Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Lara - Next gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-02, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lara - Next gen

Being a huge Tomb Raider fan myself, I can't wait for the next TR ,but I'm hoping for a huge jump forward. Not so much in grafics but in game play, and from what I've read in every magazine, they say there is going to be. On the other hand, From what I've seen in the screen shots, it looks like the same old TR to me. Not that its really a bad thing, But they had better do something to keep it fresh.

Darth Gamer
Old 04-12-02, 10:28 AM
Cool New Member

I was at the premier in Sf, and from what they showed us I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Last edited by DigitalBackSpin; 04-22-02 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-12-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's about time that it had a significant face lift, and I think it looks great, but the gameplay was great before, so I wouldn't expect much change in that department.
Old 04-12-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say improve the graphics and game play for TR, by using the max payne engine. I think that would work perfectly, and use the time saved from not having to create an engine from scratch to create a bad ass story!
Old 04-12-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope this next installment offers something fresh and new to the series to get it out of the rut it's fallen into.
Old 04-14-02, 05:53 PM

I read in some game magazine that they are supposed to introduce a new character with this new TR game because they feel Lara is getting old. This new character is then going to get his own game.
Old 04-14-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by junkie
I read in some game magazine that they are supposed to introduce a new character with this new TR game because they feel Lara is getting old. This new character is then going to get his own game.
"His" own game... I thought the whole point of the lara croft games was to play as an indiana jones type character but to have the eye candy there. Not going to be please the guys if theres a male new character.
Old 04-14-02, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

"His" own game... I thought the whole point of the lara croft games was to play as an indiana jones type character but to have the eye candy there. Not going to be please the guys if theres a male new character.
I agree...maybe they are trying to win over the female gamers out there
Old 04-15-02, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
PICS?!

nevermind

for chubby chasers

Old 04-15-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's the press release:
A new Lara Croft for a new generation. Eidos Interactive and Core Design announce the return of the world’s most famous video game character in Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. The game will be released on PlayStation 2 and PC towards the end of 2002.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness is classic Lara as both hunter and hunted relying on her ingenuity, athleticism and a new edge that has arisen from her dark inner demons. However, this time she faces more evolved characters and situations, calling for more involved decision-making. Lara now has the ability to interact with characters and the choice of which path to take. Upgrading her trademark style and look and dropping her into a bombshell scenario calls for a new resourcefulness making her a stronger and more complex heroine.

Adrian Smith, Operations Director at Core Design says, "Our vision is to take the player somewhere dark, a place they might not necessarily wish to go, but a place they will have to venture if they are to bring Lara back. Lara will have some tough moral choices to make. It’s no longer a clear-cut case of good versus evil - this is a more complex tale, which will ask more complex questions of the player. It will be a new experience for people who have played Tomb Raider in the past."

The game employs a brand new engine built from the ground up to fully utilise the power of PlayStation 2 and the latest PC graphics cards. Lara is now made up of over 5,000 polygons as opposed to just 500 in previous Tomb Raider games. She must traverse an intricately detailed world, which takes her from the back streets of Paris to the hellish depths of Prague.

Lara has changed since her experiences in Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. She has become darker, harder, less tolerant and her tomb raiding days are a distant memory. A desperate phone call from her former mentor Von Croy leads her to Paris. Von Croy has been asked by a sinister client, Eckhardt, to track down one of five 14th century artworks - the Obscura Paintings. She arrives in Paris to find a city in fear. Von Croy has been the victim of a horrific murder and framed for the crime, Lara has no option but to go on the run.

During her exploits Lara encounters a kindred spirit in Kurtis Trent, a hardened adventurer like herself, who is in pursuit of Eckhardt. In her struggle to unravel the trail left by Von Croy, Lara becomes involved in underworld deals, grotesque murders, the dark side of an advanced form of alchemy and a history of blood, betrayal and vengeance spanning across hundreds of years.
Old 04-15-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Here are some actual screenshots. I think it does look better than the old games:

Old 04-15-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JuryDuty
Here are some actual screenshots. I think it does look better than the old games:

those pics look awesome
Old 04-15-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
I thought she was supposed to have died at the end of "The Last Revelation", unless this game is another flashback like "Chronicles".