Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Oasis CD ' Heathen Chemistry'

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-09-02, 11:50 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 104 Likes on 93 Posts

I eh acquired this over the weekend, and I like it a lot, more mellow than Definitely Maybe.

Breakdown of the tracks from oa515.com
The oa515.com Heathen Chemistry track by track review

1) The Hindu Times
(written by Noel)
(vocals by Liam)
The song that most people have already heard having been released to radio in late March. Despite all the talk before anyone heard the album, this is in fact one of the most 'rock 'n' roll' songs on the album.

2) Force of Nature
(Written by Noel)
(Vocals by Noel)
Quite an old song for many Oasis fans, having heard this either as an mp3 or over the closing credits to the 2000 film, Love, Honour and Obey. Its written and sung by Noel and is a up tempo bluesy pop song.

3) Hung in a Bad Place
(Written by Gem)
(Vocals by Liam)
A song written by the Oasis guitarist, Gem, it's a stomping pop rock tune with a touch of 70's glam rock to the rhythm section

4) Little by Little
(Written by Noel)
(Vocals by Noel)
A total Oasis classic, possibly a future single, the anthem of the summer? Noel delivers this power ballad with his trademark Oasis sound with soulful verses and a soaring chorus and one of the few guitar solos on the album

5) Songbird
(Written by Liam)
(Vocals by Liam)
A song from Liam which is obviously a simple lovesong to his girlfriend Nicole. It features a light poppy acoustic strumming sound with piano and tamborine laced neatly throughout.

6) (instrumental)
(Written by: ???)
A short bluesy style instrumental, with organ, handclaps and slide guitar.

7) Stop Crying your Heart Out
(writen by Andy, Gem or Noel)
(vocals by Liam)
Starting with a single piano and Liams heartwrenching vocals, this is a song which will be all over the radio during this summer. It has instant appeal and a great hook that will have fields of people singing along, lighters aloft during thius summers world tour. Once again it is very based over an acoustic guitar track but has a soaring string backing to it.

8) All in the Mind
(Written by Noel)
Sounding bit like REM mixed with Hurricane#1, this is Liam doing what he does, belt out singalong songs along side air guitar lovers favourite, great Oasis guitar solos.

9) She is Love
(Written by Noel)
Similar in sound to Liams songbird, this is Noels light jangly acoustic strumalong written about his girlfriend. With a high pitched organ sound and tamborine throughout.

10) Born on a Different Cloud
(Written by Liam)
(Vocals by Liam)
Maybe the darkest song on this very summery sounding album, it is reminiscent of Gas Panic but with a very strong piano line all the way through. A middle section very Beatlish in this song about Liams son with ex-wife Patsy Kensit, Lennon Gallagher. A highlight of the album which is a great example of Liams songwriting ability.

11) Better Man
(Written by Liam)
(Vocals by Liam)
The rock and roll blues song, finishing the album in the same way The Hindu Times starts it, with a stompalong tune. Features several lyrics repeated over and over but is a great way to finish a fantastic new album.
Old 04-10-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dammit, I just came to this forum to post this!

I love the CD. Just got it tonight and it's much better than ...Giants.
Old 04-10-02, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know there's only four songs sung by Noel as I strongly prefer Liam's voice. When exactly is the official release date for this album? IMO, Oasis has gotten better over the years, thus I have high expectations for this CD.
Old 04-10-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

cool. good news. when does the album come out in stores?
Old 04-10-02, 10:33 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Album Streets in July I think.
Old 04-10-02, 12:53 PM

The first single hits stores this Tuesday, I think. I can't wait.
Old 04-10-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure the vocal are split 5 and 5 for Noel and Liam this time around.

either Stop Crying or Better Man are sung by Noel.

I'm pretty positive that Better Man is Noel singing.

Great cd anyway. I was just surprised to hear Noel singing so much..........even though everyone likes Liam's incredible vocals better.

the Hindu Times single has this tracklisting (although versions may vary depending on what country.

1. Hindu Times

2. Idler's Dream (Heathen b-side)

3. Just Getting Older (SOTSOG outtake)

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 04-10-02 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-10-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey

Great cd anyway. I was just surprised to hear Noel singing so much..........even though everyone likes Liam's incredible vocals better.
Not I. I'd be happy if Liam left the band and Noel did all the singing.
Old 04-10-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DTSC

I agree, remember the Oasis MTV unplugged when Noel sang?

personally, I think Liam "quitting" the band before the unplugged show on MTV is what made that one of the best Unplugged sessions. Noel has a wonderful voice and seemed very at ease handling it by himself.
Old 04-10-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another vote for booting Liam. I much prefer Noel's voice. And the fact that they have Andy Bell gives me further frustration -- he has a great voice as well. So Liam is the lead singer of a band that has two other singers who are much better.
Old 04-10-02, 10:03 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Noel sings differently though, I have been to a bunch of Oasis concerts, and seen Noel sing lots of Liams songs due to liam loafing around etc, I think in Rhode Island someone threw a shoe (who throws a shoe) and he left the stage.

They each have there way about singing. I can't imagine Noel blasting out Rock and Roll star.

I like it how it is
Old 04-10-02, 10:06 PM

I think Liam is the best singer around in any rock band today, followed by Maynard from Tool/APC. Noel's alright, good for the softer songs and b-sides, but I was disapointed at the number of songs he sings on the new record. He's a good singer, but Liam sounds like no one else out there today.
Old 04-10-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DTSC

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think Noel is the better singer.
Liam is good, but I prefer the more sullen and less whiny voice of Noel.
Old 04-11-02, 10:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I like Oasis, but a couple of songs Liam sounds too nasally. I thought it was very impressive when Noel did the acoustic show by himself.
Old 04-11-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Noel writes all the great songs though.

Without Noel there would be no OASIS.
Old 04-11-02, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Noel writes all the great songs though.

Without Noel there would be no OASIS.
A "Liam-only" Oasis could always do cover albums of Beatles songs though.
Old 07-06-02, 10:05 PM

OASIS "Heathen Chemistry"

Track listing;

1- The Hindu Times (N. Gallagher)
2- Force of Nature (N. Gallagher)
3- Hung In A Bad Place (Gem Archer)
4- Stop Crying Your Heart Out (N. Gallagher)
5- Songbird (L. Gallagher)
6- Little By Little (N. Gallagher)
7- A Quick Peep (Andy Bell)
8- (Probably) All In the Mind (N. Gallagher)
9- She Is Love (N. Gallagher)
10- Born On A Different Cloud (L. Gallagher)
11- Better Man (L. Gallagher)

"Heathen Chemistry", the first Oasis album in roughly two years sees chief songwriter Noel Gallagher sharing his duties with the entire band (minus Alan White.)

"The Hindu Times" is a great opening track. Featuring a rocking eastern style guitar riff (how often do you hear that?) and a chorus that you just want to shout along with.

"Force of Nature" debuted a few years ago in the British film "Love, Honour and Obey". It's looped drum beat reminds you of Iggy Pop's "Nightclubbing". It's bad ass swagger with a little guitar distortion and I love it. Noel's vocals suit it just fine.

Gem Archer's only contribution to the album is the surprisingly strong "Hung In A Bad Place". I really didn't know what to expect from Gem but this is a great rock song. I've never been a big fan of Liam Gallagher's style of singing but he really matches up quite nicely to this track, I especially like how he sings the title, I know that sounds like a simple thing to say but it's what makes the song catchy.

Wow, I don't know how to approach "Stop Crying Your Heart Out". Easily the best song on the album. It begins with a melancholy piano followed by Liam's plaintive wail...sounding full of knowing sadness yet an underlying positive feeling. Noel's writing on this track brings back that wonderful vibe from 1995's "Don't Look Back In Anger". One of the biggest compliments I can give a song is that it made me cry and that's exactly what happened when I first heard this track (ironic considering the title eh?) Beautiful.

Liam's first self-penned track for the album is "Songbird". A fairly simple accoustic song and I must say, I've never heard Liam sing like this. He usually has a sneering, whine but he actually sings this time and makes me wish he'd go this route more often.
"Songbird" makes for pleasant listening.

Another Noel track is "Little By Little" (he sings this one as well.) It comes across as a sure single release with a chorus that's easy to sing along with. While Noel handles the vocals with confidence, the song certainly breaks very little new ground. The song seems to copy off of several of Noel's older tracks, the ending is reminiscent of "Champagne Supernova" for example. A decent song but eerily familar.

The lone Andy Bell track comes in the form of an instrumental called "A Quick Peep". Honestly, it's a waste of space...a true album filler. Unlike "The Swamp Song", "A Quick Peep" meanders along, going nowhere.

Noel's "(Probably) All In the Mind" is an easily forgettable composistion and likely should've been relegated to B-side status. "Idler's Dream" (the B-side to "The Hindu Times" single) should be on the album instead. Unfortunately....two poor songs in a row and can be skipped past as you won't be missing anything worthwhile. Unremarkable.

"She Is Love", a rather sappy title for a rock band. Noel sings this one but even that cannot save it from mediocrity. This is one of those songs you see in a romantic comedy, playing along to a montage of a couple in love on a date. However it's a listenable misfire.

When people claim Oasis rip-off the Beatles, I usually scoff but when you hear Liam's "Born On A Different Cloud" you have to stop and remind yourself it isn't John Lennon singing. I'm not saying that's a bad thing mind you, just a bit jarring. The song has great atmosphere with subtle vocal distortion and a mid-tempo beat. Probably the "coolest" offering from this album.

Liam gets to end the album with "Better Man", which comes off as an unreleased Kula Shaker piece. It's a bit of a disappointment considering some of the epics that capped off previous Oasis albums like "Champagne Supernova" and "The Masterplan". I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm just saying it would've been more fitting to place it somewhere in the middle. "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" would've ended the album on a huge high note.

There is a "hidden" track roughly 28 minutes after "Better Man" ends. Of course it's untitled and deservedly so as it serves no point, it's just there. It's simply another instrumental track and I must say, two instrumentals on one album smacks of laziness.

Minus a few so-so tracks, this is a fairly strong album with several high notes struck. Liam's songwriting is much better than "Little James" (off the previous studio album) seemed to indicate. Gem added a kicking song and Noel (mostly) delivered the goods. However, if Andy Bell's "A Quick Peep" (and his B-side to the "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" single - "Thank You For the Good Times") represents the best he can give Oasis, I'd rather he just stick to playing bass.

Regardless of that minor quibble, "Heathen Chemistry" is a good album but just short of great.

Last edited by evilbaby; 07-06-02 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-07-02, 09:26 AM

It took my awhile to remember where I had heard "Forces of Nature" before. For all the Oasis completists the UK singles for "Hindu Times" and "Stop Crying Your Eyes Out" have the non-album songs:
"Just Getting Older"
"Idler's Dream"
"Shout it out loud"
"Thank you for the good times"
Old 07-07-02, 09:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

evilbaby, I've now merged your album-related post with the pre-existing thread. Sometimes an advance search will let you bump an earlier thread <small>and save me some time!</small>

I've also merged the other two Oasis threads you recently started (I appreciate that one started off elsewhere): I don't think we need quite so many on one topic all in the one place.

And, heh, BDB and DTSC, now that the CD-proper is hitting the streets and you've gone and bought your own copies, what do you think of the package overall? Thoughts/opinions?

Benedict

Last edited by benedict; 07-07-02 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-07-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a damn good record.

I think SONGBIRD and Stop Crying Your Heart Out are instant classics... two of Oasis's finest songs... especially songbird... a great little ditty.

This album rocks out and keeps rolling quickly, a very satisfying disc from Oasis, showing that they still have IT.

MATT
Old 07-07-02, 09:07 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by benedict

And, heh, BDB and DTSC, now that the CD-proper is hitting the streets and you've gone and bought your own copies, what do you think of the package overall? Thoughts/opinions?

Benedict
I have indeed picked up the cd, and actually only listened to it a couple of times as I bought the Ash cd free all angels the same day, and I am living with that one now.

The packaging is nice, I like the way each of them has there own page to give hello's etc..
Old 07-07-02, 10:00 PM

I picked up the CD, gave it a spin, and was quite disappointed. Perhaps it'll grow on me though the way that Be Here Now did.
Old 07-08-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy

I have indeed picked up the cd, and actually only listened to it a couple of times as I bought the Ash cd free all angels the same day, and I am living with that one now.

The packaging is nice, I like the way each of them has there own page to give hello's etc..
I have similar sentiments. I just bought the Ash CD last week (when it was $5.99 at BB) and the new Oasis and that Ash CD has yet to come out of my CD player while I've only listened to the Oasis CD once. I'm a little disappointed and it's a really short album.
Old 07-08-02, 07:38 AM

I know this is going off the tangent but, goddamn the Ash album nearly took a little less than a year to come across the Atlantic, and it's my second favourite album of last year, talk about slow. I hope the Area 2 tour is not their only Stateside appearence. Is the 7 city tour in August for Oasis the only tour dates of this year?
Old 07-08-02, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the Liam-penned "Songbird" (track 5). It such a good one but I wish it were longer. (only about 2 minutes)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.