Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

$78 + Ticketmaster fees for Pavillion OzzFest seats???

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-12-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh give me a break.

Sure the lawn seats are still only $34 - but COME ON.

I realize Sharon needs to pimp out Ozzy before he completely loses all functionality in his limbs. But that's virtually highway robbery for a summer outdoor ticket price.

Something tells me my heavy concert going days are behind me.

$250 for McCartney. $200 for Madonna. And now, nearly a hundred for Ozzy.

And the music industry wonders why they have trouble with music piracy. Um, guys, after seeing these shows, no one has any dough left over for albums.

Just FYI.
Old 04-12-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I agree. That's why I mostly go to club or small venue shows now. There are some great bands that will be on tour this year that you can see for $20 or less and not have to sit a mile away:

Peter Murphy
King's X
They Might Be Giants
Rollins Band
Old 04-12-02, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im having to spend $85 after all the bulltish Ticketmaster taxes for the Coachella concert.
It was only $50 a couple years ago
Old 04-12-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's even worse living in Vegas. For some reason when big bands come here, they play small venues (despite the presence of several big venues in the city). Imagine how much you pay for the "privilege" of seeing Ozzy (or the Stones or the Who or Dylan or even Oasis for that matter) in a place that only holds 1200 people. I believe that the Who is charging about $500 per ticket for their Vegas appearance. Luckily, most of the bands I like play smaller venues anyway...
Old 04-12-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least they have some decent acts this year. Last year was a steaming pile of absolute crap. Even Manson was boring. At least Sabbath rocked the house at the end. That's an insane price for OzzFest, though.

das
Old 04-12-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure the lawn seats are still only $34

$34 bucks to sit in the sun for hours and hours. No thanks.
Old 04-12-02, 01:54 PM
Moderator Emeritus

If Lollapalooza hadn't gone on hiatus, it would probably be over $100 by now.

How many bands do you see for $78? 10? Doesn't sound that bad.
Old 04-12-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but most of the band only play for 30-45 minutes. And Ozzy only does an hour. If every band gave a full headline-length set, then 78 bucks would be worth it. You can always go to the Vans Warped tour, which is about 1/3 of the price.
Old 04-12-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts
I paid $80 for Ozzfest tix several years ago. That was to get the pit seats. After that day, I vowed never to spend that much on a concert ever again. It's just not worth it.
Old 04-12-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey, the pit is $133 and change
Old 04-16-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man that seems pricey... Esp since I just got tix a month or so ago to a concert upcoming in Chicago where there are like 8 bands....

including
Zwan (Billy Corgan's new band)
Tenascios D
Kid Rock
HoobaStink
X ecutioners
etc..

For good seats like 15th row it was only 38 and some change from ticketmaster.. and yeah it was an outdoor place, the lawn were like 20 something..

Yeah the lineup isn't stellar, but I'm only realy going for Zwan and maybe d

Wouldn't mind catching System of a Down though... That would ROCK.
Old 04-18-02, 10:49 AM
Retired

Yep ticket prices are ridiculous. I was debating on going to this in Pittsburgh, but the high ticket prices, short sets, and Cornell/Rage dropping out changed my mind.

I just got tickets to both nights of DMB in Pittsburgh. Still high though $110 total for pavillion seats after Ticketmaster charges.
Old 04-18-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
Just say screw it and quit going to the big live shows. That's what I did. I haven't been to a "big" concert in over ten years. Ozzy was actually one of my last ones about nine-ten years ago. It was right before he was going to retire.

Jeezus. These prices have gotten out of hand. I'd go to see bands like KISS and Motley Crue -- shows like that in the 80s and early 90s, and tickets were only about $20-$22. No parking fees, no Ticket-Master fees. Just $20. And gas to drive there. And beer for after the show. Festival seating, girls flashing. Damn, life was good back then.

My advice -- start going to see smaller bands/performers in smaller venues. They need your support more than the mega-stars, the shows are cheaper, and I guarantee that you'll have a better time, even if it's a band you've never heard of. The music will sound better, the show will be more intimate, and you'll meet lots of cool people -- including members of the opposite sex.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-18-02 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-18-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Atricious prices for these higher-profile shows & festivals. Of course, on top of the overpriced tickets, you need to pay for parking and WAY overpriced ba food for the 5 or 6 hours you are there watching bands from a half-mile away. I typcially only see club shows & bands in smaller venues. If the tickets are more than $40-$50, I REALLY have to think hard about whether I'll go. This past Monday, I caught Nick Cave at the Wiltern (in L.A.) for around $35. Great seats, great venue, AMAZING show. He has a few dates across the USA in the coming weeks. Do yourself a favor and catch the show. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-18-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jippy, I hear ya... as I was reading these posts the only act I could envision paying big bucks for (who is on tour) is Nick Cave. And I plan on it in a few weeks here in Atlanta.

I was about to buy some tix (diff show) for $15 each a few weeks ago, but then when the final price was totaled and Ticketmaster wanted $7.50 a ticket, I said forget it. I'll just show up at the door and pay a couple of extra bucks for "day of show" price. I refuse to pay Ticketmaster those kind of fees for a cheap ticket if I can help it.
Old 04-20-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
It still isn't logical why some of you would happily pay $20-25 for a band's 90-minute concert, yet you raise a fuss about $78 for 12 HOURS of entertainment. At the $20/90 minute ratio, you should expect to pay $160 for it
Old 04-20-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as people are willing to pay these outrageous prices, they will continue to raise them. If enough people stop going then the prices will guarantee go down.
Old 04-20-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
while we are on the topic of high prices, does anybody know how much the hfstival (washington dc) is going to cost for one day.
Old 04-20-02, 06:55 PM

If Ozzfest actually had real rock and metal acts, then it would be worth it. The last Ozzfest I went to had Slayer, Black Sabbath, Rob Zombie, Primus, and other good artists. If I want to hear Nu-Metal I'll........oh wait, I don't. The only shows I'm planning on attending in the next few months are:

Siouxsie & The Banshees (!)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Shane MacGowan & The Popes
Peter Murphy
Medieval Baebes
Motorhead
Old 04-21-02, 10:45 AM
Retired

Originally posted by GuessWho
It still isn't logical why some of you would happily pay $20-25 for a band's 90-minute concert, yet you raise a fuss about $78 for 12 HOURS of entertainment.
The problem is that most people only want to see 1 or 2 of the bands at something like Ozzfest, so it's not worth it to them. It's not 12 Hours of entertaiment, but maybe an hour and a half. If it was $35, maybe I'd go to see the couple of bands on the lineup I like. But at these prices, I'll just wait for bands like System of a Down to go on their own tour. On a side note I passed on their last tour because they were with Slipknot, a bunch of talentless hacks that I despise and I'm not giving a cent to.
Old 04-22-02, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Scorpio
If Ozzfest actually had real rock and metal acts, then it would be worth it. The last Ozzfest I went to had Slayer, Black Sabbath, Rob Zombie, Primus, and other good artists. If I want to hear Nu-Metal I'll........oh wait, I don't. The only shows I'm planning on attending in the next few months are:
Well, i can only speak for myself, but I would rather see the current lineup than the one you described. Here I get Ozzy, System of a Down, Rob Zombie, Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society, Adema and more. Still it would have been even sweeter if Cornell/Rage group hadn't called it quits.

Still not sure if I plan to go. Ticket prices are a bit better here ($50 to $59 before Ticketmaster charges for the show in Somerset, Wisconsin, just across the Minnesota border) but still is kinda high for my budget. It's been a while, but I am still trying to figure out how they have two price tiers though. Last time I went to Float-Rite Park in Wisconsin, it was a big open field. Any Minnesotans or Wisconsinites been there lately know what I would be getting for my extra $9? The tickets aren't actually on sale until the end of May, so hard to tell right now.