Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Coming to US - best stores to buy DVDs?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-02, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming (from Australia) to the US and Canada next week for a 4 1/2 week holiday. Major cities that I'll be staying in include Anaheim, Washington DC, New York, Boston, San Francisco, Calgary and Vancouver.

Can anyone tell me what the best (ie cheapest, biggest range, etc.) store/s to buy DVDs are? (I've got a multi-region player, so the region coding isn't a problem.)

Also, do the price tags on items in stores generally include the amount of state tax, or is state tax imposed on top of the ticketed price?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-02, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recommend looking at Best Buy's or Circuit City's when you visit, they have a good selection (depending on store) and thier prices arent too expensive.

Sales tax is your worry, my friend. Its added onto the ticketed price when you check out.

As for Canada, never been there.
Old 04-16-02, 03:18 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
living in Vancouver, here's the stores to visit:
A&B Sound ( www.absound.com ) for locations. They are known for good prices as well as their competitor Futureshop ( www.futureshop.ca )
For selection, probably CNL ( www.cnl.com ) although price is higher than the above two.
From comparing prices, prices are almost always cheaper in Canada than the US however in Vancouver, we have a 14.5% sales tax while Calgary only has 7%. Since you're a visitor you can get a rebate on the GST which is 7% therefore making Calgary the better place to shop. Calgary also has Futureshop and A&B Sound locations so I suggest those two places to stock up on dvds.
If you're looking for the rare/hard to find, CNL in Vancouver