Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pet Shop Boys US Tour

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pet Shop Boys US Tour

Old 04-10-02, 09:14 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 104 Likes on 93 Posts
Pet Shop Boys US Tour

For the release of the new Album Release

May
14 Jackie Gleason Theatre, Miami, FL
15 Maxwell King, Melbourne, FL
16 Dekalb Center, Atlanta, GA
18 Nation, Washington, DC
19 Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA
21 Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY
22 Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY
23 Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY
25 Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA
26 Massey Hall, Toronto, Ont
27 State Theatre, Detroit, MI
28 Rivera Theatre, Chicago, IL
30 Auditorium Theatre, Denver, CO

June
01 Bronco Bowl, Dallas, TX
02 Verizon Wireless Theatre, Houston, TX
04 Copley Symphony Hall, San Diego, CA
05 The Joint, Las Vegas, NV
07 Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles, CA
08 Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA
09 Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA
Old 04-10-02, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Chicago! It's too near to us! No one ever comes to Milwaukee!

Looking forward to their new album though!
Old 04-10-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I saw them on the Performance tour back in 89 or 90. Really good show. Does anyone know if this tour is going to be theatrical like that one was.
Old 04-10-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much as I love the Pet Shop Boys' albums, I have to advise people to avoid their shows. There are some bands in the techno-pop/new wave dance genre that can really get their music across live (eg. Depeche Mode, Gary Numan, the Faint).

And then there are those "other" bands in the genre that just hit the "play" button on their DAT machine and clap and sing along like the biggest hammy wannabes at your local karaoke bar. Erasure is probably the biggest offender in this latter category (where Vince Clarke literally hung off the 2 story DAT machine like it was a jungle gym and theatrically made much of the fact that he was just pressing the button for a new song). But the Pet Shop Boys come in a close second. All of the songs are re-created precisely like the studio versions with no variation or new "interpretation". Neil Tenant stands at the side of the stage, clutching his microphone like it's the golden crucifix that will save him from the audience of vampires, acting like a bit player in a larger stage production. The focus of the show (at least the most recent one I saw) was almost entirely on the troupe of "interpretive" dancers who pranced about on the way-too-small custom-built two-tier stage in ridiculous concept fashions in kindergarten primary colors. Granted, maybe if I were tripping on "e" like most of the over-perfumed crowd seemed to be, then the show would have been entertaining in a modestly diverting sort of way. But I was just bored.

I am looking forward to the new album however. Their snarky takes on gay culture are dead on and usually their production skills are just one step ahead of mainstream-type dance albums.

And who knows? This summer season looks to be pretty barren as far as concerts seem to go. Maybe I'll end up catching the show again after all. In my estimation, they've definitely got the tunes and their stage presence could only improve from what I saw.
Old 04-10-02, 10:31 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
As much as I love the Pet Shop Boys' albums, I have to advise people to avoid their shows. There are some bands in the techno-pop/new wave dance genre that can really get their music across live (eg. Depeche Mode, Gary Numan, the Faint).

Neil Tenant stands at the side of the stage, clutching his microphone like it's the golden crucifix that will save him from the audience of vampires, acting like a bit player in a larger stage production.
And Neil PLaying Guitar on the rearranged Se A Vide E was just like on the CD, I think not, I also saw them last go around, and while I agree with some of our comments, it's hard to translate pure pop to Stage.

However the new album has a lot more guitar based melodies, so I expect this to be a pretty damn good tour.
Old 04-10-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
On the Performance tour, they changed up the songs quite a bit.
Old 04-10-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait.

Golden crucifixes won't work against the undead. Only silver ones will.

Stupid, stupid, stupid me.

Old 04-15-02, 03:15 PM
Cool New Member

grunter:

I'm a fan but never seen them live. I've heard your comments from other people as well and I think I am going to miss this one. It's 50 bucks a ticket and since I have the new album (pretty darn good), I'll just stick in my CD player.

And Depeche Mode are definitely one of the best live acts, and my fave act of all time!
Old 04-15-02, 04:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
Wait.

Golden crucifixes won't work against the undead. Only silver ones will.

Stupid, stupid, stupid me.

That whole thing went straight over my head, care to explain?
Old 04-15-02, 05:22 PM

No Cleveland?

- Matt
Old 04-15-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SweetP
And Depeche Mode are definitely one of the best live acts, and my fave act of all time!
Excellent to see another Mode fan around these parts. Definitely my favourite band as well...

... that being said, I'd really suggest checking out PSB live. While they aren't the most dynamic act ever to put on a show, it's definitely fun to see some of the antics and to get out there and dance with a large crowd of fellow PSB devotees.

Cheers!

-matt
Old 04-16-02, 09:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Why is that every time I plan on a vacation a band I really like decides to come and perform. Looks like I will be going to the Philly show and not the DC show, grrr!