Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Korean movie, Chingoo (Friend)

thunnus
04-16-02, 07:30 PM
I'm surprised there isn't much buzz over this movie. I just watched the HK DVD release and was absolutely floored by it. It's a great movie by any standards and I think it should have been the flick to introduce US audiences to modern Korean cinema, not Shiri.

Just wanted to see if there are any other big fans of this movie.

dyerjp
04-16-02, 07:38 PM
I FRIGGIN" LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gopeglegs!
04-16-02, 10:04 PM
It's now the best selling Korean movie of all times.

I dunno how much the mainstream U.S. audience will like it, but there sure quite isn't like a movie like it. I can only imagine how it's like for people who actually grew up at the same time.

J-Dubya
04-16-02, 11:52 PM
It's on my want list. My Malata is on the way!

Obsidian
04-17-02, 03:48 AM
You won't need a Malata to watch it as it's codefree.

But I also love the movie. I bought it for my Korean GF in the first place, but I instantly became addicted to it. Great actors, great story, great style.

eugkim
04-17-02, 06:45 AM
I saw this at a store here in chinatown.

Could someone tell me what this movie is about?

Also, is it worthwhile to buy the HK version, or is there a Korean version available.

Thanks in advance.

dleedlee
04-17-02, 08:38 AM
I think the Korean release is coming out soon. Maybe end of this
month, maybe May? It keeps getting pushed back. That's why I've held off on seeing it so far.

thunnus
04-17-02, 09:46 AM
Could someone tell me what this movie is about?

The synopsis on the back of the HK DVD reads, "Despite their different family backgrounds, four friends grew up together in the wearisome years of the 70's. But as time goes by, each of them takes a different path life path. After enrolling in college, Sang-taek and Joong-ho return to visit Dong-su (Jang Dong-gun) and Joon-suk (Yoo Oh-sung), only to find one of them in jail and the other on drugs. Slowly life takes difficult turns where friends become rivals in the crime world..."

You can also read a little background info about the movie here:
http://www.koreanfilm.org/kfilm01.html

J-Dubya
04-17-02, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Obsidian
You won't need a Malata to watch it as it's codefree.

Oops! Thank you for the correction but I will need it to watch some of the other 5 or 6 movies I plan to order from Korea and my cdjapan order!:D

Civic2oo1
04-17-02, 02:16 PM
I'm waiting for the R3 release of this movie. I'm still a little hesitant to pick up HK versions of these movies.

Player1327
04-17-02, 08:17 PM
i've got the hk dvd of FRIEND. I thought it was a pretty good dvd. the picture is anamorphic and sound is dd5.1

young
04-17-02, 08:36 PM
i, too, am waiting for a korean release... hopefully a special edition. i'm starting to really dig some of these movies! :D

i've got a ton of hk movies but 1/2 are crappy... quality wise that is. so, i'm starting to avoid them too.

now, the Foul King korean special edition came w/ a shower cap... that's special edition right there! :D jk

roseart
04-18-02, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Player1327
i've got the hk dvd of FRIEND. I thought it was a pretty good dvd. the picture is anamorphic and sound is dd5.1

I too got the HK release, and watched it yesterday. Man, like others said the cinematography is beautiful. I really enjoyed this film. Another Korean gem to add to my collection.

One thing I noticed on this DVD in some scenes, was a little white at the top and bottom of the picture. What is this called, and is this a bad trasfer, or something with the print itself?

Sildenafil
04-18-02, 03:28 PM
Who has the best price for this DVD?
Also, is HK release ok for viewing or should I wait for a different version? I have never bought Korean DVDs. So, I am not too sure of their quality. I have few HK DVDs with terrbile quality.
Thanks.

roseart
04-18-02, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Sildenafil
Who has the best price for this DVD?
Also, is HK release ok for viewing or should I wait for a different version? I have never bought Korean DVDs. So, I am not too sure of their quality. I have few HK DVDs with terrbile quality.
Thanks.

I thought the picture and sound were great. It's anamorphic and DD 5.1... DDDHouse has it for $10 or HKFlix (US based) has it for $17.95...

This disc was treated right...

thunnus
04-18-02, 07:17 PM
I know that Chang Dong Gun is the most popular actor of the four leads in Chingoo, but who else thought the cover graphic of the DVD and the theatrical trailer were unnecessarily misleading?

Civic2oo1
04-19-02, 12:08 AM
If you're not fluent in Korean, then the HK versions might suit you better. Also many of the superior Korean releases are R3 whereas most of the HK versions are R0.

Kevin8284
04-21-02, 03:13 AM
Is the Friend HK DVD all-region?

Hendrik
04-21-02, 06:02 AM
" Is the Friend HK DVD all-region? "

...ahh... see Obsidian's post, above...

. . . :o . . .

Kevin8284
04-21-02, 02:48 PM
Sorry Sorry, I was reading at midnight, so I must've just missed that post.