Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the pink floyd gh cd echos worth it?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-12-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in other words, are there many "radio hits" missing, and if so can you tell me which album they are on since i am a newbie to them.
Old 04-12-02, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's very good, It doesn't have "Mother" which I think is a very good song. It also doesnt have "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse" which are on Dark Side of the Moon. I don't really know if these are radio songs. It was Money, and Wish You Were Here, and Another Brick in the Wall, and Comfortably Numb...etc. Those were just some songs I think they should have put on it.
Old 04-12-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is "dark side of the moon" also a song title or is it the name of the album, since i here that one every once in a while but could not find it on the cd.
Old 04-12-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Is "dark side of the moon" also a song title or is it the name of the album, since i here that one every once in a while but could not find it on the cd.
It's not a song, but the phrase "dark side of the moon" is found twice in the lyrics to "Brain Damage," the next-to-last song on the DSotM album.
Old 04-12-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No.

PF are not a "greatest hits" or "singles" band. Their music is optimally listened to as a complete album/LP experience because they were not the type of band to simply wander into the studio every once in a while and then take their collected material and slap it together into an LP.

'Echoes' is serviceable at best, I have heard it several times in its entirety and it does not convey PF at their best and in the best way. You would do much better to simply purchase one or more of their classic albums outright. You especially cannot go wrong with Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall for your first purchase. It's a very strong possibility you will digest one of these albums for a while, then become a big fan and get more.
Old 04-12-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
No.

PF are not a "greatest hits" or "singles" band. Their music is optimally listened to as a complete album/LP experience because they were not the type of band to simply wander into the studio every once in a while and then take their collected material and slap it together into an LP.

'Echoes' is serviceable at best, I have heard it several times in its entirety and it does not convey PF at their best and in the best way. You would do much better to simply purchase one or more of their classic albums outright. You especially cannot go wrong with Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall for your first purchase. It's a very strong possibility you will digest one of these albums for a while, then become a big fan and get more.

This is very true. You would be better off buying a few of the full albums. Prepare to be amazed. Check out Meddle, and the FULL version of Echoes and you will see why many consider them to be the greatest rock band in history. I do hehe. I'd say go with Dark side of the moon, then the Wall, Wish you were here, animals, meddle. Hell, just get them all! heh.
Old 04-12-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Echoes is the perfect start. Also, Division Bell is another great CD.
Old 04-12-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Yes.

i've waited years to have a GH from them because all I wanted were the radio hits. Besides "welcome to machine" I think they're all here.

imo, they couldve cut out even more and made a cheaper 1-disc version
Old 04-13-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to agree that PF isn't a "Greatest Hits" band. If you're listening to just the greatest hits, you're really not understanding the music.

I think Echos could be a decent introduction to Floyd, but I think "Dark Side of the Moon" or "The Wall" would be a much better purchase. Most of their albums are conceptual anyway, and meant to be listened to as whole, not as individual parts.

Before someone assumes I'm biased against greatest hits cds, let me assure you I'm not. I have many in my collection, if for the only reason is that I only have to carry one CD around to get 75% of the songs I want to hear by that artist. Many artists have only one or two really good songs on their CDs. A few artists have CDs that have several good songs on them. It's the rare few artists, like PF, whose albums are devoid of filler.
Old 04-13-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
I'm quite partial to "Piper at the Gates of Dawn," myself.

I also agree with other that "Echos" didn't really work that well. There seemed to be some questionable inclusions and exclusions. I think it probably would've worked better as an anthology-type of thing, with their strongest/most commercial/most played/best known material in chronological order. Sort of like Rush's "Chronicles." It would've made a good sampler for the new Floyd listener, as well as a one-stop disc for all of their best-known songs. As it stands, "Echos," is really sort of a jumbled mess.
Old 04-13-02, 01:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am a newbie to them.
In addition to what has already been posted in this thread, see also: pink link
Old 04-15-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No.

Exactly. Floyd is not a hits band, they were the very definition of album oriented rock.

I would recommend buying Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals, Wish You Were Here and The Wall. After that, you may want to consider the work with Syd Barrett or The Final Cut. I'm not much on the new Floyd (I call it the David Gilmour Band) myself but some of it is pretty decent... IMHO, Floyd died when Waters left.
Old 04-15-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I say, unless you are already familiar with Pink Floyd's music, avoid the greatest hits set. I have alot of Floyd CDs and my roommate decided to pick it up so he could have a bunch of the stuff all on one CD for the car. I copied it from him and it's decent but having a horribly cut down version of "Echoes" is horrible. That song in its entirety is AMAZING.
Old 04-15-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have replaced the following tracks:

"Bike"
"Jugband Blues"
"Marooned"
"The Great Gig In The Sky"
"Sorrow"

with the following tracks:

"Dogs"
"Fearless"
"Mother"
"Have A Cigar"
"Welcome To The Machine"

Also, why no tracks from the brilliant soundtrack albums "More" and "Obscured By Clouds"?? Always overlooked... sigh.

"Childhood's End"
"Cymbaline"
"Green Is The Colour"
"Free Four"

All classics...

-matt
Old 04-15-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
i think echoes is a decent cd for those who have only listened to the waters' era floyd's "big" albums(dark side, wall, wish you were here) . It gives you enough of those songs to be satisfied and gives you a little bit of everything else so you can see whether you'd be interested in the rest. BTW who's going to see roger in ireland in june(i am)? Who's jealous (you are)?
Old 04-16-02, 08:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I will probably be reiterizing what past people have said, but if you have all of the albums there is no point of purchasing this GH, the only previousily unavailable song is the one from the "The Wall" motion picture soundtrack.
Old 04-16-02, 01:05 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I completely agree that complete albums are the only way to experience PF. The sound quality on this package is fantastic, however.
Old 04-17-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No.

I would also consider Animals and Meddle (with the unbutchered Echoes)
Old 05-14-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

since i was not a big fan, i decided to buy the gh collection. man this is the wierdest and best music ive ever heard. Very soon, i will be buying[list=1][*]meddel[*]dark side of the moon[*]wish you were here
and[*]the wall[/list=1]

also, the audio quality i have a question about. The back says that they were all digitaly remastered in 2001. What is the difference between these remasterings, and the remasterings on the full albums.
Old 05-14-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

since i was not a big fan, i decided to buy the gh collection. man this is the wierdest and best music ive ever heard.
Once you start listening to the full CDs, I think you'll appreciate them even more. Your list of albums to buy is top-notch.
Old 05-15-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

since i was not a big fan, i decided to buy the gh collection. man this is the wierdest and best music ive ever heard. Very soon, i will be buying[list=1][*]meddel[*]dark side of the moon[*]wish you were here
and[*]the wall[/list=1]
Told you it was good for not much more than the used bin, and that you would move on to the work in its proper format and context (full albums). I suppose if you had the $$$ to burn it wasn't a waste.
Old 05-15-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

since i was not a big fan, i decided to buy the gh collection. man this is the wierdest and best music ive ever heard.

also, the audio quality i have a question about. The back says that they were all digitaly remastered in 2001. What is the difference between these remasterings, and the remasterings on the full albums.
We need to get you out more... Turn off the FM dial. If Pink Floyd is your idea of weird (very tame by my standards), well... You have A LOT left to experience...

As for the re-masterings... Floyd has been re-mastered more than any band I can think of... Re-masters, re-masters again, 24k gold re-masters, super-duper this and that mix... The sound quality on any of the re-masters is fine... Since you're new to Floyd, more than likely any disc you buy off the rack is the most recent version of the re-masters and will sound very, very good. Should be the same as the greatest hits thingie...
Old 05-16-02, 02:02 AM
Banned

PF are not a Greatest Hits kind of band. This cd is an insult.
Old 05-16-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Snake Plissken
PF are not a Greatest Hits kind of band. This cd is an insult.
If that's the case, they most definitely insulted...themselves.