Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playing DVDs on PS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-02, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playing DVDs on PS2

I've tried watching a couple different DVDs in my new PS2 but the picture comes out very dark. Is this normal??? I mean I know that the system was designed for game play and not for watching movies but this really should not make a difference, should it??? I wonder if I bought a Monster video cable if this would help any??? Has anyone else experienced this or do I have defective player??? Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks,
The General
Old 04-11-02, 03:19 PM

I have had my PS2 fade in and out so for lack of a better phrase it may be normal. I have noticed it plays better from the start of the movie rather than using chapter selection.
Old 04-11-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys don't have your PS2s going through your VCRs, do you?
Old 04-11-02, 05:28 PM

That is a negative! The PS2 is going straight through to the TV via the video Input 2 video/Audio R&L. Has anyone tried the Monster cable(s) that are available for the PS2? Are they worth $40 or $60???
Old 04-11-02, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by General Kenobi
That is a negative! The PS2 is going straight through to the TV via the video Input 2 video/Audio R&L. Has anyone tried the Monster cable(s) that are available for the PS2? Are they worth $40 or $60???
They are definitely worth it, but I'm not going to gaurantee you that they will fix your problem. The monsters will provide a better picture if you are using a higher end system system, but you may not notice it on a normal setup. I have never noticed a dark picture while watching a movie, but I also have it going through a Vega so I can adjust the contrast and brightness pretty quickly using the pre-sets.
Old 04-11-02, 05:46 PM

I actually do have my PS2 running through my VCR. That may explain the problem, the copy protection on DVD's. Because when I briefly moved my PS2 to another TV directly connected the picture was fine. Just never put 2 and 2 together.
Old 04-11-02, 05:52 PM

Ok, let me rephrase "the picture comes out very dark" comment that I made on the original posting. When I play a game, any game the resolution on the TV is brighter then when I play a DVD. While watching a DVD people moving in shadows cannot be made out clearly. Yes I can adjust the brightness, colour, and contrast but I should not have to. As the DVD is a higher grade of resolution then most games for the PS2. I hope this clears things up without going into unchartered waters.
Old 04-11-02, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by General Kenobi
Ok, let me rephrase "the picture comes out very dark" comment that I made on the original posting. When I play a game, any game the resolution on the TV is brighter then when I play a DVD. While watching a DVD people moving in shadows cannot be made out clearly. Yes I can adjust the brightness, colour, and contrast but I should not have to. As the DVD is a higher grade of resolution then most games for the PS2. I hope this clears things up without going into unchartered waters.
Hmm. The only movie I have had problems with as far as too dark would be The Crow, but that is a pretty dark movie to begin with. Maybe your idea of game brightness is not high enough and what you think is bright is actually dark for the game. If you know some one with Devil May Cry (excellent game) play that on your system and adjust the brightness level to where you can see everything (in the foreground) clearly. This is a pretty dark game, so it is good to go by.
Old 04-12-02, 10:33 AM
Cool New Member

Actually I know exactly what you're talking about.
It's just how the PS2 is.

I've gone so far as to use two copies of the crow and have the PS2 and my JVC DVD player connected to my set and flipped between the two input sources and the PS2 is noticably darker.
Old 04-12-02, 02:39 PM

and even with the Monster cables it will still be too dark

speaking of the crow when we watched it on the ps2 you couldnt even see the crow when it was flying over the city

my friends who has the ps2 with the monster cables has had it for about two years and its starting to not recognize dvds anymore as well

First it was "Clerks" which took about 20 million resets and powerdowns to get it to recognize

Then the last movie was Anchor Bay's Zombie which we gave up on after a half-hour and went to someone elses house to watch it