Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pet Shop Boys 'In Love' With Gay Eminem Character

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-16-02, 08:37 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 104 Likes on 93 Posts

from mtv.com

Eminem is portrayed as a homosexual in a new song by the Pet Shop Boys.

"The Night I Fell in Love," from the synth-pop duo's Release, due April 23, tells the story of a homosexual boy who falls in love with a rap star backstage at his concert and follows him to a hotel room for a "private performance."

The slow-grooving song does not reference Eminem or his Slim Shady or Marshall Mathers monikers, but the lyrics clearly spell out the star's identity.

"I said we could be secret lovers/ Just him and me," Pet Shop Boys' Neil Tennant sings on the tune. "Then he joked/ Hey man, your name isn't Stan, is it?/ We should be together." A later verse says, "I asked why have I heard so much about you being charged with homophobia and stuff, and he just shrugged."

Tennant, who is homosexual, said in a statement that if Eminem's music is going to be provocative, he is going to be provocative back.

"Eminem's defense of the homophobic lyrics on his albums has always been that he's not speaking as himself, he's speaking as a character, and he's representing homophobia in America," Tennant explained. "I thought it would be quite interesting to take that method and just to imagine a scene where a boy meets a famous rap star backstage at his concert and is surprised to discover he's gay and ends up sleeping with him. Just to present rap in this homosexual context. I mean, there obviously are gay rap stars."

Eminem was not available for comment, but MTV News played "The Night I Fell in Love" for his mentor and producer, Dr. Dre, who is referenced in a line from the song: "We joked about Dre and his homies."

"We needed another song anyway," Dre joked. "They just gave us a concept. Oh my God. I hope they can stand the backlash. That's funny as hell."

Although it is possible The Eminem Show, due June 4 (see "The Doc's Diagnosis: Eminem Still Crazy"), will have a retaliatory track from the rapper — he's gone after everyone from Britney Spears to Limp Bizkit in the past — Tennant was not intending to start a war of words. "I like Eminem's records," he said. "I think he's brilliant."

Release is the eighth studio album from the Pet Shop Boys, who are perhaps best known for their first single, 1985's "West End Girls." The duo's new record, which features former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr on several tracks, strays a bit from their signature style.

"The sounds we've used aren't really dance sounds," Pet Shop Boys' Chris Lowe said. "We found that the songs that we liked the most that we'd written weren't really dancey, and, having made that decision not to take dance elements, it was very liberating in terms of songwriting. It gave us a lot more freedom to experiment."

The Pet Shop Boys will kick off a tour in support of Release on May 14 in Miami.
Old 04-16-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet I hate Eminem, but lyrical wars are always cool.
Old 04-16-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
Sweet I hate Eminem, but lyrical wars are always cool.
Eminem will eat him alive!
Old 04-16-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, fair's fair.

If Eminem is going to play that whole "it's just a character I created" thing to its conclusion, then he can't justifiably get angry when someone uses his own methods to parody his tired rap.

If he can't take the heat, then he's got no business doling it out.

*kiss, kiss* Mr. Slimshady.
Old 04-18-02, 09:30 AM

Positively brilliant. I can't wait for the official Eminem reaction.

If it's anything but acceptance (if you can't stand the heat...) then he loses all respect.

- Matt