Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taking a camera into a concert?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-11-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

is it normally allowed to have a camera with you at a concert?
I'm going to see No Doubt tomorrow and am considering taking my digital camera
Old 04-12-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check your ticket. it usually says on there.

-Steve
Old 04-12-02, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
Generally, no. Bringing in cameras and recorders is a pretty big no-no. You could potentially run the risk of having your camera confiscated, or they could tell you to take it back to your car. Providing that there's any kind of security. If they're searching people at the gates, they won't let you in with a camera. If you're going to attempt to take one in, I'd suggest using a one-use camera rather than an expensive digital camera.

Years ago, we -- my friends and I -- used to smuggle cameras into concerts, but we were never able to get the pictures to come out.
Old 04-12-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks for the info
I won't risk it
Old 04-12-02, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
bring in one of those throw away camera, and do it discretely. Usually though there is a note at the front of the club informing whether or not it is permited. At a The The show I saw on my birthday in 2000 up in Philly there were so many people taking pictures that it became very distracting. Of the few times I took pics at shows I got some good pictures of Super Furry Animals (DC - Black Cat), and Travis (Chicago - Metro).
Old 04-12-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the camera is fairly small you can get away with stuffing it in your pants hehe. They can't touch your junk when you get frisked so that would be the only place to hide it hehe.
Old 04-12-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if cameras are illegal, then why is it when you watch concerts on tv, when they pan out to the audience, a lot of flashes go off.
Old 04-12-02, 02:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Rypro 525
if cameras are illegal, then why is it when you watch concerts on tv, when they pan out to the audience, a lot of flashes go off.
Depends on the performers/venue as far as if cameras are allowed. I know when I went to Farm Aid last year, you weren't supposed to bring in cameras. I saw several nice digital cameras and even camcorders in the first few rows. How do you hide a Sony 8mm camcorder in your crotch?
Old 04-12-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

security has changed muc since 9-11. At the arena where I work, NO bags other than purses are allowed, including backpacks and camera bags, and all purses are searched, and that include media and most VIPs. check if it is no photography or no flash photography. If you do bring a camera with you, don't use a flash and you most likely will not get in trouble. A flash is the only way that you will get singled out in a crowd. If I catch a person using a flash, and then catch them a second time, I will confiscate the camera (disposable) or the film (non disposable). When I work the barrier, usually at least 1 person will give me a camera, and ask me to take a pic when the main band comes on stage. If I were you, this is what I would do.
Old 04-12-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even before 911, I had never been to a concert that allowed anything but purses in anyway. Well, with the exception of the Dave Matthews Band show I caught about 10 days before it, which was the first show I had been to that allowed you to bring anything in you would like. They didn't even frisk me.
Old 04-12-02, 08:32 PM

It all depends on the band..
Motley Crue for example..condones and asks the fans to take pictures, video and audio..

I would call the venue...

If you go the backpack route..hide in on the bottom with a jacket or Tshirt wrapped around it...

good luck
Old 04-12-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have taken a camera (one of those auto every_Damn! thing) cameras into over 35+ concerts at different size venues. Never once have I had a problem other than the quality of the picture. My rule of thumb: Don't abuse the privilige. Remember that other people didn't pay these prices to have a flash going off every 30 secs.
Old 04-13-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Keep the flash off and there should be no problem with getting caught.
Old 04-13-02, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by tor_greg
Keep the flash off and there should be no problem with getting caught.

Umm..then all you will get is a black blur...
Old 04-13-02, 09:54 AM

Had no problems taking my digital camera into the U2 concert at Staples Center in LA last year -- the security guys only seemed to care if it was a camcorder or not. And as far as the flash goes, what good would it do anyway? I doubt you're gonna be close enough that it would work properly, and then you'll get a nice dark blur on your pictures. At least with the flash off, the shutter'll stay open long enough to have a chance at a decent picture (though you'll obviously need to have steady hands).
Old 04-13-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

Umm..then all you will get is a black blur...
I hear they light stages nowadays.
Old 04-14-02, 10:40 AM

How good of a quality picture would a picture be? W/O a telephoto lens, I would think it would be of marginal quality.