Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

music dvds vs dvd audio?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

music dvds vs dvd audio?

Old 04-10-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
music dvds vs dvd audio?

i am thinking that if the dvd is dvda (good band too ) that the music is encoded in DD 5.1 so that the music is multidirectional and not just the same sound coming out of all the speakers.

so what about music dvds, like videos and concerts. are they often mixed to 5.1 or does it depend?

i am looking for, if my assumptions are correct, dvda. but it seems like the only dvd audio discs are for bands that i don't think would benefit much from 5.1 . where as a group like Skinny Puppy would sound so fantastic in 5.1 but i think it will be quite a wait for such non mainstream artists to get the 5.1 treatment, but anyone have any reccomendation of industrial, experimental, or electronica audio dvds that i might have missed?
Old 04-10-02, 12:24 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Music Talk.
Old 04-10-02, 12:35 AM

Im gonna say it depends all on the mixing..

Some concert DVDs, are done 'cheap', and just have Dolby 2.0, using the same sound, out of each speaker.. and its sort of 'soft' sounding..

Some of them, are EXCELLENT (NINE INCH NAILS: And all that could have been...), which has one of the best damn mixes, i've ever heard.

Its mixed in DTS 5.1 (DD5.1 mix also available), which seperates almost every instrument, to its best sounding location..

And the video footage is awesome..

Watching songs like CLOSER live, is just awesome, hearing how they mixed it..
The "Heartbeat" sounds come out of the sub, and from left/right speakers, the "Click click click click click" thing comes out the 2 rear speakers, then the guitar parts go all over the place (Sometimes they'll be in the back left, then move to the back right, then to all 5 speakers, etc..)

So, I think it all depends on a case-by-case basis.. but for the most part, I bet DVD-A's will sound better, since thats what their made for.. While concert DVD's will focus mainly on the visuals..
Old 04-11-02, 10:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Bjork's Vespertine - is pretty incredible in 5.1 sound. Ad nasum plug: Super Furry Animals "Rings Around the World" great 5.1 DD/DTS soundtrack that should be the precident for what music should sound like in surround sound.
Old 04-11-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spiderone is right, AATCHB sounds almost better on my HT system than it did when I watched the tour live in concert hehe. It probably is the best sounding tour/performance dvd released yet, at least that I own.