Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

No Doubt live in Buffalo 4/12

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

didn't have time to post this last night
No Doubt was awesome
we were sitting kind of far back but had a great view since where we were in the bleachers gave us a direct view without any people at the same level as us
When they did Don't Speak Gwen had the crowd sing the opening lyrics. They made a good selections of what I feel are teh best songs from their 3 biggest albums (tragic kingdom, return of saturn, and rock steady)
Old 04-13-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought you'd enjoy this story:

Back in '92 when I was obsessed with No Doubt's first album and spun "Trapped in a Box" on my radio show and named it song of the year, no one on the east coast knew who they were. I was a freshman in college in Baltimore and someone knew I liked them and told me they were playing at a tiny bar called Max's on Broadway. I couldn't get anyone to go with me even tho it was only $2 to get in so I went alone. Being that I was 17 I couldn't get in so I set dejected on the curb when the band disembarked from their tour van. I was like "holy crap! I'm here to see you guys and they won't let me in!" The band were super-psyched that someone was so psyched to see them and they got me in with them. I chilled with them in the "backstage" dressing room and then they did the show.

I was the ONLY person there.

It's not clear if there was literally not one other ND fan in all of Baltimore (the band, whose tour then was sponsored by Thrasher boarding magazine, tried to get some local skate punks from outside the bar to come in for free but to no avail) or if it was the Fugazi show across town the same night. There were a couple people at the bar in the other room who were probably annoyed that a band was playing at all and there was one other guy watching the show who I later found out was the roadie. Still, they did their entire set with full energy. It remains one of the weirdest and most fun musical experiences I've ever had. I chilled with them afterwards and they actually sent me postcards from the road for a while.

Years later after they broke big they did an AOL chat and I got a question in which was basically "Do you remember me?" They were like "Hell yeah! If you come to the show come backstage!" but they were opening for Bush and I wasn't so psyched anymore. I haven't been a big fan since but I've always been impressed that they played their hearts out at that show even though it was for a crowd of one. Whatever I think of their music nowadays, that makes them stand-up folk in my book.
Old 04-14-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
their music has changed, but I like all 5 of their cd's (No Doubt, Beacon St Collection, Tragic Kingdom, Return OfS aturn, and Rock Steady)
it was well worth it to go, and since it was at my college I was able to get a student ticket for $5
Old 04-16-02, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics from Buffalo

thought you might be interested in some pics from the Buffalo show. found the link online..

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/carolyn/

I assume the push-ups were prior to Just A Girl. When did Gwen climb up the girders?

from a few online reviews, sounds like the Buffalo show was amazing..
Old 04-17-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: pics from Buffalo

Big thank you

the pushups were about halfway through the show
she climbed the girders towards the end
I might try to email that person, they have a typo on their page, it should say Amherst, not Aherst

Originally posted by 24fan
thought you might be interested in some pics from the Buffalo show. found the link online..

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/carolyn/

I assume the push-ups were prior to Just A Girl. When did Gwen climb up the girders?

from a few online reviews, sounds like the Buffalo show was amazing..