boys Calling" from the 1999 film "The Legend of 1900" ) together with a cover version of Bob Dylan's classic "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and the original recording of a brand-new Roger Waters composition "Flickering Flame."
Clearly the second piece isn't quite breaking news but seems worth including here
Old 04-19-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
No one can acuse Roger of leading a "sheltered, pampered, or prima donna" lifestyle. Damn, I wonder how much the insurance bill came to for this event. I wouldn't even step foot in that country, let alone stage a concert. OTOH, I think that playing in Israel would be even more dangerous. All you need is one of those extremists to ruin it for everyone.

On a related note, for anyone that hasn't already picked up Roger's "In The Flesh" DVD, I highly recommend it. Great 5.1 D/D sound and anamorphic video. Costco currently has it on sale for $12.99!!! I picked up a few extras as stocking stuffers and 1 backup copy should mine crap out if it goes OOP (not likely, but I'm not taking any chances with this puppy).
Old 04-19-02, 03:55 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
I just hope he'll come to the US again sometime soon. I missed his last tour.