Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: PotA: The Evolution Set

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-17-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worth it?
Old 04-18-02, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Depends on the price you're getting it for. I got if for less than $7 so I'm pleased as punch.

The transfers are all non-anamorphic 2.35, but they are in very good shape, starting with damn_good for the first one and descending in quality to Battle ftpota which is still pretty good. The quality of the films themselves also runs the same way for most people, but the only one I agree on is the last one. It suffers from the Return of the Jedi syndrome of "let's just get this over with" feeling. I also feel that Escape and Conquest are very underrated films, and I enjoy them very much.

The Behind the pota disc is very nice, but there is an extended 2 disc version available separately from Image. The movie discs have no real extras beyond trailers, but the docu on the sixth disc is very good.

If you can get a deal, I grab it. There have been rumors of a 5 Star edition of the first one, which would presumably mean a 16x9 transfer and more extras, but who knows when that'll be out.
Old 04-18-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anamorphic re-releases of all the movies are rumored....
Old 04-18-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks milo and Jax. Yeah I read they were non-anamorphic but it doesn't really bother me much since I dont have a widescreen set and I (foolishly?) dont really think about the future.
Old 04-18-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thru a deal, i got mine for $45, which i thought was a great deal.
now it just seems luke-warm since the non-anamorphic transfers look a tad wanting on my current set-up and the 'exclusive' extra disc has been supplanted by a superior 2 disc stand alone version.

the films themselves are great and still unique in many respects (the downbeat , very un-hollywood endings) and for non-ana transfers, pretty nice.
if your not very forward looking the set is a great piece of pop film history