Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Just saw The D!!!

Old 04-15-02, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw The D!!!

I just back from seeing Tenacious D live in Davenport, IA. All I have to say is that it was the sickest, craziest, funniest concert I have ever seen. I've been waiting forever to see these guys live and the wait was well worth it. There were probably only 1,000 people or less that attended to the 2+ hour show that Tenacious D performed. Jack Black is friggin hilarious. I thought he was really funny in the movies he plays in, but his concert blows them away. They played all their songs from their cd, a bunch of their other songs, System of a Down (Chop Suey), Bryan Adams (Summer of '69) and some Slipknot (probably because it's Iowa). I got to be right up front hanging on to the security railing. I highly recommend the D to everyone. Hope they come back.

LONG LIVE THE D!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Check out the review of their show on www.launch.com. Basically they trash them for being gimmicky and merely a stand-up act with guitars. Pretty funny. I never liked this band and now I really don't.
Old 04-16-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
Check out the review of their show on www.launch.com. Basically they trash them for being gimmicky and merely a stand-up act with guitars. Pretty funny. I never liked this band and now I really don't.

That's because that's what they are, what were you expecting. The CD far exceeds any fans expectations anyway.

I get to see them later this month, I can't wait hehe.
Old 04-16-02, 03:17 PM

i'm goin to see them on friday. i've waited sooo long.
Old 04-16-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm anxiously awaiting seeing them come May as well, after missing out on their show at the Aragon.. D@M Scalpers..
Old 04-17-02, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feel free to ignore that review. Anyone who enjoys the D will enjoy their concert. That reviewer just wants to criticize them because their popular. Their act is still the same. It's complete satire, underscored by incredible talent. For two guys to put so much energy into an acoustic guitar show is amazing. And if you're going to the show, don't read the review. It gives away a few of the more unique parts of their act. Some of their "bits" are hysterical, and it's better for them to be a surprise.

das
Old 04-17-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was very surprised at the quality of the music on the cd. The only instance prior to the release of their album that I had heard them was from a couple funny MP3s I found on the net. I had no idea that they had a show way back when. I did see them in biodome though hehe.

Anyway, the quality of the music far exceeded my expectations. They are decent musicians in their own right too, not to mention hilarious. I just got my tickets last night, I can't wait! I'm in utah so I doubt a lot of people will be there, it's gonna kick ass!
Old 04-17-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by uncle_morgan
i'm goin to see them on friday. i've waited sooo long.
Bricktown Coca-Cola building in OKC? Me too! Looking forward to it--haven't been to a concert in a long while.

See you there, with my DVD Talk nametag, DVD Talk t-shirt, and my DVD Talk hat on. . .
Old 04-18-02, 08:57 PM

I went to the Show at the Aragon. Great show. The movies they used during the show were hilarious. Not to rain on anything but they did the Bryan Adams and System of a Down cover at this show also. I don't remember any SlipKnot. Friggin hilarious though.
Old 04-18-02, 11:33 PM

I saw them last nite too. It was a great show, Jack poked fun at a few people, however the majority of the people at the Houston show were so stupid. I don't even know why Houston was on this tour. The Austin show was so much better, especially the crowd. Tenacious D prefers Daustin anyways.