Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I think I just found my first copy protected CD

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-10-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the special edition of The Cure's "Greatest Hits" album this past weekend - simply for the all acoustic 2nd disc. I just got around to listening to the disc (brand spankin' new out of the package) and found that my CD-ROM drive on my computer won't accept the disc as a music CD. It "skates" over the tracks playing bits here and there, but won't play any track all the way through.

There's absolutely no scratching on the data side of the disc.

I suppose I'll have to wait till I get home to check it on my stereo. But I have a feeling I just stumbled onto my first copy protected disc.

Anyone have similar problems?

I searched around the net and found that many new Elektra discs seem to have the same glitch.
Old 04-10-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would return it to the store, tell them that it doesn't play on your CD player (don't tell them that it won't run on the computer unles they specifically ask).

They'll tell you to get another one.

The next day take the second one back and tell them the same thing, get another copy.

After the second one, tell them that it still won't play on your CD player and you want a refund. They may try it on their CD player and it will work fine, explain that your CD player is hooked through your computer and that you don't have a conventional CD player. See what they say.

I am assumeing that the outside of the case does not say anything like "will not work on PCs".
Old 04-10-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
Maybe I'm being really dense here, but why copy protect a greatest hits CD? All of the songs on it will already be out in the ether anyway.

Of the course the two new ones won't -- the ones everyone who will be buying a whole CD of material they already own for.
Old 04-10-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe I'm being really dense here, but why copy protect a greatest hits CD?
My first thought is that people who buy greatest hits cds are less likely to be playing them on cd-rom drives, for the reasons you mention above, and maybe a few others. Just an idea.
Old 04-10-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One other thought/question:

Did the problem cd contain an official CD Audio logo? These are generally located imprinted in the plastic below where the cd sits in the jewel box.

The people who control that copyright are having serious issues with the possibility that non-standard cds will have that logo.
Old 04-10-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

right now the only copy-protected cd that the labels have said publicly is Fast and the Furious 2 soundtrack.

it does say that it's protected on the back of the cd

they announced it a couple months ago.

also a Universal disc by new rapper Pretty Willie and it also says it on the back of the cd.
Old 04-11-02, 06:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's the all acoustic 2nd disc?
Old 04-13-02, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
copy-righted cd -- wtf?
how much money was wasted on this technology?