DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Criterions

Old 04-17-02, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterions

Any reviews of films, picture, video and extras on CRITERION DVDs, mainly seeing as Im interestid in them but arent sure whether to get these:

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Samurai 1, 2 & 3
Carnival of Souls
Hidden Fortress
Dead Ringers
Rashomon

Thanks for any input,

Also if you could reccomend any of their titles that may be on interest!!!
Old 04-17-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seven Samurai a perfect 10! This is a must in every DVD collection whether you like it or not. The story is about the poor farmers taking the law in their own hands, since the law does not protect them. Did you see a Bug's Life? The story is the same and they took it from Seven Samurai

Yojimbo same director as in Seven Samurai, Akira Kurosawa. This is not as good as the Seven Samurai, but it is still a great film about a man that helps the city innocent inhabitants to get the town back.

Sanjuro has been menitoned to be the sequel to Yojimbo I think this one is better than the first one, and he cleans up the corruption in the town.

Samurai 1, 2 & 3 is an excellent epic story about Musashi Miyamoto, the first episode is the best. But the second and third are still very good. These are great to watch!

Carnival of Souls good horror film with interesting end. Not a spectacular film, nevertheless a piece of film history.

Hidden Fortress the base to Star Wars. I loved this film it is funny, romatic, sad, and has action. You will not get dissapointed when you see it, and it is another Kurosawa film.

Dead Ringers freak story about a two twins and a woman. This is a very good film, and it will leave its marks in you after you turn off the TV and the DVD player. I would get this first, because it is OOP (out of print). (Edited: The info is from Criterion's site, and I have heard nothing of a second printing. It does not mean I am right. )

Rashomon just got released, and it is a criminal story set in the ancient Japan with a moral twist to it. I recommend this film highly, and if you like Kurosawa like I do it is a must as well as all his other films.

Grand Illusion this anti war film is definetly a good purchase about these soldiers trying to escape a war prision.

High and Low by Kurosawa is another must that is set in modern (60s) Japan. It is a kidnapping drama that beats Ransom and any of the new kidnapping films.

Picnic at Hanging Rock this has no relation to any of the previous films. It has been hated by many and loved by others. I belong to the second group. It is about a group of girls from a girl school that go on Picnic and where three girls disappear. This is a true horror film in the Romantic spirit, however, it is not Halloween, or Event Horizon.

Rebecca the best Hitchcock film. I love it, maybe you like it too.

The Shop on Main Street a Czechoslovakian film that made me cry and sob. Nevertheless, it is a wonderful story about a man who takes over a store from a Jews old woman during World War II.

Le Trou if you dig digging, no pun intended. Anyway, this is a very good French film about friendship and trust.

The Vanishing hope you are not claustrophobic, if then you would have some severe nightmares for a long time. Very good horror film.

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 04-17-02 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-17-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of these (so far, funds are an issue) I only own Seven Samurai and Dead Ringers. I would agree with DVD Smurf except to add that Dead Ringers is not OOP... It was hard to find for some time, but it is in it's second pressing and should be pretty easy to locate. Seven Samurai has much of nothing in the way of extras, but Dead Ringers has some pretty nice extras. Both have commentary tracks.

If we're recommending a Criterion, I'll offer up The Last Temptation of Christ. It's my favorite.
Old 04-17-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only have two of the ones you have listed, though I plan on eventually buying all of them. Of the two I have:

The Hidden Fortress - Sadly, not much in terms of extras. However, it's been written that the transfer is a revelation compared to any other print in existence. It's quite clean.

Dead Ringers - It's my understanding that the Criterion version of this is out of print. I believe it was in second printing when it went OOP, as a second print was needed to correct audio sync problems present in the first printing and was done some time ago and not recently. On it's 2002 titles listing that it includes with it's newest DVDs, Criterion actually lists it as OOP, along with Sid and Nancy, Robocop, etc. It's stil not too tough to find, though I would probably pick it up close to first. As to the transfer and extras, the transfer is first rate (I have the second printing) and the extras are rather extensive and among other things include production design features, a documentary and a very nice commentary by director David Cronenberg, star Jeremy Irons and 3 other production people.
Old 04-17-02, 02:45 PM

be prepared for less than reference quality video/audio on all these titles on your list. Only two are solid in the audio/video department: The Hidden Fortress and Carnival of Souls. Dead Ringers has about the worst audio track imaginable and is the only Criterion, I am aware of, that has a been given an F for audio quality in several dvd reviews. Yojimbo and Sanjuro aren't even offered in their proper OAR. Maybe rent these through Netflix first. Even the recently released Rashomon has a fairly poor audio track. It is great to have these films available but they are certainly an acquired taste. I would go here and do some reading:

http://www.dvdmg.com/criterion.shtml

This is a great place to start and their audio/video technical grades are to be trusted.

www.criterionondvd.com was a great place but they are having problems.
Old 04-17-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I stand corrected... Dead Ringers does appear to be OOP judging from the Criterion webpage... You can still find it pretty easily though. On the audio tip, I found the sound for Dead Ringers to be decent enough... Nothing to get excited about but I certainly wouldn't call it an F.
Old 04-18-02, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the info on these titles any others mentioned...I'll definitely be getting some of these titles in the near future hopefully!!!!!
Old 05-03-02, 11:18 AM

As a lay viewer, who happens to own several of the discs you were inquiring about, I would make the following recommedations:

Seven Samurai is one of my all-time favorite flicks, and is highly recommended as an introduction to Kurosawa. It's a very long picture, and in black and white, so you need take that in to consideration. Picture and sound on all of these older films is not going to give a 5.1 system a work-out, but these films more than make up for it in style and content.

I would order the other Kurosawa films on your list in this order Hidden Fortress, Sanjuro, Yojimbo for viewing enjoyment, although you want to watch Yojimbo before Sanjuro.

Inegaki's Samurai Trilogy is very different from the Kurosawa films, but still very enjoyable. They make excellent use of Technicolor, and the Criterion transfers are much better than some of the imports.

Cronenberg's was Dead Ringers a disappointment to me (I bought it because I found it cheap when it went out of print). Picture and sound are poor, and the movie itself doesn't work well for me.
Old 05-03-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMO, "Seven Samurai" and "Rashomon" are the best films and DVD editions on your list.