Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Deftones in the fall! WOOHOO!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a few people will like to hear this, if they already haven't...(AND YOU STAY OUTTA HERE RAITHEN! LOL)

From the deftones SACTO page
Deftones bassist Chi Cheng recently spoke to Rolling Stone about the bands upcoming new album, "Lovers", which the group plan to begin recording shortly at their own home studio with producer Terry Date (Incubus, Pantera). Here's what he had to say:

"We definitely want to put out a very energetic, very upbeat, fast album. We've proven that we can musically go in any direction we want, and we want to get kind of heavy on this one. We spent three or four months, each of us, working on our little solo projects and now we're all kind of like, 'These ****ing side projects! We need to wrap them up and get back to our main focus, which is the Deftones.' Chino is trying to finish Team Sleep. I don't know how many bands Stephen's got on the side now... I can't even keep track. Everyone's trying to get their personal life in order before we jump into the whole mess of an album cycle and touring and everything else."

The band hope to release the album this fall through Maverick/Warner and are expected to begin touring around the same time, possibly as part of this years Pledge Of Allegiance Tour, which is slated to kick off in mid-October and is reportedly eyeing System Of A Down, Disturbed, Queens Of The Stone Age and Taproot for the bill.
The Rolling Stone Article is here.
While I could do without Disturbed, the Queens of the Stone Age rock pretty hard, so this should be a decent tour if it happens.

I just can't wait for this cd...the 'tones are one of the most versatile and musically sound bands out there right now...
Old 04-09-02, 11:26 PM

a deftones/SOAD tour would definitely be sweet.
Old 04-10-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I was gonna post this last week, but everytime I post something about the Deftones it's like I'm talking to myself.

Anyways, can't wait for the new disc. Chino's side project disc Team Sleep should be out either in May or June. That's going to be fantastic!
Old 04-10-02, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Old 04-10-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That sounds great. I don't know about the title though, but deftones have always been pretty odd. I really enjoy Adrenaline and most of Around the Fur, but the only song I really really like on White Pony is Passenger. A tour with SOAD would be cool I guess, but the deftones are probably he very worst band I have ever seen live. Chino just can't sing.
Old 04-10-02, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Ergyu
That sounds great. I don't know about the title though, but deftones have always been pretty odd. I really enjoy Adrenaline and most of Around the Fur, but the only song I really really like on White Pony is Passenger. A tour with SOAD would be cool I guess, but the deftones are probably he very worst band I have ever seen live. Chino just can't sing.
I saw them twice in concert. The first time it was a small ass club, and it was hella loud so it kind of drowned out his vocals for the most part. The second time was at Ozzfest in a huge outdoor arena...that time I could hear him, and to say the least it was not that great. I hear Chino smokes alot which really affect his vocals live. He always sounds great on cd though? go figure. The do give off awesome energy at their concerts tho despite his vocals sometimes.

I also loved White Pony, and that different sound, but it will be nice to see them back at their hard playing roots.
Old 04-10-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't wait for this album to drop. The Deftones have improved with each new album and I can't wait to hear what Team Sleep sounds like.
Old 04-10-02, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Ergyu
I couldn't disagree more. The only time I heard Chino sound bad was this past tour w/ Godsmack. He had just come back from missing a few dates because of vocal problems. He didn't sound great, but still better than most crap out there.

As for the title, it's unique. It's gonna fool alot of people, though. You hear 'Lovers' and you think it's all mellow and nice. This disc is gonna go back to the roots and sound alot like Adrenaline. I can't wait!
Old 04-11-02, 03:17 AM

First time I saw deftones at ozzfest 99 I hated them. Chino was drunk and they souded terrible. Then I got into the cda anyways, Saw them three times since and each time was great live. Go figure.
Old 04-11-02, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Deftones17

I couldn't disagree more. The only time I heard Chino sound bad was this past tour w/ Godsmack. He had just come back from missing a few dates because of vocal problems. He didn't sound great, but still better than most crap out there.

As for the title, it's unique. It's gonna fool alot of people, though. You hear 'Lovers' and you think it's all mellow and nice. This disc is gonna go back to the roots and sound alot like Adrenaline. I can't wait!
Saw them play here in '96 and he sounded great. Saw them live on VH-1 and he sounded B-A-D.
Old 04-11-02, 11:34 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Deftones17

This disc is gonna go back to the roots and sound alot like Adrenaline. I can't wait!
I certainly hope so. I'm the oddball that loves Adrenaline and only thought the last two albums were just ok.
Old 04-11-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by joshhinkle

I certainly hope so. I'm the oddball that loves Adrenaline and only thought the last two albums were just ok.
Agreed Seeing them on the Adrenaline tour in small clubs was amazing.
Old 04-13-02, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've seen them like 6 or 7 times, and I've never heard them sound bad at all. In fact, in 2000 in DC, I thought that it was the best sounding concert I've ever seen.

And for those who think Chino can't sing...sorry, but you're wrong. LOL