Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Stones fans - I need your opinions

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-12-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I am starting to pick up some Stones stuff and I need your help. I'm not a big fan of the 60's stuff. So far I have:

Let It Bleed - Love it
Sticky Fingers - Love it
Exile - Average, some great stuff, but too much filler
Some Girls - Below average
Voodoo Lounge - Love it

The next ones I am looking to pick up are:

Steel Wheels
Undercover
Tattoo You
Emotional Rescue
Black And Blue
It's ONly Rock and Roll
Goat's Head Soup

I would appreciate anyone's opinions of the above albums. Why you do or do not like them. Thanks.
Old 04-12-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eesh! Goats Head Soup is the only decent record out of the ones that you mentioned. I know you say you don't like the '60s stuff, but seriously consider getting Beggar's Banquet, Aftermath and Satanic Majesties before the newer ones. The Stones are my favorite band and I don't own a single album after Some Girls. They just got really, really redundant at that point.

I can't believe you think that Exile has filler... oh well. Sticky Fingers is my favorite Stones album, by the way.

I should add that both It's Only Rock n Roll and Black and Blue have their moments, but avoid Emotional Rescue and Undercover at all costs. All costs!!!
Old 04-12-02, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow...Exile's actually my favorite Stones disc. Jon Spencer's original band, ***** Galore (EDIT: name of band apparently edited by a mod for some reason, but it's the name of a famous James Bond villian *END EDIT), also did a very "interesting" song for song cover of the album, which is worth hunting down for curiosity's sake (not an easy task finding the thing though).

Anyway, Goat's Head Soup is pretty good and Emotional Rescue's okay. It's Only Rock N' Roll isn't a total loss. I agree with Yancey on the others you mentioned. I'd recommend Flowers, Their Satanic Majesty's Request and Beggars Banquet over any of the ones you mentioned...

Last edited by Gdrlv; 04-12-02 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-12-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I definitely do not hate Exile, I just think it would work better as a shorter album with 4 or 5 cuts excised. I think Tumbling Dice, Rocks Off, Happy, Torn And Frayed, Shine A Light and Loving Cup are some of the best stuff the Stones have done. There are a few that are automatic skips for me though, such as Venitilator Blues.
Old 04-12-02, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
I definitely do not hate Exile, I just think it would work better as a shorter album with 4 or 5 cuts excised. I think Tumbling Dice, Rocks Off, Happy, Torn And Frayed, Shine A Light and Loving Cup are some of the best stuff the Stones have done. There are a few that are automatic skips for me though, such as Venitilator Blues.
I concur that Exile is hard to make it through in one sitting, but when I'm getting drunk there are few albums I'd rather listen to. And "Sweet Virginia" is certainly among my three favorite Stones songs.

Goat's Head Soup is worth getting for "100 Years Ago," where Mick does his best Van Morrison impression. I love that song.
Old 04-12-02, 01:13 PM

I would also recommend getting a copy of the Stones' documentary "Gimme Shelter"...some great live performances and the most powerful, disturbing and emotional portrait of a rock band ever filmed.
Old 04-12-02, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
I would also recommend getting a copy of the Stones' documentary "Gimme Shelter"...some great live performances and the most powerful, disturbing and emotional portrait of a rock band ever filmed.
I would recommend buying Stanley Booth's book True Adventures of the Rolling Stones. One of the best books I have ever read. Booth writes like Kerouac and he was with the Stones on the Altamont tour. It's a piece of literature, for sure.

Also try to find Cocksucker Blues. The legendary Stones groupie tape. It's not that great, but entertaining. Watch Keith Richards shoot up!!!
Old 04-12-02, 03:11 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Of the ones you mentioned, Goat's Head Soup, Emotional Rescue (though some don't like it) and Tattoo You are a must. Black + Blue and Undercover are nothing special
Old 04-12-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
I first listened to Exile back in '83 and thought it was just ok.

Twenty years later, I realize that this is not only the best work that the Stones have put out, but quite possibly the greatest rock&roll record ever made. It is a whole work - if you take out even one song - the album colapses - heck, even if you take out or add one instrument track - There is no such thing as the perfect album, yet, but Exile comes the closest to it. Let it Bleed would be a good example of a great record that's a collection of songs, but Exile is something else entirely - I have gotten tired of every old rock&roll record from the '60s and '70s, yet Exile is still as fresh as ever. I'm not even that big a Stone's fan, but the wonderment and joy that is Exile on Main Street cannot be denied.
Old 04-12-02, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by slop101

I first listened to Exile back in '83 and thought it was just ok.

Twenty years later, I realize that this is not only the best work that the Stones have put out, but quite possibly the greatest rock&roll record ever made. It is a whole work - if you take out even one song - the album colapses - heck, even if you take out or add one instrument track - There is no such thing as the perfect album, yet, but Exile comes the closest to it. Let it Bleed would be a good example of a great record that's a collection of songs, but Exile is something else entirely - I have gotten tired of every old rock&roll record from the '60s and '70s, yet Exile is still as fresh as ever. I'm not even that big a Stone's fan, but the wonderment and joy that is Exile on Main Street cannot be denied.
I agree with just about everything that you've said. Plus, how many other records have seen albums by other artists that were basically a song-by-song response to it (Liz Phair "Exile in Guyville")?
Old 04-12-02, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv

I agree with just about everything that you've said. Plus, how many other records have seen albums by other artists that were basically a song-by-song response to it (Liz Phair "Exile in Guyville")?
Liz Phair's Exile had nothing to do with the real Exile. It was a marketing gimmick and a way to get all the macho rock critics to adore her. It worked. It's a decent album, but it's also an album that has absolutely nothing to do with the Rolling Stones.
Old 04-12-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not a studio album, but you should definitely consider picking up thier live album "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!". Most Stones fans consider Ya-Ya's to be the best of the numerous live Stones albums--and a lot of people consider it to be one of the finest live albums ever released, period.

It was recorded during two shows in New York City at Madison Square Garden, in November, 1969--just before the Altamont Speedway concert. Several of the songs are featured in the excellent Gimme Shelter documentary, which was mentioned above.

This is the Stones right smack dab in the middle of their "untouchable" period (1968-1972), and it doesn't disappoint. Personally, I like several of the Ya-Ya's versions of the songs better than their studio counterparts--especially Jumpin' Jack Flash and Midnight Rambler.

No Stones collection is complete without it.

If you've got the spare cash, you might also consider picking up the three-CD set "Singles Collection - The London Years" if you're interested at all in The Stones' early period. Its got 58 songs total--every Stones single and B-side they released from "Come On" in May 1963 to "Sympathy for the Devil" in April 1976. Also includes a bunch of exclusive tracks that aren't on any other release. I think it sells for around $50-60, but that's still much cheaper than buying all of their early albums at their full price (and some of those albums are very short in length). And much more comprehensive than (the wasteful) "Hot Rocks 1964-1971" set.
Old 04-12-02, 11:59 PM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stones fans - I need your opinions

I am starting to pick up some Stones stuff and I need your help. I'm not a big fan of the 60's stuff. So far I have:

Let It Bleed - Love it
Sticky Fingers - Love it
Exile - Average, some great stuff, but too much filler
Some Girls - Below average
Voodoo Lounge - Love it
I'd say definitely get Beggar's Banquet and Ya-Ya's.

Goat's Head Soup is pretty good. The others you mentioned are rather mediocre or just bad (Undercover).

Bridges to Babylon has grown on me too (except Anybody Seen My Baby, which is by far the worst song on that album).