Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nikka Costa opening for Britney...anyone else find this kind of--insulting?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Nikka Costa opening for Britney...anyone else find this kind of--insulting?

Old 04-11-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nikka Costa opening for Britney...anyone else find this kind of--weird?

I am neither a Nikka nor a Britney fan. However, I do basically 'tolerate' Ms. Costa. I do picture her, talent-wise and other-wise, stomping the hell out of Ms. Spears in a cat-fight.

Yet Nikka is Britney's opening act, at least in my city.

First off, seems like a clear-case of audience mismatch.

Second, the aforementioned talent gap.

Third, what the hell was NC thinking? (Likely answer is probably "money and exposure"--but then think of the other two things and it doesn't seem like necessarily such a great idea.) Anyway, just wanted to point out the most in-your-face musical absurdity I've seen in recent times.

Last edited by Jepthah; 04-11-02 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-11-02, 07:06 PM

ANYTHING about Broccoli Spears is insulting.

T
Old 04-11-02, 07:07 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like you said it's money and exposure for Nikka Costa.

Maybe she thinks she'll get a few more fans, but that's not really likley with type of younger audience I imagine Britney getting.

I've seen these kind of mismatches before. The Stereo MC's opened from Live and Jane's Addiction when I saw them in Pittsburgh. The crowd, myself included, was bored as crap and didn't get in to their set at all. People there to here Live and JA aren't that likely to be into the Techno/hip hop stuff the Stereo MC's do.

I'm not sure why they set up tours like this. They should tour with a more popular band that plays the same type/genre of music. That way they'll be more likely to make more fans.

As for the talent gap, popularity, not talent, determines who opens and who is the main act.
Old 04-11-02, 08:30 PM

I've never even heard of Nikka Costa so perhaps she should be thankful she's getting the word out on her music.
Old 04-11-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tried to edit thread title as it implies that I care more than I actually do.

Last edited by Jepthah; 04-11-02 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-11-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
They should call it the

"KILLING KITTENS TOUR"
Old 04-11-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's no worse than the crime that is having Ryan Adams open for the horsey shrew Alanis Morrisette on her shed tour this summer. I can't bear to line the Morrisette's pockets with my hard-earned dough - but I must see Ryan Adams again before his Pinkhearts album comes out. I want to see where these new songs end up in the evolution of touring.

And prior to that, around '95 - RADIOHEAD opened for Morrisette. Yes, I well remember having a cup of beer splashed over me as I lay on the ground post-Radiohead set, defiantly not partaking in the arena-sing along to Morrisette's "Jagged Little Pill" album. Those double "X" chromosones in the audience were all wound up to see their bitter dumped messiah-ess.

She seems to have a history of launching acts that will shortly surpass her in critical and commercial success.
Old 04-11-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well obviously NC is only doing a few shows for Britney. Long gone are the days when acts would tour together from start to finish on a tour.

Nikka was in my city about 3 - 4 months ago. Put on one hellva show. I think she would go great in the opening slot in this tour. She brings in a totally different fan base to a Britney concert while trying to get new fans in on her music. Works great for me. If you've been to a Nikka show, you know there isn't that much difference betwwen the two girls.
Old 04-12-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by codefree
I've never even heard of Nikka Costa so perhaps she should be thankful she's getting the word out on her music.

Really? Wow. I got her album and it is really good. Btw, she had a video a while back for a song called "Like A Feather".
Old 04-12-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by grunter
It's no worse than the crime that is having Ryan Adams open for the horsey shrew Alanis Morrisette on her shed tour this summer.
Actually, it's way better. I want...no, I need...to see Ryan Adams live, but she's charging friggin' 60 bucks per ticket in Vegas, and Adams is only gonna play for what? 40 minutes or so, dammit.

Nikka Costa seems to tour with a wide range...Britney is way different than the last few groups she opened up for...Karl Denson's Tiny Universe (jamband jazz/funk) and Blackalicious (underground hip hop). She doesn't fit with either of these two, but I don't think she really fits with Britney either.
Old 04-12-02, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
They should call it the

"KILLING KITTENS TOUR"

Old 04-13-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv

Actually, it's way better. I want...no, I need...to see Ryan Adams live, but she's charging friggin' 60 bucks per ticket in Vegas, and Adams is only gonna play for what? 40 minutes or so, dammit.